Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

392 posts in this topic

I've noticed that the pre-codes have gone up, because I've been getting into them more and more. I've also noticed that the number of "modern" movies have gone up as well--I'm a little wary, only because I see what Fox Movie Channel has done. The only good thing I've noticed is that a lot of the "modern" movies TCM shows has tried and true classic stars in their later roles--"The Towering Inferno" (my go-to-answer cause I just watched it this weekend), has Jennifer Jones' last role as well as Fred Astaire, last month's SOTM, William Holden, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen (OJ Simpson as well, but that's another story)...it IS a classic because of that cast alone. It's when TCM starts showing Tom Cruise movies and those 90's Jane Austen stuff that I start to panic. Yuck.

 

I'm half and half on Zombie. I like "cult" movies, yet I'm terrified of horror movies. As a kid, I was scared of everything and even now, I can't watch a gory movie, so some of these movies they're planning to show freak me out before I even see them. My idea of a TCM Underground would only be part horror movies (because that's a niche all in itself) but I would love to see more "What were they smoking when they made this?" type movies. Cult movies aren't just blood and knives and gore. I would love if TCM would rotate Underground hosts, like they do with the Essentials. Give us different opinions on the "cult" movie!

 

Randomly, you know who would make a fantastic cult host? John Waters.

 

I'm not a "doom and gloom" poster, nor am I a "I love everything TCM does!" kind of girl. I fall in the middle, probably more towards the positive side though because I realize TCM has to change. There's just too much competition from the Internet, the cable networks, downloadable shows from iTunes and other companies, You Tube, etc. How does a cable company hold onto it's core audience while bringing in new viewers and changing with the times, while staying loyal to themselves? By changing the promos and some of it's lineup (Zombie, Cavett, rock music in promos), yet keeping some things the same. TCM still shows classic movies with classic stars and I seriously doubt any other network listens to message board posters like TCM does.

 

However, If TCM brought Paris Hilton in to host a showcase, I'd just start crying right now. You'd be able to open your window and hear me bawling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sugrpuss:

 

That knife thing turned my stomach. I don't want to watch that kind of movie ! ! !

 

OMG when someone disagrees with a statement or post don't they scroll down to see if all the facts are there? I'll go 2 or 3 pages back before I post a contrary opinion. I stated 3 days ago that the daytime schedule is 99% regular TCM programming, that post is on page 3 (maybe 4 by now). How can someone come on, give a glowing account of a freak and then disappear? Zombie may be a filmmaker, but I wouldn't cite him in the same league with Clint Eastwood. Zombies' films are degenerate trash and in the same mode, his choice of 'classics' (Mudhoney, Night of the Living Dead, etc.), are most definitely not in league with Wait Until Dark, or Night of the Hunter. Imagination is a great thing, unfortunately today's horror filmmakers are not aware their audience has one. For anyones information, I watched 2 movies on STARZ last night until 3:45 am, but I would have preferred to watch Wait Until Dark, or Night of the Hunter. ie. I was NOT nighty-night ! ! !

 

In Private Ryan, I heard plenty of f**ks, and GD's, and saw arms blown off, but that was a war movie, I'm not naive enough to expect to hear 'ouch' or 'golly', and when a guy gets shot, you expect to see blood, even spurting. But to watch a movie just to see people get gored, and see arms and legs flying through the air is not my cup of tea. I don't mind being scared like in Psycho, or shocked like in Exhorcist, but I don't want a whole night of that. One such movie mixed in with love, or mystery, or comedy should be sufficient and if not, then those people are watching the wrong station. October is Halloween month, so go on show one or even two, horror movies, but do they have to be on from 7:00 until midnight every Friday for weeks and weeks? People who work don't get the advantage of the daytime programming, and when they want to sit down and relax and watch a movie on Friday night after a week of 9 to 5 drudgery, they're cheated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heidi, I think last year people were complaining that TCM wasn't showing ENOUGH Halloween themed movies and now this year, they're giving us a whole boatload. Oh the irony!

