Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

392 posts in this topic

Thanks Maxxi! I too came to see if I can find out the name of that song from that great promo. Had a hell of a time trying to find it on Itunes, but thanks to you, was able to locate it!

Always enjoy the various TCM promos. I always love the creative mixture they come up with. As a person who likes to make with homemade music videos (just a fun, personal hobby, never for profit), I love to see what they create. Very inspiring and fun. Just my opinion. :)

Just NEVER turn out like AMC, TCM. Please!

Okay, for everyone who really, really, really hates TCM's newest spot, I suggest you check out the latest commericla for The Gap's skinny black pants. They've taken Audrey Hepburn's dancing scenes from "Funny Face" and synched them (as well as slowed them down and speeded them up) to AC/DC's "Back in Black". The result? I was cringing through the entire thing. She doesn't look elegant, she looks silly.

If anyone wants to see it, it's here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qj923YC3IN0

While I'm not a huge fan of this month's spot, I still find it artsy and interesting. I'd much rather take a tattooed lady peeking through her telescope at classic movies than watch Audrey Hepburn being declassed by The Gap.

Sugarpuss:

O.K. it's official, I have lost my mind ! ! ! ! I watched the commercial twice to be sure, and I like it. I'm one of the biggest disclaimers of the TCM commercial, but I don't like it because I don't feel it is representative of TCM and what it stands for. However, Audry IS wearing skinny, black pants, she's a perfect model for an item so named. I just giggle at the fact that they went back 50 YEARS to find a comparative example! ! !

Cool....thanks, 2007phd. Can anyone in the know suggest more songs/bands like this one?

tcmprogrammer, anyone, IS that promo downloadable?

Sorry, I really like it.

> Remember your youth if you need a reminder, but stay

> forever young.

So is it OK if some of us watch TCM to enjoy the youthful innocence that used to be a bigger part of movies?

The last time I saw Bob Dylan was on some music awards show about 15 years ago. He had morphed into a babbling, incoherent parody of himself. Not exactly what I'd call Forever Young.

Bobbert, listen to Things Have Changed by Dylan if you doubt his genius. Walk a mile in his drugged moccasins before you judge.

As to Forever Young, wasn't it Rod Stewart who had the definitive cover on that song?

dolores

sugarpuss earlier wrote -

"The woman reminds me of the singer Pink, with the short hair and punky look."

Funny you should bring that name up.

Just last month, because of Ms. Pink, I was confronted with the prospect of admitting I am now a Fogie (or is it Phogie?).

The X-Games were down the street from the restaurant where I tend bar and three X-Gamers (lots of black apparel, lots of piercings, lots of tatoos) were passing a few minutes with me while waiting for the Dining Room to open for dinner. They were polite and friendly and I was only surprised with their presence because few X-Gamers ever choose to dine in our upscale restaurant.

It was only after they moved to the Dining Room that I found out from a younger co-worker that the young woman was the singer Pink and one of the two gentlemen was her husband/boyfriend who races motorcycles or something similar.

Argh! I tail-spinned into a funk having to admit to myself I was an "out-of-it" Old Fogie. I long ago stopped thinking of myself as hip but still thought I was culturally aware. My only solace was to tell myself that all blondes with piercings and tatoos tend to look alike and at least I knew Pink was a blonde tatooed and pierced woman. I just didn't know that sitting before me was THE blonde tatooed and pierced woman of the day.

So I can't claim to know much about popstars any longer but I can greet by name every City and State Government Official that dines in our restaurant. And no one else I work with can do that.

Kyle (please don't ask about the folk singer fiasco) In Hollywood

//I just giggle at the fact that they went back 50 YEARS to find a comparative example! ! !//

I know! It's because there is no one can compare to Audrey in the fashion department. She's a legend.

I think my dislike of it is because I don't like AC/DC. Maybe if they chose different music, which just goes to show you how important music is in advertisments.

I took a course on advertising design/commercials and I was always shocked by how different the product appeared and the overall mood changed once you changed the soundtrack. Amazing. You can go from never wanting to buy the product to wanting to rush out and buy it RIGHT NOW.

<

This is the number one reason why I hold classic films so dear. Having grown up in the 50's and 60's, I remember what it was like when one of the most important things in life was trying to decide what flavor ice cream to get from the Good Humor man that night. ( always a toss up between shredded coconut or toasted almond)

TCM represents an escape BACK to that time. In a previous posting, I think it was Anne who described it much more eloquently then I. Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the mix.

MovieGal53

You know, I don't have a problem with these sorts of "hip" advertising ploys per se. Sometimes they've been extraordinary. By far, the best one they've ever shown was the one for September of 2004 (the month they had the Dreyer festival and the all-day dedication to Ulmer). The whole falling leaves motif worked really well -- both for the month it happened to be and, at a stretch, as a playful pun on Dreyer's "Leaves from Satan's Book."

The other thing, of course, is that seeing wonderful images from great films in a slightly different context can renew your appreciation for just how beautiful they are. In this commercial, the clips from the Janus films gave me chills again, especially the clips of Orpheus.

However, what I don't understand is the theme or motif of this month's commercial. What the heck does the woman with the telescope have to do with any of the weekly features this month on TCM? Or for that matter, how does Muse's song ("Time Is Running Out")? Am I to take this that "time is running out" for me to enjoy the kind of movies that TCM specializes in? Certainly not the kind of message TCM wants to give off, I think....

