Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Side Effects

34 posts in this topic

Sometimes in one's efforts to just go enjoy a film, there are deleterious side effects.

Consider the case of John Dillinger, who just wanted to enjoy seeing "Manhattan Melodrama" with Gable at the Biograph theater in Chicago and upon exiting was shot dead and then to add ignominy to insult supposedly his lingam was disengaged and left at the Smithsonian.

Well, not so sure about the last part, but still, a pretty bad side effect from just wanting to see a flick.

Now others may have side effects that are more happy, like a friend of my mother's who went to see "Liquid Sky" with a date, and on the way out met a friend of his who she then started dating and ended up marrying.

Or think about seeing a film and being traumatized for life, like some wimpy kids who saw "Bambi" and then couldn't sleep for nights afterward. I personally was only affected by "Salo" and was afraid to watch it twice.

Some people still have bad dreams after watching Takashi Miike's  "Audition". How about you? Have you or anyone you know ever had any side effects from just wanting to watch a film?

Now you may submit ones that were happy accidents, but being a bit of a Debbie Downer I would most enjoy side effects that are more disastrous or psychologically disturbing.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

I wouldn't say I was traumatized by The Exorcist, but I saw it once & that was enough for me. I hate films like that. In fact, I hate horror films and films with super natural themes in general, although I can watch the older ones. I don't care for suspense films either. For example, the movie Wait Until Dark where most of the action takes place in a darkened room and Audrey Hepburn is blind. For those who have seen it, you know what transpires. It's another film I saw once & never care if I ever see it again.

I wouldn't say I was traumatized by The Exorcist, but I saw it once & that was enough for me. I hate films like that. In fact, I hate horror films and films with super natural themes in general, although I can watch the older ones. I don't care for suspense films either. For example, the movie Wait Until Dark where most of the action takes place in a darkened room and Audrey Hepburn is blind. For those who have seen it, you know what transpires. It's another film I saw once & never care if I ever see it again.

I have a nice side effect. It happens most times after watching a John Barrymore picture... ::heavy sigh::

• Like 1

I have a nice side effect. It happens most times after watching a John Barrymore picture... ::heavy sigh::

OH yeah, Janet, I think I know EXACTLY what ya mean here. Sounds like the same kind'a "side effect" I get whenever I see Ava Gardner on the screen.

BUT, I betcha MY "side effect" gets "bigger" than YOURS does, lady...if ya know what I mean!

(...'specially when I was younger)

• Like 3

It's interesting how different we movie fans can be. I could watch "The Exorcist" weekly and never get tired of it and was thrilled when they came out with the new edition that had Regan walking backwards down the stairs like a spider, which I thought was extra creepy. I loved all horror and sci-fi films and have yet to find one that actually scares me at all, since let's face it they are just movies and one needs to keep repeating, "It is only a movie, it is only a movie". I also love the music from the Friedkin flick and have the album "Tubular Bells" with the theme from it. Now though I can see some finding TE a bit scary, I think "Wait Until Dark" would only frighten folks if seen in a darkened theatre, but to each his own I guess and thanks for your thoughts, Helen.

• Like 2

You have very good taste, Janet. I'm sure the Great Profile would have found you equally delightful!

OH yeah, Janet, I think I know EXACTLY what ya mean here. Sounds like the same kind'a "side effect" I get whenever I see Ava Gardner on the screen.

BUT, I betcha MY "side effect" gets "bigger" than YOURS does, lady...if ya know what I mean!

Uh, just how did "it" get pushed to the side?

Was there an auto accident or did some mad scientist work you over in his laboratory, Dargo?

Uh, just how did "it" get pushed to the side?

Was there an auto accident or some mad scientist worked you over in his laboratory?

Reminds me of that "Friends" episode where Chandler goes to Joey's tailor to have his pants fitted, CG.

Remember that one?

Sometimes the movie itself is the side effect. At least for me. I might meet someone and decide it could be a good thing to look at some of their films or television shows. This happened when I lived in West Hollywood. I would meet people at the dog park while walking my Pomeranian. So I'd make a point of checking out a film or TV series they did so I had something to talk to them about the next time our dogs ran into each other. 

I started doing this when I met some lady who said she played Cary Grant's daughter. I figured, okay, next time I see her, I better know what movie she is talking about.

Reminds me of that "Friends" episode where Chandler goes to Joey's tailor to have his pants fitted, CG.

Remember that one?

Unfortunately, yes I do remember that one, Dargo!

Sometimes the movie itself is the side effect. At least for me. I might meet someone and decide it could be a good thing to look at some of their films or television shows. This happened when I lived in West Hollywood. I would meet people at the dog park while walking my Pomeranian. So I'd make a point of checking out a film or TV series they did so I had something to talk to them about the next time our dogs ran into each other. 

I started doing this when I met some lady who said she played Cary Grant's daughter. I figured, okay, next time I see her, I better know what movie she is talking about.

Interesting topic reversal, TB!

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, yes I do remember that one, Dargo!

Saaaaaay, whaddaya MEAN "unfortunately" here, CG?!!!

(...c'mon now, when Ross says, "Yeah...IN PRISON!!!", you can't tell me you didn't AT LEAST chuckle a little bit, now can YOU?!!!!)  ;)

Saaaaaay, whaddaya MEAN "unfortunately" here, CG?!!!