 

I've seen parts of Rob Zombie's movies and let me tell you, I couldn't sleep. I'm the type of person who watches parts of horror movies or even reads descriptions online and then has to run through the house and turn on all the lights and then call up a friend or family and talk to them. I do know he's well knowledged and loves cult/horror movies and that's a plus in my book. I do wish the Underground movies were more in keeping with the spirit of "classics". Like the Vincent Price movies they're planning to show in December--fantastic! Knives in throats? Not so fantastic. I do like some horror movies--honestly, I LOVED the remake of Dawn of the Dead, despite the gore--but are the horror movies appropriate for TCM? I'm not sure. I'm so mixed. One day, I'm kinda happy they're embracing offbeat movies, but then I watch some really good stuff like last night's "Two for the Road" or some precodes and think, "But I like TCM the way it is!"

 

I wish that non-regular viewers who tune in for TCM Underground--or in keeping with the spirit of the "commercial" thread--or who happen to see a promo with the Muse song would stick around and see what TCM really has to offer and the network will gain a few more loyal viewers who will come around to appreciate classics. I know from watching this channel alone, my taste in music has changed just because of all the songs that are used in the old movies. I feel I'm eclectic and more well-rounded and I like that. But will those viewers have the same reaction? Or will they just watch Underground and then see a classic and go, "What crap!" And what about the viewers who love classics AND cult horror movies and love what TCM is trying to accomplish. Someone might hold Zombie in higher regard than Clint Eastwood. Everyone is so different and that's what all these postings represent here. You can't please everyone.

 

I guess in the end, it just depends on the content. You can wrap dog doo up in a fancy package with a bright shiny bow, but in the end, you're still disgusted and horrified and want to throw it out in the garbage. However the "dog doo" in question means different things to different people. Viva independent thought and free speech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I don't neccessarily think it's such a horrendous

> idea for Rob Zombie to host TCM Underground AND I

> don't think it's traitorous to the loyal fans.

> Afterall, these movies look like they'll be playing

> around 2:00am and later ... something tells me the

> majority of TCM's loyal fan base will have all gone

> nighty-night by then. Second, Mr. Zombie is in fact a

> filmmaker and a self-proclaimed film fanatic, so he's

> not a simply random choice as a host. Third, consider

> the line-up .... Mudhoney, Night of the Living Dead,

> Plan 9, Bride of the Monster ... these are certainly

> classics in their own right and are best hosted by

> someone like Rob Zombie, if not Elvira.

>

> So, instead of blowing off the already loyal fans, it

> seems to me that TCM is embracing other people's

> deifnitions of "classic" and placing the series in a

> logical place. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that

> they've made an effort NOT to be traitorous to the

> loyals.

 

No offense, but it's a waste of time to try to convince some of these people. They're going to believe what they want to, no matter what facts you give them.

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No kidding. I just noticed that I was accused of disappearing because I haven't posted in the last 3 hours. Sheesh.

 

Frustratingly enough, I had written a fun response to Miss Heidi just now and got some error message when I clicked "post message."

 

[sigh] I came here to have enriching film discussion with other film lovers, but between the disappearance allegations and the error on the site, it hardly seems worth it.

 

I think I'll go enjoy the last remaining rays of sunshine while I can.

 

PS - Miss Heidi, the fact that you pointed out so specifically the last time you stayed up till 3:45am only makes you the exception that proves the rule. Nighty night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> And what

> about the viewers who love classics AND cult horror

> movies and love what TCM is trying to accomplish.

> Someone might hold Zombie in higher regard than Clint

> Eastwood.

 

That would be me. Well, i don't hold Zombie in higher regard than Eastwood as a director, but I do love the cult and horror stuff and I'm thrilled that TCM is showing it. I've been trying for years to catch "Faster Pussycat Kill Kill," and I'm glad it will be on a channel that shows proper respect for the films they air.

 

I love the silents, and the precodes, and even the occasional dumb romantic comedy from the 50s (sssh, don't tell anyone). I think TCM does a great job, even when they're showing stuff I don't care to watch. If they showed any more good movies, I'd go broke buying blank DVDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, you have all convinced me to shut up and stay off this subject. TCM built its fan base on good, decent films the whole family from 6 to 106 could enjoy together with no embarrassment or uncomfortable feelings. Now they want to 'add a new element'. If they prefer to introduce horror movies, fine, those of you who are horror cultists can enjoy to your hearts content. I'll watch my tapes and other channels. Right now I'm anxiously awaiting the Bob Osbourn private screening with the ex-child stars. I never thought of myself as a prude, or a kill-joy. If people get joy from horror, human beings getting murdered, children crying in terror with their dead mother laying in their lap, that's their problem. I saw Night of the Living Dead on a big movie screen but left a little after it was half over to sit in the lobby, within minutes I was joined by loads of other women who felt as I did. The sad part of all of this is if you get fun and excitement out of a make believe movie, how much you must enjoy the nightly news. Or is that different, can you really watch that in a movie, listen to the screams of pain, and not realize that your brothers, boyfriends, husbands, and cousins are feeling that same thing right this minute for real? Perhaps that's why I'm so against these movies, TCM has always been my way to forget for a while, now, it's putting all that stuff in my face. Thank God I can change the channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> Okay, you have all convinced me to shut up and stay