Anyway, I'm speaking as somebody who happens to like Muse -- even if all their songs sound a little alike.

Message was edited by:

Quiller

Did Raygun produce the current video? I can see a similarity with the flickering, migraine inducing images. Still, I like it.

Quiller, I don't know what anything has to do with anything on TCM anymore. Maybe 'time is running out' before TCM has commercials like AMC? Joke, it's a joke. I think it's a mood piece, like something that would belong on IFC. Still, I like it.

I still don't see 'Divorce Remorse' or 'Make It Home' anywhere, even on the Raygun site.

tcmprogrammer, aren't past videos stored somewhere? LOL, I'm actively pursuing a commercial, doesn't TCM want me to find it????

I have loved, absolutely loved, nearly every montage TCM has come-up with. I even write them and tell them to pay whomever does them a LOT more money so that person won't leave. The promos are direct, astonishing, lush, stunning. They are unlike anything else done and they break the original narratives in which these films were constructed and reconstructs them around a theme, allowing us to view them as fresh and brilliant all over again.

Beck's "Lonesome Tears" trailer just blew me away. It was just unbelievably beautiful.

These films aren't some celluloid memory closets, they're vital, living works of art that should challenge us no matter how old they are. The promos make viewers reassess what it is they're watching and when you catch a bit of a movie you know, you're forced to change the context and your perception of that context.

I wish, beg, plead, TCM to put these promos on the web for download because seeing them disappear when their run is over is just a sin. I'd love to run them in my home theater as filler trailers before or after showing films.

Maybe these trailers help TCM bring in a younger audience, but I'm not sure they need to. Cinema studies is becoming more and more popular and I see GenX and GenYers watching TCM because the better films in the catalog help them to see, appreciate, and learn about cinema. Few people I know watch TCM for cinematic history alone and I know none who watch it because they're old enough to remember when most of these films came out.

Film is like any other art form. The best examples will live forever as great precisely because they transcend time and culture. If you find them nostalgic then fine, but don't be shocked when you find they like to dress a little dangerously and have a wild night out on the town and not come home until after dawn.

Thankyou TCM for these remarkable promos and treating these films with the electricity they deserve.

> Did Raygun produce the current video?

> I still don't see 'Divorce Remorse' or 'Make It Home'

> anywhere, even on the Raygun site.

>

they're all there on the Raygun site but you have to click on the This Month on TCM link. I think it is five or six links down from the top.

Thank You!

I'm so happy to find who does these. Interesting site, there's nothing else on it. However something odd is going on there.

I clicked on, and watched, "Tear Jerkers" on that site but when I looked at the site again it was gone. This is very odd. Others I watched didn't disappear.

yeah tear jerkers is amazing. I love that promo. This one is just edited to a harder sound. I still think its just as emotional in a different way.

Yes, this commercial for the superb Janus films was a departure for other content form TCM. But, I found it to be a good and creative bit of imagery. The pace , sequence and duration of the images was incredible. Did you also note that the song lyrics matched at times what was displayed in the images (...bury me...) . The music was pounding and brought up to a crescendo that was at the least an edffective visual essay, not to mention informative....and interplay of both an announcement of upcoming events and certainly attracted all of our attention. Loved the music!

I wish, beg, plead, TCM to put these promos on the web for download because seeing them disappear when their run is over is just a sin.

tcmprogrammer, I agree. There can't be any objection on TCM's part, we the viewing audience are begging for a commercial. How odd is that???

Perhaps a note to info@raygun.com will yield the answer.

This promo is as good or better than many an MTV video I've seen, and I was there from the beginning.

they're all there on the Raygun site but you have to click on the This Month on TCM link. I think it is five or six links down from the top.

Thanks, oldfilmbuff, got it!

Ah, so my 'shipping is directed at Raygun. And to whomever hired them.

Jason Els, agreed. Raygun takes our beloved films and updates them in an irreverent way with (so far that I've watched) good covers of songs I already like. Very, very, very clever. Very.

Would Raygun win an Obie for these promos? Do they qualify as commercials?

dolores

And probably because of all that is going on within these boards, I can NOT get enough of Time Is Running Out today, played as loudly as possible!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you TCM.

dolores

There are rights issues that keep us from making all of them available. Each month (during the month they're promoting) they should be able to be streamed on the website, although we are working on making them more prominent on the homepage. As it is, you can access this month's at the bottom of the homepage and in the This Month section of the website. I certainly agree with everyone else - these are great, great pieces and deserve to be more widely seen.

Thanks for the response, tcmprogrammr.

I just noticed that there is no 'e' in your user name, I had to go back to make sure YOU weren't one of the new trolls seen here of late!!!!!!!!!

:)

///Beck's "Lonesome Tears" trailer just blew me away. It was just unbelievably beautiful.//

YES! I wasn't big off of anything on the 'Sea Change' album, but the TCM promo just took the song to a whole different level. It was visually stunning and just gorgeous. I forgot about that one. The montage was absolutely perfect with that song and with all the different themes TCM ran that month.

Other promos I really loved: the March 2005 one with Claudette Colbert as SOTM. It just a very sexy commerical--the song, plus clips of her in Cleopatra and in the bath. And there was also the one when Myrna Loy was SOTM. It was so calming and beautiful. There were three different panels and the music was just amazing. I've been trying to find out what instrumental they used, but to no avail.

The commercials amaze me month from month. Even if I'm lukewarm on certain ones, they're still heads and shoulders above actual videos on MTV and VH1!