Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

314 posts in this topic

It's Doris Day against the U.S. Census.  Who do you want to believe?

"Born 1922: age on April 10, 1940, in Hamilton County, Ohio, 91–346 (enumeration district), 2552 Warsaw Avenue, was 18 years old as per 1940 United States Census records; name transcribed incorrectly as "Daris Kappelhoff", included with mother Alma and brother Paul, all with same surname."

LOL. For some reason Doris lopped off 2 years way back when and kept to her story! (i would've lopped off FIVE! :D)

It's Doris Day against the U.S. Census.  Who do you want to believe?

"Born 1922: age on April 10, 1940, in Hamilton County, Ohio, 91–346 (enumeration district), 2552 Warsaw Avenue, was 18 years old as per 1940 United States Census records; name transcribed incorrectly as "Daris Kappelhoff", included with mother Alma and brother Paul, all with same surname."

DARIS? LOL!

LOL. For some reason Doris lopped off 2 years way back when and kept to her story! (i would've lopped off FIVE! :D)

If you're going to all that trouble, go for eight.

• Like 1

GayD and Genie, by any chance did either one of you read Doris Day, Her Own Story ? Doris collaborated with AE Hotchner for this book. I've read this one and wonder if the one you bothread is much different than this biography/autobiography that I read. I enjoyed the one I read. Her Own story was written in 1976 so I would imagine that the info in the book you guys read probably went beyond that.

She's a favorite of mine and I'd be interested in reading another bio of Doris.

The Kaufman book came out about 5 years ago and is more up to date, but doesnt have much detail about her private life in her later years (since she obviously didnt talk with him)  For instance he doesnt explain why Doris is estranged from her only grandson. It's a much longer book than hers (a bit too long in some respects, too many details about her movies) but it's good!

If you're going to all that trouble, go for eight.

LOL.

The Kaufman book came out about 5 years ago and is more up to date, but doesnt have much detail about her private life in her later years (since she obviously didnt talk with him)  For instance he doesnt explain why Doris is estranged from her only grandson. It's a much longer book than hers (a bit too long in some respects, too many details about her movies) but it's good!

is there any dish on the making of MIDNIGHT LACE?

(that movie cracks me up, every time i hear that voice on the phone say "Hello Mrs. Preston" I cannot supress the laughter.)

here we go, one of the ten BEST baaad movies ever made...well, maybe 15...Doris is COIFFED in this one.

edit- i draw your attention to 2:04 in the video. NO ONE has EVER gone to or gotten out of bed in real life with that hair, props though for having that be the only moment in the film where it actually moves, albeit minimally.

pss- THAT NECKLACE Myrna Loy has on! OMG!

• Like 1

In my encounters, it is the employee who initiates the encounter, while I am minding my own business. For example, I was in a Trader Joe's last week. They play music, and I was listening to a song under the only speaker that worked. The guard came up to me and said, "You've got to keep moving". I rest my case.

We have many Trader Joe's where I live and none of them have guards.   I guess you live in a bad area.   As others have already noted there must be something about how you look that reeks of guilt.    Where you wearing an orange jumpsuit like those guys we see picking up trash off the freeway?        :wacko:

I only ask because otherwise your story is very hard to believe. 

Day made a much better suspense film with Louis Jourdan.  He loved playing someone other than his usual roles. 

Day made a much better suspense film with Louis Jourdan.  He loved playing someone other than his usual roles. 

Yes, JULIE- which has some slightly goofy moments in it too. She and Jourdan had great chemistry, and apparently their real life friendship didn't sit well with Dodo's husband/producer at the time. wish they'd worked together again though, especially in a musical.

Maybe there's more to that story too though... I guess we'd have to ask "Daris."

• Like 1

here we go, one of the ten BEST baaad movies ever made...well, maybe 15...Doris is COIFFED in this one.

edit- i draw your attention to 2:04 in the video. NO ONE has EVER gone to or gotten out of bed in real life with that hair, props though for having that be the only moment in the film where it actually moves, albeit minimally.

pss- THAT NECKLACE Myrna Loy has on! OMG!

