RMeingast

"Beam me up, Scott-eh"

23 posts in this topic

"Star Trek" fans may be happy to hear that Canadian actor James Doohan has a stamp honouring him:
http://www.linns.com/news/world-stamps-postal-history/2016/april/star-trek-stamp-canada-scotty-james-doohan.html

Doohan's son, Chris "Scotty, Jr." Doohan, unveiled the stamp in Toronto:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/23/beam-the-mail-up-scotty

If you want to hear "Scotty's" normal voice, check out Doohan in this 1962 episode of "Gunsmoke":

Also, check out Doohan playing the cop seated in the chair in this 1964 episode of "The Outer Limits":

Great stuff, eh...

• Like 6

I'm going to have to make a confession here - -

I once went to a Star Trek convention and I attended a lecture given by Mr. Scott.

Full disclosure - - it was only a few blocks from my apartment and I was able to walk and someone gave me a free ticket.

Some guy dressed like Spock was sitting next to me. I felt a little uncomfortable but since everybody else was dressed that way, I guess I was the only person who looked odd to them. And the place was full of Kibbles - - I think I spelled that right.

Well I found out that Mr. Scott was really James Doohan and that it wasn't from Scotland and he didn't have a Scottish accent. He was from Canada. He talked about his early days in Show Business, as an actor on radio. He was very nice and a regular guy.

• Like 3

I once went to a Star Trek convention and I attended a lecture given by Mr. Scott.

Full disclosure - - it was only a few blocks from my apartment and I was able to walk and someone gave me a free ticket.

Some guy dressed like Spock was sitting next to me. I felt a little uncomfortable but since everybody else was dressed that way, I guess I was the only person who looked odd to them. And the place was full of Kibbles - - I think I spelled that right.

Well I found out that Mr. Scott was really James Doohan and that it wasn't from Scotland and he didn't have a Scottish accent. He was from Canada. He talked about his early days in Show Business, as an actor on radio. He was very nice and a regular guy.

Nice story here, Princess. However, I think you meant to say, "and the place was full of Tribbles"...

trouble-with-tribbles.jpeg

• Like 2

Deforest Kelly (Bones McCoy) in "Gunfight At The OK Corral" (1957)

Betcha didn't know DeForest had one hell of a time talkin' his way into becoming a Sierra Club member, did ya Ham?!

(...I know...didn't seem fair at all, did it...could he help it if his parents named him that?!)

;)

Deforest Kelly (Bones McCoy) in "Gunfight At The OK Corral" (1957)

Bones wasn't much help in the gunfight, a few seconds in he took a bullet and was out of action. His two brothers and Doc Holliday had to carry the day :D . 

Yes, DeForest Kelley gets his own Canada Post stamp too:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/star-trek-stamps-mccoy-1.3553836

And, Miss W, the stamp was unveiled this week at the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame in London, Ont.

dr-leonard-bones-mccoy-on-canadian-posta

And, and, y'all, I happened to watch yesterday, by chance, Kelley's "film debut" in the 1947 flick "Fear in the Night."

This movie is now in the public domain:

https://archive.org/details/Fear_in_the_Night

It's too bad that I missed posting the link to "Fear in the Night" before March 30 as TCM aired the 1956 remake "Nightmare" (both films screenplay and direction by Maxwell Shane) on that date.

Review of "Fear in the Night" by Cornell Woolrich expert Thomas C. Renzi here:
http://www.noiroftheweek.com/2008/11/fear-in-night-1947.html

And yes, for those who care, Canada Post has a Klingon stamp too for Canadian actor John Colicos, who played Klingon Commander Kor (the first Klingon to appear in the original TV series):
https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/consumer/details.page?article=2265/09/08/stamps_celebrate_50_&cattype=Consumer&cat=mailandmore

kor_stamp.png

More about Colicos here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Colicos

• Like 2

Nice story here, Princess. However, I think you meant to say, "and the place was full of Tribbles"...

trouble-with-tribbles.jpeg

Looks like Shatner was looking for a new wig and stumbled into Trump's closet.

• Like 6

Well I'm an unabashed Trek fan and attended a private screening of the second Star Trek movie with Doohan as the "host" at the Eastman House in Rochester NY.

