Sign in to follow this  
rayban

Tuesday Weld Tribute!

74 posts in this topic

I can't believe that they are not showing two of her best films: "Pretty Poison" and "Play It As It Lays".

• Like 4

I can't believe that they are not showing two of her best films: "Pretty Poison" and "Play It As It Lays".

A Thalia Regalia. I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen I WALK THE LINE 1970 starring Gregory Peck and Tuesday Weld? The film was directed by John Frankenheimer, and Greg plays a sheriff who falls for a moonshiners daughter (Tuesday).

• Like 3

Too bad TCM isn't showing "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" where Tuesday got nominated for a Supporting Oscar.  I saw this movie in the thester when it came out and I read the book. I think it's in some kind of limbo when it comes to being released on DVD or TCM or whatever.  Slightly off topic, but I always felt Keaton's Oscar nom for "Annie Hall" could have been for "Goodbar" as well. I think she's terrific in it.  As for Tuesday, totally agree that "Pretty Poison" should be included.  It's one of her best.  If TCM is going to honor somebody, it would be nice to show their best work.

• Like 8

Too bad TCM isn't showing "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" where Tuesday got nominated for a Supporting Oscar.  I saw this movie in the thester when it came out and I read the book. I think it's in some kind of limbo when it comes to being released on DVD or TCM or whatever.  Slightly off topic, but I always felt Keaton's Oscar nom for "Annie Hall" could have been for "Goodbar" as well. I think she's terrific in it.  As for Tuesday, totally agree that "Pretty Poison" should be included.  It's one of her best.  If TCM is going to honor somebody, it would be nice to show their best work.

Totally agree. Looking for Mr. Goodbar is terrific, and one of the best performances from Diane Keaton. It's scheduled to air on TCM in July. I hope that doesn't change between now and then. I also hope it heralds the film's release on DVD finally.

• Like 4

Tuesday costars with James Caan in Michael Mann`s first film THIEF 1981 available free on Amazon Prime. Tuesday costarred in two films that I like WILD IN THE COUNTRY 1961 with Elvis Presley and Hope Lange, and FALLING DOWN 1993 with Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall.I

• Like 4

Tuesday Weld wasn't attracted to roles in commercial projects - that's why her participation in films like "Wild In The Country" and "Return To Peyton Place" is such a mystery.

This tribute should have been an all-day affair.

And I would have included "Rally 'Round The Flag, Boys".

And the one that she made with Orson Welles.

And how about "Bachelor Flat" with Richard Beymer and Tuesday Weld?

• Like 3

I agree with Christine-----"Goodbar" was FAR better work from Keaton than "Annie Hall", but this is about Tuesday Weld.......

Since DOBIE GILLIS, I've had a crush on Tuesday.  Sure, her appearance in the aforementioned "Goodbar" was a delight to Weld lovers, and not enough(in a way) of her appears in ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA to warrent putting IT on the schedule,...

But I'd rather TCM show SOLDIER IN THE RAIN instead of the dreadful LORD LOVE A DUCK.  I mean, I DO love Tuesday, but I have my limits....

AND standards!

And notice the Tuesday Weld "tribute" is taking place ON a Tuesday?  Cute......

Sepiatone

• Like 3

I'm unsure about Pretty Poison, but Play It As It Lays is Universal so...

Poison is Fox (after looking it up).........

• Like 2

Another great choice for the Tuesday tribute would have been SERIAL, a comedy about life in Marin County. Tuesday plays the wife who blithely falls for whatever fad is popular.

• Like 4

Couple of Tuesday Weld movies I've seen and enjoyed.  I didn't see these mentioned:

WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN? (1978)

SERIAL (1980) 

EDIT:  Looks like I posted "Serial" at the same time as 'kingrat'.  I believe 'Serial' is a Paramount movie.

• Like 3

LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR is scheduled to be aired on TCM in July as part of the America in the 1970s spotlight.

• Like 2

When she was good, she was very, very good - for example, "Pretty Poison" - and, when she was bad, she was very, very bad - for example, "Return To Peyton Place".

• Like 3

I assume the tribute to Tuesday must be on a Tuesday.

• Like 2

I'm a big Tuesday Weld fan! My favorite of her films are "Pretty Poison", "Play It As It Lays", and "Mister Goodbar".

I can't believe producers did not think to hire her for the movie "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium".

I wonder if the "Dobie Gillis" reunion special is available on dvd. It did not have Tuesday in it as Thalia Menninger sadly.

It also did not have Warren Beatty, but Dwayne Hickman said that was because he never thought Warren was any good at comedy anyway so they did not ask him to return!

I forgot to mention that besides the pleasure of seeing Tuesday in RRR, the film has many famed rock performers like Chuck Berry, the Moonglows, the Flamingos and best of all, the Johnny Burnette Trio who do "Lonesome Train (On A Lonesome Track)". Their rockabilly classic "The Train Kept a Rollin" was covered admirably by the Yardbirds in their "Having a Rave Up" album. I think Dion might also be in the film.