LOL!

(that movie cracks me up, every time i hear that voice on the phone say "Hello Mrs. Preston" I cannot supress the laughter.)

Yeah, there is, but I cant remember it. His opinion wasnt favorable (LOL)....

We have many Trader Joe's where I live and none of them have guards.   I guess you live in a bad area.   As others have already noted there must be something about how you look that reeks of guilt.    Where you wearing an orange jumpsuit like those guys we see picking up trash off the freeway?        :wacko:

I only ask because otherwise your story is very hard to believe. 

LMREO!!!!!!

Yes, JULIE- which has some slightly goofy moments in it too. She and Jourdan had great chemistry, and apparently their real life friendship didn't sit well with Dodo's husband/producer at the time. wish they'd worked together again though, especially in a musical.

Maybe there's more to that story too though... I guess we'd have to ask "Daris."

Yeah, it's over the top (especially the voice overs) but it's so entertaining you just go with the flow............

Poor Doris doesn't get a minute's rest in that movie. From the very first scene she's on edge and it just goes downhill from there (LOL)...

• Like 2

Filming Young Man with a Horn was a bad experience for Doris because it brought back bad memories of her abusive first husband and stressful big band travelling years without son Terry.

I forgot to mention her first husband's name was Al Jorden.  And Doris' name in Young Man with a Horn was Jo Jordan.  Son Terry Jorden was living with his grand mother during Doris' big band years.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention her first husband's name was Al Jorden.  And Doris' name in Young Man with a Horn was Jo Jordan.  Son Terry Jorden was living with his grand mother during Doris' big band years.

That's a strange coincidence.........

LMREO!!!!!!

Both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have multiple security guards. They apparently bring them in without giving them specific instructions about what to do Many are way over the line. They make up their own rules. When I go to Trader Joe's, I have to wait for my condo shuttle bus to get home. Often, I am finished shopping and the bus doesn't pass by for a while, so I am standing near the exit listening to the music. Sometimes, the guard will come up and say something like, "May I help you"?" My usual response is "I don't feel like playing 20 questions with you".

Both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have multiple security guards. They apparently bring them in without giving them specific instructions about what to do Many are way over the line. They make up their own rules. When I go to Trader Joe's, I have to wait for my condo shuttle bus to get home. Often, I am finished shopping and the bus doesn't pass by for a while, so I am standing near the exit listening to the music. Sometimes, the guard will come up and say something like, "May I help you"?" My usual response is "I don't feel like playing 20 questions with you".

I clearly understand why Whole Foods would have security guards.    Their prices are so high that stealing a bag of chips would be a felony.

• Like 3

LOL  :lol:

LOL. Isnt there somewhere else you can hang out that is more friendly? (while you are waiting I mean)

LOL. Isnt there somewhere else you can hang out that is more friendly? (while you are waiting I mean)

....like outside in the 20 degree cold? If it's warm outside, my perishables will spoil.

We have many Trader Joe's where I live and none of them have guards.   I guess you live in a bad area.   

forget-it-jake-its-chinatown.jpg

"Forget it, Jake. It's Philadelphia!"

(...and where the ONLY advantage living there instead of L.A. is that the cops always look the other way whenever you jaywalk!)

;)

• Like 1

forget-it-jake-its-chinatown.jpg

"Forget it, Jake. It's Philadelphia!"

(...and where the ONLY advantage living there instead of L.A. is that the cops always look the other way whenever you jaywalk!)

;)

LMREO!!!!!

....like outside in the 20 degree cold? If it's warm outside, my perishables will spoil.

No, I meant like stores where you could pretend to browse while waiting........

I've been wanting to see this movie.  I figure that TCM sells it in their shop as a TCM Vault film (or whatever they call it), it seems like they *should* have it available to be aired.  Hopefully soon...