(...c'mon now, when Ross says, "Yeah...IN PRISON!!!", you can't tell me you didn't AT LEAST chuckle a little bit, now can YOU?!!!!)  ;)

I was just joshing you, Dargo.

Of course I laughed and then I wondered if you had ever been in the Big House?

Do you know what the term LURD means in a women's prison, by the way?

I was just joshing you, Dargo.

Of course I laughed and then I wondered if you had ever been in the Big House?

Do you know what the term LURD means in a women's prison, by the way?

Uh-huh. Pretty much the coital equivalent of APIAS.

(...aka: "Any Port In A Storm") 

You have very good taste, Janet. I'm sure the Great Profile would have found you equally delightful!

I'm afraid I'm way too old for him now!

I don't get enough chances to see Jack's movies, but I noticed in a couple of love scenes where he and his quarry are sitting, he thrusts his body forward (and his profile), where she's kind of trapped!

Well, at least growing old hasn't affected our lust for good looking movie stars.

• Like 1

To my knowledge, I've never had any kind of traumatic reaction to any movie.  Not any commercial  movie, that is---

But back when I was in the 3rd grade( about 1959), at an assembly in the school's gym( which also had a stage and sometimes doubled as the "auditorium"), they showed a film in which at one point some guy was "dressing" (always an odd word for it) a deer.  Bothered me for weeks.

The most disturbed I ever got from a commercial release is how much it rankled me that I wasted good money to go see LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH.  Huhn...."Let's BORE Jessica to death"  is what it SHOULD have been called.

A feeling never experienced again until my wife and I walked out on ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO.

Now, friends of mine have experienced some interesting "side effects" from going to the movies....

One friend of mine, a long time "workaholic" experienced extreme embarrassment when he dozed during one movie at a local theater and slumped over in his seat, his head(face first!) landing in the lap of the grandmotherly lady seated next to him!  This was back in the '70's sometime.  I don't know the movie however.

Oddly (and maybe ironically) my best friend and his girl went to a drive-in to see ZPG and wound up with a daughter!   SHE'S 44 now, (well, will be by this Dec.) and mom and dad have been married 'bout just as long, and had three more over the years...  But that STILL kind of tickles me.....

But, a sort of COMIC reaction to the earlier mentioned THE EXORCIST.

My first daughter,  nearly two years old at the time( by the time WE got around to go see it) was going through some ordeal( which thankfully turned out not to be very serious)  in which she, when we tried moving her to the "advanced" baby food, would gag after a few bites and vomit everything she ate up to that point.  When LINDA BLAIR started her "projectile vomiting" in the movie, I threw my hands up and exclaimed, "We coulda saved EIGHT BUCKS and STAYED HOME to see THIS!"  :rolleyes:

Note:  That daughter of mine is only two months older than the friend's daughter mentioned earlier.  They were "sorta" friends growing up, still keep in touch, and are both doing fine.  I never told the other girl about her beginnings, and don't know if mom and dad did, either.

Sepiatone

I do not know if you will include this because movies were important part of it but they were not the only part:

I was in the military. I was chosen to be part of group for informal meetings and conferences with other military staff because my record looked impressive and my unit did not truly need me. There were many scheduled activities so that we could meet and interact with others socially. It is probable that this fraternization was true intent of the project as leaders wished to establish friendlier relations and greater understanding.

A great aspect for me was that movies were shown nearly continuously on the base and arrangements had been made so that we would not have to wait in line or pay at local movie theaters. It is sadly true that all tended to congregate with members of their own forces. There quickly came strong 'encouragement' from superior officers to have more personal interaction with others.

It was for this reason that I took initiative to speak with one person whom I had observed attending many of the same movies I had chosen to watch and who seemed to enjoy them as much as I did. I guided him to suggest we sit next to each other at a movie.

It was in this way that we watched: How to Steal a Million (1966). It might be thought a disaster as 'date' because I spilled my drink on his dress uniform and his watch snagged on mine and opened a seam. It was truly quite wonderful. We both knew the movie well and we found much to share. It seemed quite natural that we pressed our shoulders against each other during scene where they are squeezed in closet. 

That experience led us to attend many more movies in days following. It is sad to say that our level of fraternization led our superior officers to end our participation in the project and we were quickly sent to posts literally on opposite sides of the world.

It is by this that watching that one movie led to each of us losing our place on promotion list and having disciplinary advisement being placed in our records and suffering minor harassments for more than a year.

• Like 4

Wow! Talk about a "side effect"!

Great story here, Sans.

(...I gotta know...ever hear from the guy anymore?...have you kept in touch?)

Wow! Talk about a "side effect"!

Great story here, Sans.

(...I gotta know...ever hear from the guy anymore?...have you kept in touch?)

She's definitely kept in touch -- she's hit me six times today! (Okay, so maybe I deserved one . . .)

• Like 2

She's definitely kept in touch -- she's hit me six times today! (Okay, so maybe I deserved one . . .)

OMG! So YOU are that guy, are ya Capuchin?

I do sincerely hope that all here understand that comments made by staff do not reflect opinions of management of this household. I would like also to make it clear that four were mere pokes and that he richly deserved more than he received for other two.

• Like 3

OMG! So YOU are that guy, are ya Capuchin?

He is. It is usual that he is not worthy of discussion but I believe the story of our meeting has sufficient interest despite it including him.

He is. It is usual that he is not worthy of discussion but I believe the story of our meeting has sufficient interest despite it including him.

For some reason I thought Capuchin was native born American.

Still, what a great story of how you two met.