Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

392 posts in this topic

> > Are you the

> **** from the video?

That wasn't very sweet, sweetbabykmd.

"****" is an interesting word, I think, subject to interpretation.

Grace Kelly slept with pretty much all of her leading men. Was she a ****?

Probably not.

She didn't have any tattoos.

That we know of.

stoneyburke, I remember someone posting a link to the "Make It Home" promo here:

http://cheapandplastic.com/jh/tcm/

I wish I could find the March 2006, Divorce Remorse promo though. Of all the promos they've done, this (IMO) is the gold standard. Everytime it came on, I had to watch it. I have it on dvd, I just wish I knew how to rip and upload it to the web!

Two things I forgot to mention in my earlier post:

1. The woman reminds me of the singer Pink, with the short hair and punky look.

2. I don't think I've seen an ad as polarizing as last years tribute to the stars that passed away (woman alone in a motel room). Perhaps the same person that did that promo, did this one as well.

It's only a commercial,so who cares about the girl? It's all about the movies and the Janus films on TCM. They could of had a dog eating the telescope. it doesn't matter. it is ONLY about the up-coming films on TCM. Take it at face value. If we start dissecting each promo that comes on the "Tube" we'd be going crazy. Like is it only a Good party if you drink Dr. Pepper?? Who Cares.... By next month this will be forgotten and we can argue about something else. Can not wait!!!!

vallo

//Grace Kelly slept with pretty much all of her leading men. Was she a ****? //

Heh.

To be completely off topic, I've always found it very interesting that women who had a whole laundry list of affairs, like Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman and Joan Crawford never were painted with the tag of, um, being "skanks"! Because you know if they were around today and sleeping with all their leading men, they'd be worse than Paris Hilton.

I agree though--having tattoos doesn't make one a ****. It's all about how you carry and present yourself to the public. Perhaps that's why Grace, Ingrid and Joan are never labeled with that tag. Also, they had good publicists.

To be more on topic, I really don't see how the woman in the video is a **** either. She's not stripping, having sex with random men or participating in a Jerry Springer-esque type fight! She just has some tattoos and a punky haircut. If that makes a ****, then I had plenty of friends who were skanks and I didn't even know it!

I think we should feel sorry for the young woman with the telescope. Obviously, she doesn't get TCM and has to use the telescope to look in homes that do have it. LOL!

Since the spot was filmed in a high-rise apartment here in Atlanta (per the skyline), maybe she was catching TCM's annual "Screen on the Green" in downtown's Piedmont Park;-)

Actually she does strip. I was finished with this thread but that dancer person directed some comments to me that I was not responsible for, so I got mad. End of story.

"It's only a commercial,so who cares about the girl? It's all about the movies and the Janus films on TCM. They could of had a dog eating the telescope. it doesn't matter. it is ONLY about the up-coming films on TCM. Take it at face value. If we start dissecting each promo that comes on the "Tube" we'd be going crazy. Like is it only a Good party if you drink Dr. Pepper?? Who Cares.... By next month this will be forgotten and we can argue about something else. Can not wait!!!!"

Well put, Vallo.

Yeah, I'm just sooooo mean aren't I? If you can't stand the heat.........

Seems like we have a bunch of whining babies in our newest group of posters lately.

Thank you, Sam for taking the time to ease my fears. After watching the downfall of AMC, its only natural that TCM devotees would be fearful of the same occurrence. Jeepers, officially I don't even have this channel yet and I was off and running with all sorts of horrors in my head. You've restored my glee and childish delight at the thought of FINALLY being able to watch the classic films that I love and cherish so much.

See ya at the movies!

MovieGal53

[nobr]I completely concur with all the points of your review of the promo, sugarpuss.[/nobr]

Not one of my favourites but nevertheless a quality go at it.

My main negative criticism about it is that the filler between the clips is featured too prominently which detracts from the aesthetic effect of the all around montage.

Still, again, a wonderful thing that TCM fashions these delightful bonus bits of entertainment.

I'll get back to ya on the pm frequency, soon, by the by. :-)

Peace on ya!

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

[nobr]Gal,[/nobr]

I'm so glad to hear you're back on the sunny side of life (you'll catch the significance of that reference once you start receiving your signal from where happy little bluebirds fly and where troubles melt like lemondrops). B-)

So when does the countdown end?

Have you said and I missed it?

//See ya at the movies!//

Popcorn's on me!

[nobr]167.gif[/nobr]

~Peace~

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

//I think we should feel sorry for the young woman with the telescope. Obviously, she doesn't get TCM and has to use the telescope to look in homes that do have it.//

OH! I like that slant!!!

I was trying to figure out the whole spyglass bit.

Indeed indeed! You've sparked my imagination filmlover!!!!

I can see that which you cite - what with how she is preoccupied from everything in her real life (e.g. cooking, sex) with that which she is spying in the reel life!

And then she finally goes through her metamorphosis?

Moulting off her clothes?

