Barton_Keyes

Introducing The TCM Backlot

78 posts in this topic

Grant Williams

Grant%2BWilliams.PNG

best known film The Incredible Shrinking Man

He co-starred in Hawaiian Eye.

The Green Hornet was Van Williams.

YES!!!!!! It just came to me. I'd go for a Grant Williams night too. I got him mixed up with Van.........

60's hunk who appeared in some WB films and tv series. Wasnt he on Surfside Six? Was he the Green Hornet?

No Hibi. The '60s TV series "The Green Hornet" starred VAN Williams. GRANT Wiliiams' most memorable role was probably as the title character in the film THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN.

***edit to follow***

I see Lawrence(as Maxwell Smart would say) "beat me by THAT much" in his reply to you.

Edited by Dargo
  • Like 1

Grant Williams

Grant%2BWilliams.PNG

best known film The Incredible Shrinking Man

He co-starred in Hawaiian Eye.

The Green Hornet was Van Williams.

As long as his ***** didn't shrink.

No Hibi. The '60s TV series "The Green Hornet" starred VAN Williams. GRANT Wiliiams' most memorable role was probably as the title character in the film THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN.

***edit to follow***

I see Lawrence(as Maxwell Smart would say) "beat me by THAT much" in his reply to you.

Yes, I know. I was thinking of Van for some reason. I'm well aware of Grant and he appeared in a lot more films than Van did...

Matthew Broderick had to pay only $28

I would have paid the 87 bucks not to see him.

• Like 2

It is NOT a sign of our times and condition.    This is how the USA has always been.   It is what the founders started a revolution for.

...to make money ?

• Like 2

...to make money ?

To ensure private individuals could make money and are able to keep most of the money they make.   (verses being taxed excessively by England and receiving little to no services in return for the taxes they paid).

In addition the concept of private ownership of land.  

And the private ownership of people, which worked out very

well since it's complementary with the private ownership of

land. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Founders

figured, why leave the pelf to the British when we can get

in on it ourselves.

To ensure private individuals could make money and are able to keep most of the money they make.   (verses being taxed excessively by England and receiving little to no services in return for the taxes they paid).

In addition the concept of private ownership of land.  

In other words, to make money. So that's what America's all about ! I knew it.

• Like 1

In other words, to make money. So that's what America's all about ! I knew it.

Really, MissW? You needed confirmation of that or somethin'?

They don't call it "The Almighty Dollar" for NOTHIN', ya know! ;)

(...I mean, ever heard ANYONE say "The Almighty Pound Sterling" or EVEN "The Almighty LOONIE"???)

So the goal in Canada is to lose money?

Yep, and they're doin' one hell of a GREAT job of it lately TOO, DGF!

Yep, at last count, the Canadian Dollar is down to equaling about 79 cents American!!!

(...didn't know those folks up that way were so "goal oriented", now did ya?!...well, other than bein' so good at shootin' those hockey pucks INTO those goals, anyway) ;)

LOL

***edit to follow***

Saaay, I was just thinkin' here. Ya think THIS kind'a thing MIGHT just be the very reason Canadians have been barred from joinin' this whole "TCM Backlot" thing??? I mean, with the falling Canadian Dollar and all, who knows HOW much it would cost 'em to join as the years roll by?! Hell, by say NEXT year it COULD cost 'em over a hundred and fifty bucks AMERICAN...and WHO in their right mind would pay THAT much to join this stupid little club, HUH?!!)

LOL

Edited by Dargo

Really, MissW? You needed confirmation of that or somethin'?

They don't call it "The Almighty Dollar" for NOTHIN', ya know! ;)

(...I mean, ever heard ANYONE say "The Almighty Pound Sterling" or EVEN "The Almighty LOONIE"???)

Shirley, Dargo my friend, you must have realized I was being heavily ironic (or so I liked to think.)

• Like 2

So the goal in Canada is to lose money?

Perfect, fi, you proved my point beautifully (and without even trying.) You assumed it all has to be about money, whether it's making it or losing it.

It is NOT a sign of our times and condition.    This is how the USA has always been.   It is what the founders started a revolution for.

...to make money ?

jamesjazzguitar. your comments are not completely accurate.

The American colonies did not revolt against Great Britain over "excessive" taxes imposed upon money that they made. The taxes that the colonists objected to were actually low and were not imposed on income but on printed materials and later on tea.

