TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

348 posts in this topic

The characters played by the great Robert Ryan in the following films...and working in chronological order of each film's release date, and not necessarily in the order of which of these characters need pitchforking the most:

Crossfire (1947)

The Racket (1951)

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

Billy Budd (1962)

(...oooh, was Bob ever good at playing bad)

Frollo (Cedric Hardwicke) in The Hunchback of Notre Dame for wanting Esmeralda (Maureen O'Hara) executed as a witch merely because she didn't want him....I know some folks can't take rejection well but this is ridiculous.

Frank and Cora in both versions (1946 and 1981) of The Postman Always Rings Twice. They had other options other than murder....there is a little thing called DIVORCE, and no worries of having karma catch up with you.

Scorpio in Dirty Harry, especially after he kidnapped the school bus driver and children....but Harry took care of that with a bullet.

Reverend Brown (Claude Atkins) as well as the torch carrying mob in Inherit the Wind. The Bible says you're supposed to love and pray for your enemies and God's enemies, not pray for their destruction.  Maybe a pitchfork is too severe in this case, so how about a thunderbolt to zap some compassion and common sense into them?

Marie (Virginia Mayo) in The Best Years of Our Lives. Fred was better off when she left him. I am against striking a woman, but boy oh boy she was asking for it with her remark about him only being able to find a job in the drugstore before she walked out on him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

The characters played by the great Robert Ryan in the following films...and working in chronological order of each film's release date, and not necessarily in the order of which of these characters need pitchforking the most:

Crossfire (1947)

The Racket (1951)

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

Billy Budd (1962)

(...oooh, was Bob ever good at playing bad)

I think Crossfire was the tops or should I say the worst?

Please add Clash By Night (1952) to that list.

Gotta add one more.....Alex Forest in Fatal Attraction, she made the lives of Dan (Michael Douglas) and his family miserable.....even if you think he deserved some grief (he never should have slept with her in the first place) his wife and child certainly didn't....and that poor bunny!

Find myself in a pitchforking mood today and I came up with a great candidate for it:

no_country_for_old_men_movie_image_javie

Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men!

This guy not only rates a pitchfork but deserves to have it with very sloooow delivery.

I figure he might be coming at me with his cattle gun but that's where I got him. My pitchfork's longer.

This was brought up in the I just watched thread, but I personally wouldn't mind driving the pitchfork into Warden Norton (Bob Gunton) in The Shawshank Redemption myself. He was subtle about it but he was one hypocritical, cruel and scheming SOB.

Dan Duryea's character in "Scarlet Street" (1945). He plays Joan Bennett's scuzzball boyfriend. The reason he gets the pitchfork, is because he's physically abusive towards his girlfriend. Also, he's a heel. 

Image result for dan duryea scarlet street

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Dan Duryea's character in "Scarlet Street" (1945). He plays Joan Bennett's scuzzball boyfriend. The reason he gets the pitchfork, is because he's physically abusive towards his girlfriend. Also, he's a heel. 

Image result for dan duryea scarlet street

In all honesty, both he and Bennett both deserved the pitchfork for the way they used Edward G. Robinson's character. They were both heels.

I mean, were we really supposed to feel bad when (SPOILER ALERT) they both got what was coming to them, she ends up getting stabbed to death by Robinson, Duryea's character ends up going to the chair for it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

In all honesty, both he and Bennett both deserved the pitchfork for the way they used Edward G. Robinson's character. They were both heels.

I mean, were we really supposed to feel bad when (SPOILER ALERT) they both got what was coming to them, she ends up getting stabbed to death by Robinson, Duryea's character ends up going to the chair for it?

lol forgot to mention that I haven't finished the movie yet... haha my own fault for continuing to read after you warned "Spoiler alert." I guess that's what I get for ignoring warnings haha. 

On 11/27/2017 at 8:22 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Gotta add one more.....Alex Forest in Fatal Attraction, she made the lives of Dan (Michael Douglas) and his family miserable.....even if you think he deserved some grief (he never should have slept with her in the first place) his wife and child certainly didn't....and that poor bunny!

She won't be ignored.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

lol forgot to mention that I haven't finished the movie yet... haha my own fault for continuing to read after you warned "Spoiler alert." I guess that's what I get for ignoring warnings haha. 

Oops, sorry about that....I didn't realize you weren't done watching the movie.

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Oops, sorry about that....I didn't realize you weren't done watching the movie.

I appreciate that, but it's not your fault. You did warn me, after all. Also, I pretty much already had some kind of idea where the movie was going... 

Peyton Place is currently on TCM. Instead of a pitchfork, the film's drunken, abusive rapist Lucas Cross (Arthur Kennedy) deseves, in the works of a line from Tootsie, an "electric cattle prod to zap him in the badubies"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Spoiler Alert! Well, he got clubbed to death, so hopefully you got some satisfaction out of that!

That guy was the most loathsome piece of crud, wasn't he? He's right up there with Tom Ewell of To Kill a Mockingbird.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

That guy was the most loathsome piece of crud, wasn't he? He's right up there with Tom Ewell of To Kill a Mockingbird.

