jaragon

Classic Films with a Gay Twist

215 posts in this topic

Week-End in Havana (1941)

John Spencer (Franchot Tone) is accompanied by Jay Williams (John Payne) on his vacation to Havana. John eventually falls in love with Monte Blanca (Cesar Romero), but Monte has to keep his jealous boyfriend (Tyrone Power, Romero's real life boyfriend) away.

• Like 3

Week-End in Havana (1941)

John Spencer (Franchot Tone) is accompanied by Jay Williams (John Payne) on his vacation to Havana. John eventually falls in love with Monte Blanca (Cesar Romero), but Monte has to keep his jealous boyfriend (Tyrone Power, Romero's real life boyfriend) away.

Payne and Romero would have made a hot movie couple

• Like 2

Payne and Romero would have made a hot movie couple

Yes! :)

What about Tyrone Power and Cesar Romero? Would they have made a hot movie couple? It's common knowledge now they were a real life couple.

• Like 3

Yes! :)

What about Tyrone Power and Cesar Romero? Would they have made a hot movie couple? It's common knowledge now they were a real life couple.

Ty and Caesar took an around the world flight who knows what they were up to...?  I wish Romero had written an honest biography but he was too old school to reveal all.  Love the suggestion of the final line herehttps://youtu.be/1IQceNsGziU

Is he suggesting that he will go gay for pay with Payne for right price?  ;)

• Like 1

Ty and Caesar took an around the world flight who knows what they were up to...?  I wish Romero had written an honest biography but he was too old school to reveal all.  Love the suggestion of the final line herehttps://youtu.be/1IQceNsGziU

Is he suggesting that he will go gay for pay with Payne for right price?  ;)

In a revealing interview with Boze Hadleigh, Cesar Romero admitted to his love affair with Tyrone Power.

• Like 2

In a revealing interview with Boze Hadleigh, Cesar Romero admitted to his love affair with Tyrone Power.

Just from looking at their photos together they were obviously more than just a bromance.

• Like 2

Springtime in the Rockies (1942)

Dance partners Betty (Betty Grable) and Dan (Tyrone Power) split up due to his "flirtatious behavior". Betty, who still loves Dan, follows Dan to the Rockies- only to find out Dan is a closeted homosexual with a male lover (Cesar Romero, Power's real life boyfriend).

• Like 3

The Angel Wore Red (1960)

A nun (Gloria DeHaven) leaves the seminary due to her homosexuality and falls in love with an entertainer (Ava Gardner).

• Like 2

September Affair (1950)

A photographer (Joseph Cotten) and a lawyer (Gregory Peck) fall in love while on vacation and live their new lives together while presumed dead in a plane crash.

• Like 3

"Picnic" (1956) A handsome young drifter (Paul Newman) stirs  homosexual desires in the men of a small town.

• Like 1

Having Wonderful Time (1938)

A bored city boy (Cary Grant) goes on vacation to the Catskill Mountains and falls in love with a waiter (Douglas Fairbanks Jr.).

• Like 3

"Mountains of the Moon" (1990) based on a true story about Burton and Speke's search for the source of the Nile- there is one hot gay kiss

• Like 1

"Mountains of the Moon" (1990) based on a true story about Burton and Speke's search for the source of the Nile- there is one hot gay kiss

As I remember it, a sexual tension did exist between John Hanning Speke (Ian Glen) and Sir Richard Burton (Patrick Bergin).

Also, Speke's friend (Richard H. Grant) might have been his lover.

182172_full.jpg

• Like 2

As I remember it, a sexual tension did exist between John Hanning Speke (Ian Glen) and Sir Richard Burton (Patrick Bergin).

182172_full.jpg

The film is very tame except for that fever induced kiss

• Like 1

182172_full.jpg

Richard Francis Burton was very interested in sexuality- during his time in the army he went undercover at a male brothel  and in his travels he would even measure the endowment of the native men.( for research purposes of course).    There is not actual proof that he was gay or bi but it sounds to me that a man as daring as Burton   would have gone beyond a single kiss with his fellow explorer Speake

• Like 1

Richard Francis Burton was very interested in sexuality- during his time in the army he went undercover at a male brothel  and in his travels he would even measure the endowment of the native men.( for research purposes of course).    There is not actual proof that he was gay or bi but it sounds to me that a man as daring as Burton   would have gone beyond a single kiss with his fellow explorer Speake

Yes, "Mountains of the Moon" is a fascinating film by Bob Rafeson, because so much of it does seem to be "buried".

I do wish that it were a better-known film.

I saw this in the theater and was pretty surprised by the scene. This was two years before the ground breaking The Crying Game and some of us lived in an EXTREMELY homophobic environment.

Wonderful thing about the 19th Victorian century though. Nobody discussed what happened behind closed doors, not even heterosexual married couples blessed by a priest. When you read a lot of literature and poetry of the times, it wasn't just Walt Whitman discussing "brotherly love". During the Civil War and other bloody conflicts, in addition to treks through African wilderness, women just weren't available and it is unlikely every man stayed abstinent until he got back to Melanie Wilkes.

I have read up a bit on Burton. Oh... he had no shame to his game. I am sure he did more than most 19th century men. Also had plenty of opportunity without others watching.

• Like 2

I saw this in the theater and was pretty surprised by the scene. This was two years before the ground breaking The Crying Game and some of us lived in an EXTREMELY homophobic environment.

Wonderful thing about the 19th Victorian century though. Nobody discussed what happened behind closed doors, not even heterosexual married couples blessed by a priest. When you read a lot of literature and poetry of the times, it wasn't just Walt Whitman discussing "brotherly love". During the Civil War and other bloody conflicts, in addition to treks through African wilderness, women just weren't available and it is unlikely every man stayed abstinent until he got back to Melanie Wilkes.

I have read up a bit on Burton. Oh... he had no shame to his game. I am sure he did more than most 19th century men. Also had plenty of opportunity without others watching.

Yes, I do believe that Sir Richard Burton was a bisexual man.

• Like 1

Yes, I do believe that Sir Richard Burton was a bisexual man.

Burton was an adventurer - he was married but obviously enjoyed the company of men-  'Mountains of the Moon" which really should be better known- ( TCM should run it)

• Like 1

TCM did air it before. I watched some of it at the time, but it was late in the evening. They were doing African dramas. Gorillas In The Mist was also shown about that time.

• Like 2

Dead Poets Society (1989)

Gay teen Knox Overstreet (Josh Charles) falls in love with bisexual Christian (River Phoenix) and goes to his school to read him a poem he wrote- only to discover Christian has a girlfriend (Alyssa Milano).

• Like 1

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Bianca Stratford (Larisa Oleynik) falls in love with bisexual aspiring model Joey Donner (Andrew Keegan) but soon finds out Joey is having an affair with a male model (Rider Strong) and leaves Joey for classmate Cameron (Joseph Gordon Levitt).

• Like 2

"The House that Screamed" the same script about sexual repression and murder but set in all male school ( I really would pay to see it)

• Like 1

Ransom! (1956)

Dave Stannard (Glenn Ford) and his spouse, Eric (Joseph Cotten), stop at nothing to find their son, Andy (Bobby Clark), after they realize he has been kidnapped.

• Like 2

"La La Land" (2016) A jazz musician ( Ryan Gosling) falls in love with an actor ( Zac Efrom) as they struggle for success in Hollywood.

• Like 3