The issue was that the taxes were being imposed directly on the colorists by a Parliament in which they had no representatives.

Safeguarding personal wealth was most definitively not an objective of the American Revolution.

Shirley, Dargo my friend, you must have realized I was being heavily ironic (or so I liked to think.)

Yes, I know you were, MissW.

However, next week when I'm up in B.C. to see my Ma, I gotta admit I AM lookin' forward to exchanging my good ol' American greenbacks and gettin' a whole lot MORE Canadian Loonies for 'em than I got the LAST TIME I was up that way!!! ;) 

(...in other words, when I walk into a Timmy's up there and order a French Cruller and Cup o' Joe, it's gonna cost me less in "REAL" money than it did the last time...and there sure ain't nothin' wrong with THAT, now is THERE?!!!!)  

jamesjazzguitar. your comments are not completely accurate.

The American colonies did not revolt against Great Britain over "excessive" taxes imposed upon money that they made. The taxes that the colonists objected to were actually low and were not imposed on income but on printed materials and later on tea.

The issue was that the taxes were being imposed directly on the colorists by a Parliament in which they had no representatives.

Safeguarding personal wealth was most definitively not an objective of the American Revolution.

Taxes being "low" is a very subjective term. Either way they were more than what the colonists wanted to pay. There were other financial issues such as colonist were banned from making finished good. They had to sell the raw materials to England, then buy them back as finished good at a substantially higher price. It was more than just taxes involved.

My issue is that people tend to reminisce about some magical time when people weren't greedy for money. I would love to know when this time was . It certainly wasn't in our lifetimes.

The early Peanuts cartoons, made in the 1960's , railed against the materialism of Christmas. That was 50 years ago. FDR himself wanted to move Thanksgiving two weeks earlier so that the Christmas shopping period would last longer. That was over 100 years ago.

And frankly, I don't know too many people who maintain websites, run tv networks or any business for free. Somewhere down the line you have to pay. One way or the other.

of course it's no surprise that TCM's asking for $$, it's the implication the buyers are given that they're paying for the power to influence programming which seems deceitful and absurd

:(

• Like 1

Taxes being "low" is a very subjective term. Either way they were more than what the colonists wanted to pay. There were other financial issues such as colonist were banned from making finished good. They had to sell the raw materials to England, then buy them back as finished good at a substantially higher price. It was more than just taxes involved.

My issue is that people tend to reminisce about some magical time when people weren't greedy for money. I would love to know when this time was . It certainly wasn't in our lifetimes.

Again, the American Revolution was not about greed or avoiding taxes.

The Constitution of the United States gave the U.S. Congress the power to collect taxes.

The colonists' issue was that taxes and other regulations were imposed upon them by a Parliament in which they had no representation.

The early Peanuts cartoons, made in the 1960's , railed against the materialism of Christmas. That was 50 years ago. FDR himself wanted to move Thanksgiving two weeks earlier so that the Christmas shopping period would last longer. That was over 100 years ago.

And frankly, I don't know too many people who maintain websites, run tv networks or any business for free. Somewhere down the line you have to pay. One way or the other.

Clearly you understood the point I was trying to make.   It wasn't that 'making money' was the leading concept,  but instead the ability to obtain private wealth and ensure it was protected from government confiscation,  especially a government where one had no representation. 

One comment related to your post here is the use of the term 'greedy'.    Not to sound like Gordon Gekko (see I'm tying this back to movies!),  but in a capitalist system the concept of 'greed' is a tricky one   I define being greedy as the desire for very excessive profits.     Today it appears many define greedy as making even marginal profits.  

• Like 1

of course it's no surprise that TCM's asking for $$, it's the implication the buyers are given that they're paying for the power to influence programming which seems deceitful and absurd

:(

Seems to work pretty "well" in D.C., now doesn't it Mr.6???

(...since when is this sort'a thing consigned to just congressmen and senators and lobbyists, dude?!!!) ;)

• Like 1

However, next week when I'm up in B.C. to see my Ma, I gotta admit I AM lookin' forward to exchanging my good ol' American greenbacks and gettin' a whole lot MORE Canadian Loonies for 'em than I got the LAST TIME I was up that way!!! ;)

(...in other words, when I walk into a Timmy's up there and order a French Cruller and Cup o' Joe, it's gonna cost me less in "REAL" money than it did the last time...and there sure ain't nothin' wrong with THAT, now is THERE?!!!!)  