Out on to the high balcony where she enters into a fetal position, like a pupa on a branch?

Before she will . . .

What . . .?

Spread her wings and fly away?

Into the land of make-believe?

To Life In the TCM City after she went to the film?

O-oh Yeah, I dig this possible interpretation.

Thanks filmlover, for you have really helped me lend this promo a nice quality that seems a good fit for now.

Gods! - how I do love TCM and Her craft!

hello all

permission to come aboard

i had to make my first post about this advertisement

aside from all the heated discussion, i think its pretty clear that tcm is at least intelligent enough to treat their movies differently than one might expect

tcm is at least, unpredictable

i read back over the glamour gals posts (the other one with the actress that aired earlier this year), and much of the issues between that one and the September ad are the same

so there are larger issues at work obviously, aside from just whether or not you like the sept thing

Permission granted Araner.

Yeah, those issues run the gamut, of old versus new, nostalgic artifacts versus timeless art, cynicism versus faith, and the endlessly debatable question over the ownership of cinema.

I mean, the larger question, really, is who owns the movies? TCM has the right to present these movies any way they want, but at the same time, the audience has a right to remember the movies and appreciate and revere them the way they want to. Afterall, cinema is an artform created for, of and in a way, by the masses.

So one group will assail a promo that runs on the TCM as besmirching the movies themselves, based on their own self-centered memories and cultural tastes (***and I don't mean that in a bad way, so chill-ax), while another group will champion it for presenting the films in a way that will appeal to an audience heretofore unfamiliar with them.

So what we've got here is not so much a failure to communicate (thank you Strother Martin), but a failure to explicate towards the same conclusion. An all-too-obvious point perhaps, but worth repeating.

How's this just for some food for thought?

'A lovely woman, dressed in a Victorian aged gown steps into her bay window, similar to the one in 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir' and looks through her telescope, on a beautiful sunny day, and we see what she's looking at. . . it's several clips from movies of all kinds both black and white, and color, down through the decades, as she fans herself with a lacy fan, and in the background we hear the dulcet sounds of . . . 'yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away'. . .

Gee, I wonder if something so representative of a Classic Movie channel could entice people to wonder if this channel was worth watching, especially since it is suddenly so obvious that younger people are interested in vintage clothing, (like in the Ghost Whisperer), vintage Hollywood (9 out of 10 movies are now remakes), and maybe even vintage movies and the stars in them.?

Golly folks, what do you think? Could a sedate, eye appealing commercial possibly please, especially with a background song playing that appeals to people of ALL ages?...I wonder! ;-)

Anne

>

MAY I REPEAT MYSELF?

O.K. Folks - We're all agreed - some of us

> love the new commercial, and some of us don't.

>

> Some of us are afraid the new element coming in

> means a change in TCM, - some of us don't.

>

> Let's all go to the bar and have a drinkiepoo -

> Coffee, Tea, Bailey's?

:) ... :D ... :P ... B-) ... :x ...

Anne

I like your idea for a promo, too.

As vallo suggested: get smething down on paper on paper and submit it. I, too, think you've got a chance (i.e. "you're hired").

I too would welcome other genres of music for a soundtrack for the promo's, from time to time (e.g. Ray Noble/ Al Bowlly tunes).

But I do not want to (and the is the crux of my contradiction to the negative criticism of this recent promo) want to discourage artists who are willing to create and are capable of creating these montages; I do not want to discourage them with excessive unwarranted &/or puritanical invaildation or censoring of the art that she/he/they have crafted.

For I would much rather have intelligent and artistic mini-films which I am not 100% wild about than to have none at all.

In other words, I would much rather be 50-75% appeciative about some bit of cinny than to have no such cinny at all, or to have some sub-standard and homogenised bit of crap.

I'd much rather TCM and its artistic talent take risks than none at all.

So my ultimate argument is: don't take for granted that which is unprecedentally provided us.

<

Have you said and I missed it?>>

The countdown ends in 12 days, 5 hours, and 15 minutes...but I'm not really counting. 8^D

This promo that everyone is talking about has piqued my interest. Can't wait to view it so that I can form my own opinion.

<>

Throw in a soda pop and you've got a deal!

MovieGal53

If you have the song by Bob Dylan, "Forever Young" then you need to pull it out every once in a while and listen to it so that you don't become something in your later years that you looked down on.

May God bless and keep you always,

May your wishes all come true,

May you always do for others

And let others do for you.

May you build a ladder to the stars

And climb on every rung,

May you stay forever young,

Forever young, forever young,

May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous,

May you grow up to be true,

May you always know the truth

And see the lights surrounding you.

May you always be courageous,

Stand upright and be strong,

May your hands always be busy,

May your feet always be swift,

May you have a strong foundation

When the winds of changes shift.

May your heart always be joyful,

May your song always be sung,

Remember your youth if you need a reminder, but stay forever young. All Edge Hogs and Foxes Please gather at the next watering whole for instructions on further implications involving your status.

Message was edited by:

allieharding