darkblue

Bernie Sanders!

1,156 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The above is too simplified of course they'll say no. If you give the the specifics of how it lays out and work, it would change.

That's the problem with polls, as we found out in 2016.  They ask simplistic questions and then when the people have to actually decide, they change their minds.

However, none of the supporters has laid out how it will be financed.  Bernie keeps side-stepping the total cost and how it gets paid.  Every model I have seen requires tax increases for the middle class and workers.

MFA is much like ACA in that there is too much of "let's pass it and then figure out how it works" as Pelosi said about ACA.

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

However, none of the supporters has laid out how it will be financed.  Bernie keeps side-stepping the total cost and how it gets paid.  Every model I have seen requires tax increases for the middle class and workers.

So how does it work everywhere else in the World, they've obviously found a way to do it, are we inept?

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

So how does it work everywhere else in the World, they've obviously found a way to do it, are we inept?

high taxes across the board.

6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

high taxes across the board.

And ZERO medical expenses.... fair trade

dSnxnrp.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheCid said:

That's the problem with polls, as we found out in 2016.  They ask simplistic questions and then when the people have to actually decide, they change their minds.

MFA is much like ACA in that there is too much of "let's pass it and then figure out how it works" as Pelosi said about ACA.

Bernie gave the answer to the tax increase "in that post with FOX news". I find it shameful that people rise up in resistance to medicare for all but so little is said against the ease of more spending for the military industrial war machine.
My personal experience is my wife has cancer and she has two upcoming operations. Her costly insurance has a 10 thousand dollar deductible, that could bankrupt many millions of Americans.
Those who stand against medicare for all stand with the corporate democrats and corporate republicans.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

fork him ... he's cooked ... no chance for the presidency now ...

• Thanks 1

yes!...I do believe that Charles Manson should have been allowed to vote!

Image result for bernie sanders

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

yes!...I do believe that Charles Manson should have been allowed to vote!

Image result for bernie sanders

you would, stupid.

The InterceptVerified account @theintercept 7h7 hours ago

Rep. @AOC & Sen. @BernieSanders team up on new legislation

that would effectively put the payday-lending industry out of business https://interc.pt/2VmzIgS  by @ddayen

---------------------------------------------------------

"....The bill is called the Loan Shark Prevention Act, and it’s only two pages long. It includes language that would prevent lenders from adding fees to “evade” the interest rate cap and sets penalties for violators, including a forfeiture of all interest on the illegal loans.

According to Ocasio-Cortez’s office, the freshman representative plans to suggest postal banking as a public option for consumer lending, though that is not in the legislation. A postal lending option would in theory minimize the impact on access to credit from the rate cap. Sanders endorsed postal banking during his 2016 presidential campaign........

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

The InterceptVerified account @theintercept 7h7 hours ago

Rep. @AOC & Sen. @BernieSanders team up on new legislation

that would effectively put the payday-lending industry out of business https://interc.pt/2VmzIgS  by @ddayen

---------------------------------------------------------

"....The bill is called the Loan Shark Prevention Act, and it’s only two pages long. It includes language that would prevent lenders from adding fees to “evade” the interest rate cap and sets penalties for violators, including a forfeiture of all interest on the illegal loans.

According to Ocasio-Cortez’s office, the freshman representative plans to suggest postal banking as a public option for consumer lending, though that is not in the legislation. A postal lending option would in theory minimize the impact on access to credit from the rate cap. Sanders endorsed postal banking during his 2016 presidential campaign........

Another questionable idea.  The problem that I see is that the USPS is an organization that is not anywhere near self-sufficient now, so should it really get into banking?  The assumption by AOC, Warren, Sanders, et. al. is that the unbanked and underbanked will take the money they have "under the mattress" and deposit it with the USPS.  Then the USPS will lend that money at very low rates to other unbanked and underbanked people.  And the second group will pay it back even though the problem with pay day lending is that those same people do not pay back their current loans, but just roll them over and over and over.

I don't see the USPS coming anywhere close to being able to cover all the defaulted loans that would happen, much less pay interest of any kind on the deposits.

I don't disagree that there is a need for something to encourage people who cannot meet the minimum deposit amounts at banks today to save money, just don't think this is it.  I would also say that the number of post offices in the country is declining, so access is not a lot better.  Live in a town with population of about 4,500 and we have four banks and one post office.  Banks are open 9:00 to 5:00 and PO is open 8 to 5, but closed from 12 to 2. 

Won't go anywhere anyway as the Senate will never approve it and Trump would veto it if it did.  Trump and his appointees have essentially removed the caps on interest that pay day lenders can charge, so the prohibited fees in this bill would not be necessary anyway.

same old response.........it'll never go anywhere, so why BOTHER??  :rolleyes:

maybe to show you STAND for SOMETHING??  :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, mr6666 said:

same old response.........it'll never go anywhere, so why BOTHER??  :rolleyes:

maybe to show you STAND for SOMETHING??  :wacko:

Just found this.  Are you replying to my post?  If so, it helps to quote so I will get a notification and will likely read it.  If not, what are you posting about?

6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Just found this.  Are you replying to my post?  If so, it helps to quote so I will get a notification and will likely read it.  If not, what are you posting about?

your  quote:

".... Won't go anywhere anyway as the Senate will never approve it and Trump would veto it if it did. ..."

:huh:

20 hours ago, mr6666 said:

your  quote:

".... Won't go anywhere anyway as the Senate will never approve it and Trump would veto it if it did. ..."

:huh:

Sorry, but I don't remember what this is in reference to.  But I am sure I am correct.

