jaragon

Classic Films with a Gay Twist

173 posts in this topic

A while back someone ( whose true identity must remain a secret) started a board riot when he dared suggest that Marty could not find a girlfriend to get married because perhaps he was actually gay ?! ( oh no!!! gasp !!the horror!!)  so what other classic movies could work if the main characters were re-written as gay...?

A while back someone ( whose true identity must remain a secret) started a board riot when he dared suggest that Marty could not find a girlfriend to get married because perhaps he was actually gay ?! ( oh no!!! gasp !!the horror!!)  so what other classic movies could work if the main characters were re-written as gay...?

Gilda has been mentioned in this light and I think a remake where the Ford character is gay would really work and be more interesting.   Gilda and the young gay man have a history that goes back to their teens but their bond was that between a young women and a young gay man.   They become very protective of each other.   Years later he finds out she is married to an evil man.   Many of the actions he takes in the film Gilda could remain but instead of sexual jealousy between the two younger folks being the motive it is about protecting her as well as the fact that the evil man is bisexual and had an affair with the young man.   In Gilda the Ford character is really bitter and he could still be here but for different reasons.    

• Like 1

" Back Street" ( 1961) could be shot with the same script just change the Sussan Heyward character to a man- ( Anthony Perkins perhaps?) The story would still be about a forbidden romance -you would need some tweaking- the wedding dress scene would have to be changed unless you wanted to make it a comedy.

"The Moon Is Blue" - the young female virgin would be re-invented as a young male virgin - and he would be pursued by two gay men - one who is slightly older and very smitten and one who is much older and clearly in heat - this one could be a very funny movie, I think.

• Like 1

"The Best Of Everything" - Caroline, Gregg, April, Mary Agnes and Barbara are now played by four good-looking, hot, hot guys - everything else remains the same.

• Like 1

The Children's Hour where Audrey Hepburn admits her sexual feelings for Shirley MacLaine, and she saves her from her suicide attempt and they get married, and James Garner heads the school while they live in France. 

• Like 1

"The Lost Weekend" in the novel Don's drinking problem is linked to his inability to deal with homosexual desires.

• Like 1

Ben-Hur (1959) where after Judah Ben-Hur and Messala reunite, they share dinner and make passionate, barbaric love and then, in the morning, Messala then betrays him saying "I just wanted one last night." 

• Like 2

Ben-Hur (1959) where after Judah Ben-Hur and Messala reunite, they share dinner and make passionate, barbaric love and then, in the morning, Messala then betrays him saying "I just wanted one last night." 

LOL- love this !

• Like 1

Hitchcock's "Notorious" - Devlin (Grant) is force to use his young lover Alec ( Farley Granger)  to seduce Sebastian ( Claude Rains) a suspected Nazi spy.

• Like 2

Young Man With A Horn (1950) Lauren Bacall's Amy North tells Kirk Douglas's Rick Martin- in one of their last confrontational scenes- "Hey, jazzy- I married you because I needed a beard. If I didn't already know she was straight, I would go for Jo Jordan too." And classic Bacall walks away- a victor. 

• Like 2

The Maltese Falcon (1941)- where it isn't a shock that Peter Lorre's character could be gay because he's already out of the closet and takes offense to the subtle insults. 

• Like 1

"Red River" (1948) at the final fade out- Matt ( Monty Clift ) and Cherry ( John Ireland ) ride off into the sunset and finally decide who has the best looking gun  ;)

• Like 2

Any John Wayne film where he has to prove his masculinity and instead comes out of the closet.

"Humoresque"  poor talented violinist Paul Bernay ( John  Garfield) has a torrid affair with Alan Wright ( Ray Milland ) a self destructive millionaire which threatens to destroy his musical career.

• Like 1

"An American In Paris" - Gene Kelly falls in love with another GI, George Chakiris.

Well we will always have Paris!

• Like 2

"West Side Story" Tony  and Mario must hide their secret love from their respective gangs

or maybe Riff has this secret thing for Bernado ( A boy like that will make you gay!)
  • Like 1

"West Side Story" Tony  and Mario must hide their secret love from their respective gangs

or maybe Riff has this secret thing for Bernado ( A boy like that will make you gay!)

I would love a love story between Riff and Bernardo.

I would love a love story between Riff and Bernardo.

This is subplot they might consider for the next revival... :)  ( and there is always slash fiction)

• Like 1

Sylvia Scarlett (1936)

Katharine Hepburn's character just says she's transgender and in the typical 1930's fashion, poses as a man for the rest of his life and marries the woman he was seeing. 

• Like 2

"The Great Gatsby" - at the end Gatsby realizes that his true love is Nick not Daisyhttps://youtu.be/KYq3Y6vwrTs

In the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald and the movie by Jack Clayton, there is little doubt that Nick Carraway is strongly attracted to Jay Gatsby.

• Like 1

In the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald and the movie by Jack Clayton, there is little doubt that Nick Carraway is strongly attracted to Jay Gatsby.

Fitzgerald's novel is one my favorite books which I've read many times but had never thought about the Carroway/Gatsby bromance.

In the last remake because the characters are played an actual bromantic couple - Decaprio and Maguire that story line is even more obvious - the problem with all the movies is that Daisy is impossible to cast- she is like a dream girl that only exist in Gatsby's mind.  Nick clearly is a more down to earth possibility- I wonder if Fitzgerald ever thought of giving the two men a happy ending?

• Like 1