Before the film was a short Q&A with Doohan, who was wonderful. He described seeing the first Star Trek movie and "...the Enterprise coming out of dry dock bringing a tear to my eye..." which it did for me also.

After the movie we were all instructed to stay seated for Doohan to record a quick promo for public television. He purposely flubbed the first take, which made the audience erupt in nervous laughter. This was his professional ploy to get the audience relaxed, we WERE sitting on the edge of our seats, holding our breath for the first take. Afterwards, we all sat back & relaxed. 

I was incredibly impressed with his professionalism & talent. You really take the breadth of talent & knowledge of these charactor actors for granted until you see it first hand.

• Like 5

And, Miss W, the stamp was unveiled this week at the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame in London, Ont.

And, and, y'all, I happened to watch yesterday, by chance, Kelley's "film debut" in the 1947 flick "Fear in the Night."

This movie is now in the public domain:

https://archive.org/details/Fear_in_the_Night

It's too bad that I missed posting the link to "Fear in the Night" before March 30 as TCM aired the 1956 remake "Nightmare" (both films screenplay and direction by Maxwell Shane) on that date.

Review of "Fear in the Night" by Cornell Woolrich expert Thomas C. Renzi here:

http://www.noiroftheweek.com/2008/11/fear-in-night-1947.html

And yes, for those who care, Canada Post has a Klingon stamp too for Canadian actor John Colicos, who played Klingon Commander Kor (the first Klingon to appear in the original TV series):

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/consumer/details.page?article=2265/09/08/stamps_celebrate_50_&cattype=Consumer&cat=mailandmore

kor_stamp.png

More about Colicos here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Colicos

I saw Fear in the Night recently on Silver Screen Classics. I preferred it to the remake.

I saw the Dr. McCoy stamp when it was unveiled and that was the stamp the excited me the most.  Dr. McCoy/Kelly has always been my favourite.

Yes, he was in WWII  RAF  and lost part of his finger in battle.

What great fun to have been in a lecture he gave.

I've seen him in several television/movie titles.  He was a real gentleman.

He acquitted himself a little better when the Star Trek

gang wound up in a bare bones version of the OK

Corral in one episode.

• Like 1

He acquitted himself a little better when the Star Trek

gang wound up in a bare bones version of the OK

Corral in one episode.

Yes, he also played Morgan Earp opposite Kirk Douglas as Doc Holiday and Burt Lancaster as Wyatt in the big screen gunfight at the OK Corral.  He said that when he was growing up he wanted to be a cowboy or a doctor and he ended up playing both in Hollywood.

Now see, if it were up to ME, I'da gone with somethin' more like THIS picture of DeForest, and with the caption on it...

tumblr_kzgxgxdkm91qb0job.jpg

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a philatelist!"

(...but I guess that's just me, huh)

• Like 1

"What am I a doctor or a moon-shuttle conductor?"

Dargo, any picture of Deforest Kelley would be great on a stamp as far as I am concerned.

Yes, he also played Morgan Earp opposite Kirk Douglas as Doc Holiday and Burt Lancaster as Wyatt in the big screen gunfight at the OK Corral.  He said that when he was growing up he wanted to be a cowboy or a doctor and he ended up playing both in Hollywood.

I know he shows up in a fair amount of TV westerns. From

what I remember, he played the bad guy more often than the

good guy.

Dammit Jim, you're going to make me run out of penicillin.

• Like 1

Yes, he was in WWII  RAF  and lost part of his finger in battle.

As a teenager growing up in Sarnia, Ont., Jimmy Doohan joined the Royal Canadian Army Cadets and he rose to be a cadet major.

This would have been between 1938-1940 while Doohan was attending the Sarnia Collegiate Institute (high school). In Canada, lots of high school-aged kids join either the Army Cadets, Air Cadets, or Navy Cadets (high school stoners who toke probably join the Space Cadets... :rolleyes: ). Then when you reach adult age, you can then join the regualr forces if you wish.

