TopBilled

Tabloid headlines about stars' sexual orientations

31 posts in this topic

TopBilled, I believe these type of headlines sell magazines. And not just LGBT headlines either.

My sister works at Walmart, and she sometimes sneaks around on Fridays (that's when the new magazines are displayed) and reads the headlines. She sometimes tells me the headlines or I see them for myself.

One other thing you should probably know: These types of magazines often disrespect the deceased. One headline I read a few years ago was James Garner's Amazing Secret Life. The headline went on to say Garner cheated on his wife with Doris Day and Lauren Bacall and was a drug addict. Another headline I read right after Rod Taylor passed away was His Deadly Battle With Anorexia. It hurts to see anyone disrespected, and it's worse with the deceased because there's nothing they can do about the lies published in those types of magazines.

Sometimes these things are based on a small kernel of truth, then over-magnified. I believe in his autobiography Garner admitted to being a pot smoker. But of course a tabloid is going to say he was a drug addict, because it sounds scandalous and will sell more copies.

• Like 1

TopBilled, I believe these type of headlines sell magazines. And not just LGBT headlines either.

My sister works at Walmart, and she sometimes sneaks around on Fridays (that's when the new magazines are displayed) and reads the headlines. She sometimes tells me the headlines or I see them for myself.

One other thing you should probably know: These types of magazines often disrespect the deceased. One headline I read a few years ago was James Garner's Amazing Secret Life. The headline went on to say Garner cheated on his wife with Doris Day and Lauren Bacall and was a drug addict. Another headline I read right after Rod Taylor passed away was His Deadly Battle With Anorexia. It hurts to see anyone disrespected, and it's worse with the deceased because there's nothing they can do about the lies published in those types of magazines.

Yeah. I once read a headline that said that James Dean survived the car crash and went into hiding...

• Like 2

Sometimes these things are based on a small kernel of truth, then over-magnified. I believe in his autobiography Garner admitted to being a pot smoker. But of course a tabloid is going to say he was a drug addict, because it sounds scandalous and will sell more copies.

I never read James Garner's autobiography, but I agree with you. The tabloid picked up on Garner's admission and made it sound like he was a drug addict in order to sell more copies. The more scandalous, the better.

• Like 1

I never read James Garner's autobiography, but I agree with you. The tabloid picked up on Garner's admission and made it sound like he was a drug addict in order to sell more copies. The more scandalous, the better.

And it's not anything Garner or his estate can sue them on, because technically Garner admitted to using drugs.

• Like 1