jaragon

Classic Films with a Gay Twist

169 posts in this topic

"Easter Parade" (1948 ) Fred Astaire tries to turn a chorus boy Henry ( Gene Kelly) into a star. The Peter Lawford character would now be a bisexual- and there is a new production number "The Boy on the Magazine Cover"

• Like 2

"All That Heaven Allows" (1955) James Stewart a lonely widower falls in love with Rock Hudson over the objection of his children and snobbish friends. 

• Like 2

Pillow Talk (1959). Doris Day pursues a romance with Lauren Bacall, a popular bachelorette, much to the surprise of the landlady, Thelma Ritter, who secretly has the hots for Doris too.

• Like 2

"Bell, Book, and Candle" (1958)- James Stewart an about to be married straight man  falls under the seductive spell of a sexy warlock ( Tab Hunter)

• Like 1

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes are in love with each other ( yeah I did not want to start another thread- but after teasing us with three movies about their special friendship it's about time these two got together...)

• Like 1

"The Day the Earth Stood Still". An alien lands in Washington DC and has an affair with half of a gay DC power couple, and soon the jilted half of the power couple mysteriously disappears at the same time Gort is found to be missing after being encased in a block of KL93.

• Like 2

"Funny Face" (1957) A  fashion photographer (Fred Aistaire) turns a shy Greenwich Village store clerk ( Anthony Perkins) into male model.

• Like 1

"Sunset Boulevard" (1950) A struggling screen writer Joe Gillis ( William Holden) thinks he has the upper hand when he is hired an unstable silent movie idol Norman Desmond (Ramon Navarro) to work on his comeback vehicle "Alexander the Great". 

• Like 2

"Sunset Boulevard" (1950) A struggling screen writer Joe Gillis ( William Holden) thinks he has the upper hand when he is hired an unstable silent movie idol Norman Desmond (Ramon Navarro) to work on his comeback vehicle "Alexander the Great". 

That twist would make for a really good story.    Joe isn't gay, but just pretends to be "interested" so that he can continue to live the good life off Norman.    This slight change in the story would provide a much stronger reason for Norman to kill Joe then what we see in the movie where Norma's motives are mostly because she is off her rocker.     Norman's reaction would be something more human and relatable.

• Like 2

All About Eve (1950)- Margo Channing splits from Bill after an impassioned affair with Eve Harrington. Addison De Witt catches Margo and Eve in the act and becomes Eve's agent in exchange for his silence. 

• Like 1

That twist would make for a really good story.    Joe isn't gay, but just pretends to be "interested" so that he can continue to live the good life off Norman.    This slight change in the story would provide a much stronger reason for Norman to kill Joe then what we see in the movie where Norma's motives are mostly because she is off her rocker.     Norman's reaction would be something more human and relatable.

Yeah I totally agree the story would still work but have an added dimension if Joe goes gay for pay

• Like 1

"Death Wish " (1974)  A New York City gay man (Charles Bronson) becomes a vigilante after his lover ( Jan Michael Vincent) is killed by a homophobic gang attack.

• Like 1

" The Ghost and Mr Muir"( 1947) -In 1900 a widower Mr Muir ( Tyrone Power)   goes to live at a  sea side cottage haunted by a ghost (Rex Harrison)

Dirk Bogarde as Sidney Carlton in "A Tale of Two Cities" -

Dirk Bogarde's performance in this film is so much that of a gay man on the outside who is looking in and wants to do something meaningful in his life and definitely wants to be remembered, too  -

The performance adds an extra dimension to Sidney Carlton -

Now, I am pretty sure that this extra dimension was an accidental performance - that is was not a conscious decision and just sort of "leaked in" -

Bogarde was pretty careful to keep his gay sexuality out of his pre-"Victim" films -

Still, this gay-tinged performance does turn the film into a very interesting (but probably not intended) interpretation of "A Tale Of Two Cities". 

I loved it.

Below, Sidney Carlton and Charles Darnay:

Tale+of+Two+Cities2.jpg

a-tale-of-two-cities-1958-4.jpg

• Like 2

"House Of Bamboo" - a gangster (Robert Ryan) falls in love with one of his henchman (Robert Stack) -

DOOMED LOVE OR PRICELESS OBSESSION? -

house-of-bamboo-1955-shirley-yamaguchi-r

• Like 1

Dirk Bogarde as Sidney Carlton in "A Tale of Two Cities" -

Dirk Bogarde's performance in this film is so much that of a gay man on the outside who is looking in and wants to do something meaningful in his life and definitely wants to be remembered, too  -

The performance adds an extra dimension to Sidney Carlton -

Now, I am pretty sure that this extra dimension was an accidental performance - that is was not a conscious decision and just sort of "leaked in" -

Bogarde was pretty careful to keep his gay sexuality out of his pre-"Victim" films -

Still, this gay-tinged performance does turn the film into a very interesting (but probably not intended) interpretation of "A Tale Of Two Cities". 

I loved it.

Below, Sidney Carlton and Charles Darnay:

Tale+of+Two+Cities2.jpg

a-tale-of-two-cities-1958-4.jpg

Those pants look gay ;)

• Like 1

"House Of Bamboo" - a gangster (Robert Ryan) falls in love with one of his henchman (Robert Stack) -

DOOMED LOVE OR PRICELESS OBSESSION? -

house-of-bamboo-1955-shirley-yamaguchi-r

Ryan is giving that Stack that kiss me or I'll kill you look

• Like 1

Ryan is giving that Stack that kiss me or I'll kill you look

House of Bamboo has many interesting sexual subtexts.   I wonder what percentage of the audience got them at the time it was released  

• Like 2

" Sudden Fear" (1952)  Cary Grant , a wealthy gay playwright becomes involved with a bisexual actor  Jack Palance who is planning to kill him him for his money.

• Like 1