> off this subject.

 

I don't think anybody was implying you should "shut up". Everybody is entitled to their opinion and to express it. Please feel free anytime. As for Rob Zombie, I'm not crazy about horror films either, but I was under the impression that these will be buried(forgive the pun)late night Fridays. I don't know about you, but I'm rarely up past midnight watching movies.

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I'll watch my tapes and other channels."

 

Yeah, me too.

 

I've been watching a lot of tapes and DVDs lately.

 

I saw "Behind that Curtain" last night. It is a great 1929 mystery film that aired on TCM a couple of years ago.

 

I've also watched the Nancy Drew series last week. Very good. Reminds me of when I was in High School.

 

What I've been doing lately is going over the TCM schedule and taping my favorite kinds of old movies. They usually air in the middle of the night. I don't care much for the movies of the '60s or '70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I asked before, anyone STILL want to opine that TCM isn't changing?

 

 

First, it's ridiculous for you to imply that TCM has changed its format, or is changing its format, because the *style* of its promos has changed. What matters are the films themselves.

 

 

Second, it's amusing how you continually pretend to oppose TCM "changing" its ways. For many years now, TCM has broadly defined "classic" to include a mix of old and modern films of different types. *You're* the one who wants TCM to change radically. Here's what you posted in July about what TCM's format should be --

 

 

"Cut their programming list off at 1959 (If I had my way, they'd cut it off at 1949). Period."

 

 

What a simplistic and negative approach. Your concept of TCM isn't anything like what TCM has ever been in reality.

 

 

Message was edited by: VictorECoffee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I think TCM does a great job,

> even when they're showing stuff I don't care to

> watch. If they showed any more good movies, I'd go

> broke buying blank DVDs.

 

I'm always checking for sales at Office Depot, because they're the only store that has the blank DVD+RW's on sale from time to time. And then I usually buy them in bulk. I think Office Depot thinks I'm running some kind of business, when really, I'm just obsessed with taping everything I like on TCM!

 

heidi, I don't think you have to "shut up" by any means. You do have an opinion and you have the right to air it. I won't be watching the horror movies either, but like Brad said, they're being buried late late at night, so it's not like they're being forced on us in primetime. A lot of times TCM isn't showing what I like, so I pop in a dvd of something that I taped and haven't gotten around to watching. The other night I really wasn't in the mood for the Carol Reed movies, so I watched "Come Fly With Me" instead (total 60's fluff, yet still highly enjoyable for some mindless entertainment!) I tape a lot of stuff during the afternoon, when I'm busy with work or out running errands, that way I always have stuff to watch.

 

I do think they could run the more "graphic" Underground commercials late at night though. I really don't want to see people getting knifed in the mouth and lighting themselves on fire while eating breakfast. It's too early in the morning for that sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[nobr]//What a simplistic and negative approach. Your concept of TCM isn't anything like what TCM has ever been in reality//[/nobr]

 

In reference to all that you stated . .

 

Nicely done.

 

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> If people get joy from horror,

> human beings getting murdered, children crying in

> terror with their dead mother laying in their lap,

> that's their problem. I saw Night of the Living

> Dead on a big movie screen but left a little after

> it was half over to sit in the lobby, within minutes

> I was joined by loads of other women who felt as I

> did. The sad part of all of this is if you get fun

> and excitement out of a make believe movie, how much

> you must enjoy the nightly news. Or is that

> different, can you really watch that in a movie,

> listen to the screams of pain, and not realize that

> your brothers, boyfriends, husbands, and cousins

> are feeling that same thing right this minute for

> real?