No there isn't. And that's exactly why a lot of Canadians are crying today when positions are reversed and we have to spend some of our 78 cents on the American dollar (or whatever the loonie is worth these days) when we do some shopping in person or on line in the States.

On the other hand, with the Canuck buck so low compared to the Yankee now, there's a strong message going out these days to all those living south of the 49th, "Come onnnnnnnnnn up!!!!" (Which, apparently, is exactly what you are about to do, Dargo).

image.jpg

Moraine_Lake_17092005.jpg

2bb450d89aae6390ad96d4debacdc55d.jpg

This message has been brought to you by the Canadian Tourism Industry.

• Like 1

Not unless you're a Canadian in the reverse situation - i e, visiting a Krispy Kreme shop in, say, Arizona.   :o

• Like 1

......,My issue is that people tend to reminisce about some magical time when people weren't greedy for money. I would love to know when this time was . It certainly wasn't in our lifetimes.

GGGGGerald;

I guess any time the words "money" and "greed" appear together in the same sentence, people think it's a statement against capitalism, and a naive one at that.

I don't want to get into a whole political thing here (and gawd knows there's plenty of that in the "Chit Chat" forum, for them as wants it), but it's not naive or clueless or tiresomely retro to hope that maybe, just maybe, life - and the whole damn thing, economics, social behaviour, ethical choices, the environment, "art" (however you define it), and oh, whatever you like - whatever makes our whole culture tick -  - could be perceived as being about more than money and the making of it.

ps: Please don't get me wrong. I like money as much as anyone, and definitely wish I had more of it. In fact, I encourage anyone reading this to give me some money, lots of it, preferably in unmarked American currency. You can send it via the TCM administration people - they know where to find me (come to think of it, maybe they don't...)

No, I would never turn down free money. (In fact, I started a thread about that, a few months ago.) And I'm not foolish enough or naive enough to think it doesn't make the world go round. I just like to think that a few other things do, too. Maybe some of them involving compassion, responsibility, intelligence, and selflessness (that's selfLESSness, not selfishness !)

That's my self-righteous statement for the day. ^_^  (I always think of this emoticon as the "smug" face.)

• Like 4

Not unless you're a Canadian in the reverse situation - i e, visiting a Krispy Kreme shop in, say, Arizona.   :o

The Canadian dollar value related to the U.S. dollar is closely tied to the price of oil -  price of oil goes up, Canadian loonie rises in value; oil price drops, Loonie drops with it. That is because Canada exports a large amount of oil to the U.S. every day and the oil has to be paid for in either U.S. or Canadian dough. Note that Canada plays little role in the actual price of oil at any one time. Canada has to react to the changing oil prices 'tho.

University of Western Ontario Prof. Mike Moffatt explains it here:

http://economics.about.com/od/pricesexchangerates/a/oil_and_dollars.htm

As for this new TCM club and its annual cost and the fact Canucks are SOL in joining, I'm wondering how much longer TCM will be available in Canada? The CRTC finally has mandated that Canuckleheads can have more choice by making cable companies offer

a "pick and pay" option for what TV channels you want to watch, and pay for:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/program/alacarte.htm

It doesn't start until December 1, 2016, when you will be able to pick TCM and pay a monthly amount to watch TCM.

The problem could be, as it may be for many other channels, is that if not enough people "pick" TCM, it may not be worth TCM's time and money offering the channel. Other channels may go under too if they can't get enough subscribers under "pick and pay."

Anyway, time will tell...

Since March 1, 2016, you can pay for a basic cable package ($24.95 monthly from Rogers, a major Canuck cable company) and then add a smaller package of channels (Rogers "theme" pack that includes TCM is $5.00 per month).

So, if you're a Rogers customer, you have to pay Rogers $29.95 monthly to get TCM (plus tax and equipment rental). No idea what cut of that goes to TCM in Atlanta.

After Dec. 1 this year, it'll be interesting to see how much it will cost to "pick" TCM individually as a cable channel you want to watch.

Will it be $10.00 a month? $50.00 a month?? Or $2.00 a month? And how many people will actually choose TCM at whatever price?? Will it be 1,000 Canucks? 10,000 hosers?? Or 100,000 denizens of the Great White North??

I don't know what, if anything, might happen?

TCM has to buy Canadian rights for films, so if may happen that they decide the income North of the 49th ain't worth it no more...

Time will tell...

Just my two cents...

• Like 1