• Haha 1

Bernie SandersVerified account @BernieSanders 6h6 hours ago

Charter schools are led by unaccountable, private bodies, and their growth has drained funding from the public school system. When we are in the White House we will ban for-profit charter schools.

According to the campaign, Sanders will outline a series of reforms he deems necessary to charter school policy. Among them:
  • Mandating that charter schools comply with the same oversight requirements as public schools
  • Mandating that at least half of all charter school boards are teachers and parents
  • Disclosing student attrition rates, non-public funding sources, financial interests and other relevant data
  • Matching employment practices at charters with neighboring district schools, including standards set by collective bargaining agreements and restrictions on exorbitant CEO pay
  • Supporting the efforts of charter school teachers to unionize and bringing charter schools to the negotiating table

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/politics/bernie-sanders-charter-schools-ban/index.html

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Bernie SandersVerified account @BernieSanders 6h6 hours ago

Charter schools are led by unaccountable, private bodies, and their growth has drained funding from the public school system. When we are in the White House we will ban for-profit charter schools.

According to the campaign, Sanders will outline a series of reforms he deems necessary to charter school policy. Among them:
  • Mandating that charter schools comply with the same oversight requirements as public schools
  • Mandating that at least half of all charter school boards are teachers and parents
  • Disclosing student attrition rates, non-public funding sources, financial interests and other relevant data
  • Matching employment practices at charters with neighboring district schools, including standards set by collective bargaining agreements and restrictions on exorbitant CEO pay
  • Supporting the efforts of charter school teachers to unionize and bringing charter schools to the negotiating table

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/politics/bernie-sanders-charter-schools-ban/index.html

More misinformation from Sanders.  Most charter schools are NON-profit.  The largest operator of charter schools in S.C. is a private, non-profit, religious university (and it is not Bob Jones).

Why should half of charter school boards be teachers or parents if school boards do not have that requirement?    Teachers in most states do not have the right to unionize, so why should those at charter schools?  Most of the other "requirements" are nonsensical as well.

I do not support charter schools and am opposed to them receiving any government funds, but this is another example of how out of touch Sanders is with the real world outside his little bubble.  Charter schools were created because of the failure of public schools.  So what is his solution to that, other than throwing more money at the most expensive operation of state and local governments?

16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:unsure:

David SirotaVerified account @davidsirota 22h22 hours ago

THREAD: It’s almost as if @JoeBiden & @BernieSanders are literally opposites.

So the question is: which side are you on?

Scroll through this thread 👇

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1132055697368072192

Be aware, the referenced link is for a Bernie Sanders speechwriter.  Not exactly what you would call objective.

Ultimately it still comes down to which one can actually get elected and thereby accomplish more of the "progressive" Democratic agenda?  Biden.

sanders said that the public is tired of the democrat establishment. is that why immediately after announcing Biden's poll numbers shot way ahead of the other candidates?...including sanders.

:lol:

the democrat voters get it. if the democrat party is to beat trump they gotta get serious and not stand by while the msm kisses the heineys of all these far left candidates

the poll numbers are reflecting a gladness for a finally mainstream candidate. Biden.

Just watched the "People's Court - Starting a Family Feud", young 18 year old Gen Z learned the hard way her grandparents don't OWE her room / board and a living.  Judge Milian sternly said she needs to stand on her 2 feet. Walked out of the court room in the wrong direction mad and about to cry.

Looking for her to vote for Sanders.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:36 AM, TheCid said:

More misinformation from Sanders.  Most charter schools are NON-profit.  The largest operator of charter schools in S.C. is a private, non-profit, religious university (and it is not Bob Jones).

Why should half of charter school boards be teachers or parents if school boards do not have that requirement?    Teachers in most states do not have the right to unionize, so why should those at charter schools?  Most of the other "requirements" are nonsensical as well.

I do not support charter schools and am opposed to them receiving any government funds, but this is another example of how out of touch Sanders is with the real world outside his little bubble.  Charter schools were created because of the failure of public schools.  So what is his solution to that, other than throwing more money at the most expensive operation of state and local governments?

I support public funds to non-religious (secular),  charter schools;   Cities have to have a bargaining chip with the teacher-union.   Even uber-liberal school districts in CA have figured that out (as well as their always Dem mayors).

26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I support public funds to non-religious (secular),  charter schools;   Cities have to have a bargaining chip with the teacher-union.   Even uber-liberal school districts in CA have figured that out (as well as their always Dem mayors).

But where does it end?  Who decides which charter schools get the money and how much?  How can you discriminate between private charter schools and religious schools?  That is a problem throughout the South and many other Red and Purple states. 

Also, public education in most states is terribly underfunded as it is.  Diverting more money to private schools is not the answer.   Maybe it works in CA, but not in most states.  Please note that Sanders wants charter school teachers to be unionized.  I can foresee that Charter school teachers will become just as unionized as public school teachers eventually.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TheCid said:

But where does it end?  Who decides which charter schools get the money and how much?  How can you discriminate between private charter schools and religious schools?  That is a problem throughout the South and many other Red and Purple states. 

Also, public education in most states is terribly underfunded as it is.  Diverting more money to private schools is not the answer.   Maybe it works in CA, but not in most states.  Please note that Sanders wants charter school teachers to be unionized.  I can foresee that Charter school teachers will become just as unionized as public school teachers eventually.

CA has set up a sound process that allows parents to vote to fund a charter school when the local public school isn't serving their needs (i.e. not providing their kids a quality education).   Some public school admins are incompetent and \ or corrupt and competition is necessary to get them off their duff.    Also,  charter schools can fire incompetent teachers because they are not unionized.    So far charter schools have been able to get teachers that don't wish to belong to a union.