 

That's a really good point and deserves an answer. I'm going to veer off topic a little bit and say that I'm a political liberal who is against war if at all possible, and sickened by it when it becomes necessary. I lie awake at night with my stomach churning over the fact that my country is torturing people. I hear of horrible crimes on the news and get depressed. I'm strongly against the death penalty.

 

But I compartmentalize that -- there's just a huge difference in my mind between the cartoonish violence of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and the real violence going on in the world. In some ways watching movies like that is cathartic. I have the DVDs of all the "Friday the 13th" movies, even though they're incredibly stupid -- when I watch them I usually have some friends over, we drink a few beers and cheer for Jason. I can watch Leatherface hang a girl on a meathook with no trouble, but the Abu Graib photos made me physically ill.

 

It's sort of like taking the violence in a Roadrunner cartoon to the next level -- I treat it no more seriously and make no real life parallels. If I did, I'd probably be upset by graphic horror. As it is I enjoy it, and while I'm not sure how I'd feel if TCM veered into showing truly graphic horror movies, I do enjoy them on DVD.

 

I'm not sure that's a good answer, but it's an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooooh, another dictator heard from.

 

My, so you are the arbiter of what is 'ridiculous', now are you?

 

My, thank you SO much Mr. Coffee, for being able to scoot back to JULY to pull up some of my words. How precious of you.

 

My, so your words are the final ones, are they?

 

You are soooooooooo funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nooooooooo, really, you agree with ALL of what Mr. Coffee wrote? Hah, Mr. Coffee.

 

How very, very surprising, Mr. Therapy.

 

You are sooooooooo funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some more SamTherapy brilliance. Hey Sam, don't give up your day job.

 

Shaft of light projects

Coherence of ideas,

Realities, hope.

 

Watching the movie.

Mortals then, immortal now,

Exist in grey shades.

 

Black-and-white movie.

Precision of grace and style.

Transient emotion

 

In the dark, transfixed.

The flashing pinpricks of light

Reflect off my eyes.

 

Tailored suits and hats.

Elegant gowns, silver flesh.

Wisps of smoke drifting.

 

Cocktails and dining.

Talking to one another.

A moment in Time.

 

Peaceful family.

Virtue and morality.

Their Negro cook smiles.

 

Man and woman dance,

Sharing a conversation,

Being together.

 

Men going to war.

Patriarchs with leadership.

Determination.

 

Vast wasteland and sky.

Horsemen, whiskey and gunplay.

Surreal culture.

 

Hiding in shadows.

Steel in hand and steel in eyes.

Sharks and piranhas.

 

 

S A M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> Oooooh, another dictator heard from.

>

> My, so you are the arbiter of what is 'ridiculous',

> now are you?

 

This is really unbelievable. This is truly the pot calling the kettle black. You are the one who has set yourself up as judge and jury on what is "crap" and what TCM should or should not show. You can dish it out but you can't take it. You are truly the biggest hypocrite around, bar none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee, and here I promised myself to ignore Mr. Kettle Ranger.

 

Poor guy, doesn't know how to use the online Webster's to look up:

 

opinion--------------

 

o‧pin‧ion  /əˈpɪnyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-pin-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

 

?noun 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.

5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

 

 

Must be the full moon or Rob Zombie or something.

 

Sheesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I know that I'm new to this board but after reading all of your posts on the slow demise of TCM my soapbox came flying out from under my bed for me to stand on. If I may...

 

As you all know from my previous posts, I have been a classic film fan for most of my 53 years. I, too, watched AMC's fall...or should I say THUD...from grace. Even though TCM has been a part of my life for only a short time, I do not see any negativity in their programming.

 

The underground series that is set to premiere this month is full of horror films mostly from the 40's and 50's. Okay, I'm not a fan of this genre and I may not agree with their choice for host ( I would have prefered the Zacherly of my youth but I think the gentleman died a few years ago) but for true horror aficionados it's not the host that matters, it's the films.

 

As for the programming as a whole, after viewing TCM's schedule through Demember I do not see what all the alarm is about. There is a consistant flow of "classic" films 24/7.

 

Turner Classic Movies, IMO, is an oasis in the wasteland that television has become today. It's my escape, my tranquilizer, my link to a time in life when respect and love for one's fellow man meant something. I'm happy and grateful for it.