Photo of Cadet Major Jimmy here:

Maj._James_Doohan_1938.jpg

In 1940, Doohan joined the artillery as a private. By June 6, 1944 - D-Day - Jimmy was a lieutenant in the 13th Field Artillery Regiment of the 3rd Canadian Division. Doohan hit the Canadian beach on D-Day (Juno Beach was the Canuck sector,  Sword and Gold were Brits, Omaha and Utah were Americans) and saw combat, taking out  two German snipers..At about 11:30 p.m. on D-Day he was hit by friendly fire, being sprayed with machine-gun fire from a nervous Canadian sentry. Jimmy was hit with six bullets - four in his leg, one mangled the middle finger of his right hand (finger had to be amputated), and one hit his chest. The chest bullet would have been fatal if it had not been deflected by a silver cigarette case that had been a gift from Jimmy's brother.

9823c0ec596d4de7adfb5f681a1936d9.jpg

Doohan was evacuated to England and after his recovery and rehab he volunteered to be attached to the Royal Canadian Air Force as an artillery spotter. He learned to fly and was then posted to the 666th Air Observation Post Squadron, RCAF, in Holland where he was when the war ended.

Doohan also got the honour(?) of being called the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force" and you can read about how that happened here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78215847@N00/5061155514

For Trekkies, you can see Doohan's missing finger in a few episodes of the original series, and later in the movies, etc., but Doohan did try to hide his right hand during filming...

You can see a photo of Jimmy's handprints here:

1280px-Doohan.JPG

In Jimmy's autobiography, "Beam Me Up, Scotty," there's a chapter titled "Giving Hitler the Finger," that describes what happened to him on D-Day.

• Like 4

Thanks, RMeingast for the detailed information and the photographs.

I grew up in British Columbia.  My grandparents - all of whom have died - were WWII era.

I am a big fan of the original series and the six movies they made together.

Anyway, one more thing about Jimmy Doohan is that both he and William Shatner starred in the 1953 CBC TV series "Space Command." Only 1 of the 150 episodes made of this Sci-Fi series still exists and it's probably locked away in a vault somewhere.

The series ran from 1953 until early 1954.

You can watch Doohan in the National Film Board short made in 1955 titled: "Strike in Town." This 37 minute film was made in Hanover, Ontario, and concerns a strike by woodworkers at a local furniture factory (the Knechtel factory was used for filming. Knechtel was one of the largest furniture factories in Canada in the past - it closed and was demolished in 1983).

Doohan plays the son of a woodworker union boss (the dad is an Irish-Canadian and Doohan's own family background was Irish too).

You can watch the entire film here on the NFB site (Doohan first appears about four minutes into the film):
https://www.nfb.ca/film/strike_in_town

Doohan could do accents and he tried out a number of different accents for Gene Roddenberry for Doohan's role on "Star Trek."

Jimmy was given much leeway to create his character and so he chose a "Scots accent," as well as giving the character Doohan's own middle name - Montgomery.

Anyway, a great magazine article about Doohan can be found here:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2005/10/great-scott/304262/

• Like 2

Well I'm an unabashed Trek fan and attended a private screening of the second Star Trek movie with Doohan as the "host" at the Eastman House in Rochester NY.

Before the film was a short Q&A with Doohan, who was wonderful. He described seeing the first Star Trek movie and "...the Enterprise coming out of dry dock bringing a tear to my eye..." which it did for me also.

After the movie we were all instructed to stay seated for Doohan to record a quick promo for public television. He purposely flubbed the first take, which made the audience erupt in nervous laughter. This was his professional ploy to get the audience relaxed, we WERE sitting on the edge of our seats, holding our breath for the first take. Afterwards, we all sat back & relaxed. 

I was incredibly impressed with his professionalism & talent. You really take the breadth of talent & knowledge of these charactor actors for granted until you see it first hand.

Did you ever attend a convention dressed as an Adorian with deely-boppers on your head?

You'd be way cute!

• Like 1

Did you ever attend a convention dressed as an Adorian with deely-boppers on your head?

You'd be way cute!

Dressing up at a convention is for comic book dweebs.....my standard Halloween party costume is Vina the green girl in gold lamé-my internet avatar for many years:

starsoo.jpg