You mean "Bob Ewell".

tve5441-110-11.gif

"I wasn't in To Kill a Mockingbird!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

You mean "Bob Ewell".

tve5441-110-11.gif

LOL, My apologies, Tom! Yes I meant to type in Bob, but didn't realize I put in Tom until I read this.

23 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

You mean "Bob Ewell".

tve5441-110-11.gif

"That's right. Bob Ewell was a weirdo who deserved a pitchfork. Thank God I'm normal."

tumblr_otb08qOQTD1wphe6no1_1280.png

• Haha 3

Charles Boyer is Gaslight. Ingrid should have used that knife while she had it in her hand!

• Like 1

Eddie, as portrayed by Walter Brennan in "To Have and Have Not".  The character is very annoying and adds next to nothing to the plot.

Agree with Dargo's earlier comment about Robert Ryan.  He was very good at playing very bad people.  Another person I'd put on the list is Richard Widmark.  Like Dan Duryea, he played many roles where his character was 'pitchforkable'.

14 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Agree with Dargo's earlier comment about Robert Ryan.  He was very good at playing very bad people.  Another person I'd put on the list is Richard Widmark.  Like Dan Duryea, he played many roles where his character was 'pitchforkable'.

The characters played at times by Ryan, Widmark and Duryea could be quite detestable, it's true. But the actors themselves are so good at playing those roles, and I find their characterizations so thoroughly enjoyable to view, if "enjoyable" is quite the right word to use, I would have a difficult time giving any of them a pitchfork.

The fact that all three of these actors were very nice guys in real life and you so want to pitchfork their characters, midwestern, is a major tribute to their acting talents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midwestan said:

Eddie, as portrayed by Walter Brennan in "To Have and Have Not".  The character is very annoying and adds next to nothing to the plot.

Eddie?   Yea, great choice!    In fact to me this is the perfect type of choice for this thread.   Of course those 'very bad people' are logical pitchforkable choices but they are just so 'duh';    a character like Eddie (or Winters in Place In the Sun),  are much more interesting choices IMO.

But Eddie does add something to the plot as it relates to the inner workings of Bogie's character;   while he comes off as a man that is only interested in himself (like Sam in Casablanca),  it is a ruse since clearly he will risk his neck for an annoying,  drunk and mostly useless (work wise) buddy.    So like the young lass from Bulgaria, Eddie is necessary to establish what would is a well used Bogie film persona.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Eddie?   Yea, great choice!    In fact to me this is the perfect type of choice for this thread.   Of course those 'very bad people' are logical pitchforkable choices but they are just so 'duh';    a character like Eddie (or Winters in Place In the Sun),  are much more interesting choices IMO.

But Eddie does add something to the plot as it relates to the inner workings of Bogie's character;   while he comes off as a man that is only interested in himself (like Sam in Casablanca),  it is a ruse since clearly he will risk his neck for an annoying,  drunk and mostly useless (work wise) buddy.    So like the young lass from Bulgaria, Eddie is necessary to establish what would is a well used Bogie film persona.

True, but Joy Page was much less annoying in "Casablanca" than Walter Brennan in "To Have and Have Not".  After all, she was great eye candy and obviously was willing to 'go all the way' with Humphrey Bogart, just like she did with Claude Rains.  I think Lauren Bacall would have preferred to get slapped multiple times with her passport from Dan Seymour than sleep with Walter Brennan, right?  If Eddie were written out of the script, I think the point you make about Bogart's persona and character would still have come across positively to the viewing audience.

5 hours ago, midwestan said:

True, but Joy Page was much less annoying in "Casablanca" than Walter Brennan in "To Have and Have Not".  After all, she was great eye candy and obviously was willing to 'go all the way' with Humphrey Bogart, just like she did with Claude Rains.  I think Lauren Bacall would have preferred to get slapped multiple times with her passport from Dan Seymour than sleep with Walter Brennan, right?  If Eddie were written out of the script, I think the point you make about Bogart's persona and character would still have come across positively to the viewing audience.

ToHaveAndHaveNot10.jpeg

"So, Harry, do ya think she wants to sleep with me?"

"I doubt it, Eddie. The young lady just threw up when you made the suggestion."

"That's why I think there might be a chance. Most of the time when I make a suggestion like that to a woman she shoots herself."

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I see we are having fun and I'm loving it.   Yea,  Joy Page was very nice to look at but when she keep going on and on asking Bogie questions, one can see how annoyed he gets.   He clearly wants to say 'hey, I'm not Dr. Phil!'.

As for if there was no Eddie;  Bacall's character couldn't be a substitute for Eddie because she was a very attractive women.   i.e. of course he helped her,,, he wanted to sleep with her.     It really needed to be someone like Eddie that offered little in return but was still someone he cared about and thus would go out of his way to help, for no reason other than he cared about them.

PS:  Note that in The Breaking Point,  there is no such sentimentality from Harry towards the 'Eddie' type character (Wesley) but instead it is the other way around;   Wesley really cares about Harry,  goes out of his way to assist him and it cost him his life.    But of course this is a true noir film while the Bogie version is a romantic adventure type film.  

• Thanks 1