 

Thank you for indulging me. My soapbox is returning to it's spot under my bed to be replaced by my asbestos suit. I await any cyber tomato's being thrown my way.

 

MovieGal53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well said. This is what I've been trying to tell people like Stoneyburke and Sweetbaby. I'm afraid it's a waste of time trying to convince them, they're going to believe whatever they want no matter how many facts to the contrary you present them. They just cannont, in their minds, possibly be wrong. So take their replies to you(and they WILL reply) with a grain of salt.

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to get off last night because of the storm that ripped through here, half of the Chicago suburbs are in shatters.

 

The problem with this latest argument is that everybody is right in their way. Yes, much of the programming is unchanged. As stated, todays younger generation is tomorrows older generation, so bit by bit TCM has to start introducing the 60's, 70's and 80's. Face it, if you're 45, your oldies are from those years. Perhaps by watching those movies, you will also develop an appreciation for the 30's, 40's, and 50's. On the other hand, we oldsters may develop an appreciation for the newer movies. My problem is so many of the 60's and up are re-treads of the older ones, not re-makes necessarily, just rehashes of old stories. BUT, all through the 90's apparently very few writers came along with new ideas. So many movies were based on old TV shows, remakes, and modernization of Classics. Gwyneth Paltrow alone made 3 remakes, we had a 4th Dragonwyck, another Pride and Prejudice, Cheaper by the Dozen, Father of the Bride, Parent Trap, Sabrina, and the list goes on and on. By my standards and many others, these didn't stand up to the originals. So we can't see ourselves getting turned on by newer movies. For the younger set, we got Flipper, Lassie, & Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,etc. Even little kids are sharper, they don't want to watch, my grandaughter will watch Snow White every weekend, but once for Barbie and Pegasus was enough for her. I'm afraid the 'new' writers are simply the products of videos, play stations, and hand held calculators, leaving them with no imaginations with which to deveop ideas on their own. They can only 'borrow' from others. In the past year I've read some wonderful books by authors who should be having their books made into movies, to name a few:

 

Patricia Cornwell J. D. Robb

Nelson De Mille Tami Hoag

John Le Carre Steve Martini

 

All of them are terrific murder mystery writers with a little love interest on the side,

I've read books involving time travel, archeology, lost heirlooms, murder in the Louisiana bayou and numerous other subjects.

 

Secondly, we just don't like Rob Zombie. What's wrong with that? He's creepy, he's the kind of guy we don't want our children to emulate, and he is not the type of host we're used to. Some of us have come to like the 'music' from the commercial (not me), but as long as they only show it in bits as they have done, I can handle it, I hate when they play the whole 3 minutes at once though.

 

And, you must admit some of the movies he's showing are junk. If they are considered classic (no matter what definition you want to use), I can't see it. My definition of classic is ageless, timeless, and unique, something to enjoy for years to come. Fans who are 30 or 40 now, most likely won't revere Freddie and Michael so much after the've experienced another 20 years or so of life. In my twenties, my friends though Easy Rider was the tops, now they think its the pits.

Opinions change as you age and get wiser. It's how life works.

 

So you see, everyones right and everyones wrong, no three people think exactly alike on any one subject.

 

In the words of two of my favorite people, - May the force be with you, and Live long, and prosper ! ! !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooooh, another dictator heard from.

 

 

No, I merely disagreed with you, and contrasted two facts --

 

 

(1) The fact that you've repeatedly expressed alarm on this forum that TCM is "changing," and that you're opposed to this.

 

 

(2) The fact that, on the other hand, you've said elsewhere on this forum you'd like to change TCM drastically from what it is now. I think it's fair to say from your own comments that you'd take a meat cleaver to the network, if you could.

 

 

Instead of responding to that, you accused those who criticized you today of confusing "facts" and "opinions".

 

 

But again, you're the one who seems to be having this problem, not us. An example from one of your posts: "The FACT remains that TCM the 'classic' channel should NOT be showing SHAFT." (9/29)

 

 

That's not a "fact," no matter how strongly you believe it.

 

 

And it isn't arrogant and dictatorial for other posters to simply express disagreement with your point of view.

 

 

And my preference for TCM's inclusive and broad-minded definition of "classic" over your negative and restrictive one doesn't make me a dictator, or anything like it.

 

 

I think your comments today could be aptly described as "projection."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us