Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

314 posts in this topic

At our house we had a metal milk box, and in winter the milk would freeze solid.

I kind of wonder if anyone ever went away for an extended trip, but accidentally got milk delivered for a few days and when they came back they had a milk door full of Roquefort cheese and a house that smelled like death.

• Like 1

I kind of wonder if anyone ever went away for an extended trip, but accidentally got milk delivered for a few days and when they came back they had a milk door full of Roquefort cheese and a house that smelled like death.

Any milkman who continued to deliver when he saw there already milk that had not been retrieved was clearly not of rocket scientist status.

Any milkman who continued to deliver when he saw there already milk that had not been retrieved was clearly not of rocket scientist status.

I meant it more as someone put the stop order in for thursday, but they left on tuesday instead so wednesdays milk sat there for a long time.

It coulda happened.

I meant it more as someone put the stop order in for thursday, but they left on tuesday instead so wednesdays milk sat there for a long time.

It coulda happened.

We had milk and eggs delivered up until I was around 7.   I asked my mom about this and she said what DGF implied.   If the milkman saw stuff already there (not picked up) he would just cancel the existing order.   

We had milk and eggs delivered up until I was around 7.   I asked my mom about this and she said what DGF implied.   If the milkman saw stuff already there (not picked up) he would just cancel the existing order.   

you know the saying about how if you have to explain a joke, it probably wasn't a good one?

for some reason, i still feel the need to defend my premise that, let's just say, you were leaving the country for six months on thursday, and you say "make Wednesday the last day for delivery until i get back" to the milk/eggman

BUT THEN, right before you're due to leave, you see you were supposed to leave on TUESDAY afternoon, and in a panic, you forget to call to say "no, don't deliver wednesday either" and the egg/milk man puts the eggs and milk in the milk door on Wednesday and it stays there until you return in six months, and you return home to find the aforementioned Roquefort cheese, as well as one mean, mentally unbalanced and very surly chicken who has survived by eating his brothers and sisters who hatched after him some time in June.

All right, that last part is a stretch, BUT DAMNIT IT COULD HAPPEN!!!!!!!!

ps- this is also assuming you don't have someone coming in to clean once a week or something while you're out.

• Like 1

you know the saying about how if you have to explain a joke, it probably wasn't a good one? for some reason, i still feel the need to defend the premise that, let's just say, you were leaving the country for six months on thursday, and you say "make Wednesday the last day for delivery until i get back" BUT your friends called and were all "hey girl, we

Ok I see you're point now.   Well look on the bright side.  When they came back from that long trip they would have cheese waiting for them! 

• Like 1

Can't blame the milkman in 2016. There aren't any.

All this talk of milk delivery made me wax nostalgic so I did some Googling. They still deliver milk on Long Island, NY, where I grew up, though not in my exact area. Sign of the times, though - the dairy company has a Facebook page...

My favorite is whole milk, preferably with chocolate syrup in it. :)

Well, if you had milk delivered early in the a.m. on what turned out to be a scorching hot day, and forgot about bringing it in until evening, I'd bet you have yourself some funky concoction...

Taking things back to Doris Day,  I was watching the Ken Burn's show JAZZ on PBS last night.

One musician covered was Bix Beiderbecke.   The Douglas\Bacall\Day film Young Man with a Horn was based loosely on his life.     This is my favorite Day film.

• Like 1

Taking things back to Doris Day,  I was watching the Ken Burn's show JAZZ on PBS last night.

One musician covered was Bix Beiderbecke.   The Douglas\Bacall\Day film Young Man with a Horn was based loosely on his life.     This is my favorite Day film.

Knowing you are a fan of film noir, I am not surprised it is your favourite Doris Day movie.  It is a nourish musical drama.

Knowing you are a fan of film noir, I am not surprised it is your favourite Doris Day movie.  It is a nourish musical drama.

There are many reason I'm a fan of Young Man with a Horn.    First it provides a very realistic take of a musician that has a strong desire to get to, and maintain their 'sound'.    i.e. the 'sound' being everything.    This desire is what drives him and at the same time helps destroy him as well.     

There is of course fine music in the film and I have always been a fan of Day and her singing when there is swing to it.    Finally there is Bacall;   she doesn't play a likeable gal but she is an interesting,  odd one.    The so called romance between the musician and her adds a unique twist to the film (as well as the 'is she, or isn't she' nature of the character's sexuality).    

• Like 1

There are many reason I'm a fan of Young Man with a Horn.    First it provides a very realistic take of a musician that has a strong desire to get to, and maintain their 'sound'.    i.e. the 'sound' being everything.    This desire is what drives him and at the same time helps destroy him as well.     

There is of course fine music in the film and I have always been a fan of Day and her singing when there is swing to it.    Finally there is Bacall;   she doesn't play a likeable gal but she is an interesting,  odd one.    The so called romance between the musician and her adds a unique twist to the film (as well as the 'is she, or isn't she' nature of the character's sexuality).    

Yes, it is a fantastic musical as well.  Great film!

• Like 1

Yes, it is a fantastic musical as well.  Great film!

I love YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN 1950 except for the scenes with Lauren Bacall. Her character of the painter pianist Amy grated on my nerves. I like Bacall, but the screenplay let me down with her role. Maybe if she hadn`t broken Rick`s treasured Art Hazzard record collection, I could have taken her better. The scenes with Rick,Smoke,Jo, and Art are wonderful. I own the cd soundtrack to the film.

• Like 1

Except for the happy ending......

• Like 1

GregoryPeckfan" post="1276374" time:

Eugenia- the thread has already been off topic for a while.

I thought that I'd throw in this post as a why not?

Me:

Hibi (the OP) is a good hostess, she doesnt mind too bad if the conversation wanders a tad.

Nice as it is to talk Doris, I'm still slightly beguiled by the whole notion of a door in your house that people would deliver dairy products through.

Well, it wasnt big enough to crawl though,. but you could stick your arm though to unlock our door! (I did once)

• Like 2

All this talk of milk delivery made me wax nostalgic so I did some Googling. They still deliver milk on Long Island, NY, where I grew up, though not in my exact area. Sign of the times, though - the dairy company has a Facebook page...

My favorite is whole milk, preferably with chocolate syrup in it. :)

WOW. That's nice to hear it still exists somewhere............

To segue back to Doris, there was a milkman in SEND ME NO FLOWERS who was a notorious gossip.

Yes, this is true. And he was played by that actor who appeared in hundreds of films (I cant remember his name)........

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find it on the newsstands.......

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find it on the newsstands.......

What kind of magazine is this? A new competitor to PEOPLE and US? 

Beats me. There are many magazine clones of this type..........

What kind of magazine is this? A new competitor to PEOPLE and US? 

I was wondering this myself, I don't recognize the title and I'm intrigued by the large vintage pic of Doris ca. 1970 with the much smaller pic of present day-Doris; which kind of gives one the impression that Doris has made a very successful deal with The Devil and LOOKS KILLER for 92.

...would also love to hear the mag's promised "DETAILS"  in re: "MERYL STREEP: HER YOUNGER YEARS."

(Some anecdotes about her witnessing the signing of the Magna Carta, no doubt.)

I was wondering this myself, I don't recognize the title and I'm intrigued by the large vintage pic of Doris ca. 1970 with the much smaller pic of present day-Doris; which kind of gives one the impression that Doris has made a very successful deal with The Devil and LOOKS KILLER for 92.

"Closer" could be the title of a magazine with articles about effective sales techniques.

• Like 1