• Like 1

Couple of Tuesday Weld movies I've seen and enjoyed.  I didn't see these mentioned:

WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN? (1978)

SERIAL (1980) 

EDIT:  Looks like I posted "Serial" at the same time as 'kingrat'.  I believe 'Serial' is a Paramount movie.

I also recommend Who'll Stop the Rain. Another good Tuesday Weld appearance is her Naked City episode with Rip Torn: "A Case Study of Two Savages."

• Like 1

I have always wanted to see her and Sam Waterston and Joan Hackett in the TV remake of the French classic, "Diabolique".

And didn't she do a TV remake of that weepie to end all weepies, "Madame X"?

I have always wanted to see her and Sam Waterston and Joan Hackett in the TV remake of the French classic, "Diabolique".

And didn't she do a TV remake of that weepie to end all weepies, "Madame X"?

The tv version of Diabolique was terrible. You didnt miss much (relocated to SF I think)....I remember watching it when it aired many years ago. A pale copy of the original in every way...........

• Like 1

I'm guessing LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR (1977) is still not on DVD.  I wonder what TCM will do for a 'digital copy' since they need one to air the movie?  

Maybe it's a music-rights issue that has kept MR. GOODBAR from a legal DVD release?  Or maybe it's something even more complicated . . .

Or maybe it is now on a legal disc release and I'm just full of bull!      

------------------------------------

The 1974 Tv movie remake of "Diabolique" was titled "A REFLECTION OF MURDER".  Released on Republic Pictures Home Video in the mid-1980s.  May have been released on another video label later, but it was the Republic tape I bought.  I've got it upstairs somewhere, but I've not watched it yet.   

• Like 1

I'm guessing LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR (1977) is still not on DVD.  I wonder what TCM will do for a 'digital copy' since they need one to air the movie?  

Maybe it's a music-rights issue that has kept MR. GOODBAR from a legal DVD release?  Or maybe it's something even more complicated . . .

Or maybe it is now on a legal disc release and I'm just full of bull!      

I mentioned earlier in the thread that it hasn't been released on disc yet. I'm really hoping that it being scheduled means that that will finally change. As far as I know, it's a music rights issue that's held it up so long, plus a company that doesn't go out of their way when it comes to releasing their back catalog on disc (Paramount).

• Like 1

So it was you, Lawrence, who'd typed out that info on the thread.  Thought I'd read it somewhere on here.  ;)

Paramount, like other studios have done on occasion, has released some of their titles on VHS and/or DVD with different music than one would have heard in the theater.   

There's at least 3 Paramount VHS releases I've got that say on the box "Home Video Version -- Some Music Rescored" (or words to that effect).  ► THE BIG BUS, CITIZENS BAND and THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY being the three I recall off the top of my head.  There's likely a few more I've forgotten as well.   

LITTLE DARLINGS (1980) was released by Paramount on tape with the original theatrical music, but then was re-issued by Paramount on VHS years later with different music.  I bought a new copy of "Little Darlings" with the re-scored version in the '90s, but I didn't know that when I bought it.  (I've never actually looked to see if "Little Darlings" was released on DVD). 

I knew a guy in NYC who used to sell tapes under the name 'Video Oyster' and in his little print catalogues he'd make a distinction between versions of VHS releases with re-scored music.  The older tapes with the theatrical music were higher priced.  Natch.  I kept a few of those catalogues and I remember clearly the earliest MCA releases of 'NIGHTHAWKS' and 'WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM' had the un-altered music and cost more.       

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that besides the pleasure of seeing Tuesday in RRR, the film has many famed rock performers like Chuck Berry, the Moonglows, the Flamingos and best of all, the Johnny Burnette Trio who do "Lonesome Train (On A Lonesome Track)". Their rockabilly classic "The Train Kept a Rollin" was covered admirably by the Yardbirds in their "Having a Rave Up" album. I think Dion might also be in the film.

This was Burnette several years before "You're Sixteen" (breaks out Ringo Starr's kazoo). And you forgot Connie Francis doing Tuesday Weld's singing. Because when you think rock and roll, of course you think Connie Francis.

The thing I find interesting about these rock and roll movies are the artists who didn't go on to greatness.

• Like 2

I can't believe Tuesday was on "Dobie Gillis" for only a year! I loved her on that show. I saw most of "Rock Rock Rock" and I swear I've heard someone else perform "Lonesome Train" in a slow, bluesy manner. Can anyone help me with this? Frankie Lyman, no juvenile delinquent, my... I saw a movie bio of him several years ago. I don't remember who played him. He dated the female singer from The Platters and threw a girlfriend's puppy out a highrise window. I don't know if that's a true story or not, but if so, what a **** thing to do!

I also caught most of "Because They're Young" and I thought Tuesday's hair looked great. It was an OK movie; actually better than I expected. Those parents! And Dick Clark could actually act a little! Anyway, I picked up a child predator vibe from that criminal creepy older guy when he lets Michael Callan's character into his apartment with the liquor bar and the decor and the way he touched him. It was subtle and it was 1960 so it had to be extremely subtle. Anybody else pick up on this?

Looking forward to "Mr. Goodbar"!

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language