Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

What Women Want

114 posts in this topic

Dem senator calls for probe into USA Gymnastics sexual abuse scandal

"Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) on Wednesday called for Congress to investigate how a former USA Gymnastics doctor was able to sexually assault more than 150 girls.
 
Shaheen tweeted a link to a Washington Post column by Sally Jenkins demanding a neutral investigation into USA Gymnastics, a national organization that is approved by Congress.
 
“I agree w/ @sallyjenx. I'm drafting a letter to Senate leadership calling for an immediate investigation into how these horrific abuses were allowed to happen,” Shaheen wrote....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sex-Abuse Victims America Ignored

It took way too long for the Michigan State University gymnastics scandal to capture the country’s attention—and it’s easy to see why.

.... the case had gotten relatively little national attention. After 16 months of near-silence from national news outlets, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News had devoted fewer than 20 minutes total to the story in the four days prior to Raisman’s statement, according to the watchdog organization Media Matters. ....

 

,,,, the women who spoke out in court, along with their supporters, asserted that they were victimized by others, too—that Nassar’s abuse, of gymnasts and other young athletes alike, could not have flourished without a network of enablers. According to the women, these enablers were authority figures at USAG, Michigan State University (MSU), the United States Olympic Committee, and the Twistars Gymnastics training center, among other entities, who repeatedly ignored, downplayed, or disregarded allegations against him. ...

the scandals at Penn State and Baylor—where football players have been accused of 52 rapes in a four-year period—drew attention primarily for their effect on famous coaches and hallowed teams. “When [a sexual-assault scandal] happens somewhere less exalted than college football,” Luther wrote last week, “it’s a different story.” ...

It’s also about a network of enablers who let him ruin lives with impunity, about a national news media that dedicated little airtime and few headlines to the story, about a university that failed to protect its own students, and about an American public that for too long failed to care. ....

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/01/the-sex-abuse-victims-america-ignored/551444/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

How the heck did you react to your own post? :huh: 

That was from before the upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

PBS NewsHourVerified account @NewsHour 2h2 hours ago

 
 

"I believe there were people that knew what was going on and refused to do anything about it, just like [Michigan State]," Robert Andrews (@mindsports), who has trained Olympic gymnasts, says of USA Gymnastics.

MSNBCVerified account @MSNBC 28m28 minutes ago

 
 

BREAKING: Michigan State University president says she is resigning; move comes in wake of outcry over response to Nassar scandal. http://on.msnbc.com/2rE7YG3 

DUWekIRWkAARwkD.jpg
DUWekS4WsAABHKj.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue goes #MeToo. Not everyone is happy

"....Companies have been exploiting counter-cultural movements for years in order to make their products seem cool and relevant. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't. Dove seems to be doing fine leveraging body positivity to sell soap. But when Pepsi turned a white-washed version of a Black Lives Matter protest into an ad for soda pop, it was forced to pull the commercial amid a withering backlash.

Now, critics are examining Sports Illustrated's approach.......

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue-goes-metoo-not-everyone-happy-n847566?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_m

-_-:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue goes #MeToo. Not everyone is happy

"....Companies have been exploiting counter-cultural movements for years in order to make their products seem cool and relevant. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't. Dove seems to be doing fine leveraging body positivity to sell soap. But when Pepsi turned a white-washed version of a Black Lives Matter protest into an ad for soda pop, it was forced to pull the commercial amid a withering backlash.

Now, critics are examining Sports Illustrated's approach.......

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue-goes-metoo-not-everyone-happy-n847566?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_m

-_-:unsure:

Sports Illustrated lets subscribers decide if they want the Swimsuit issue or they can extend their subscription by 1 issue.   That is fair to me but I also understand the POV that the issue isn't relevant to sports.

Maybe they should just feature male and female athletes in swimsuits,  but I'm sure that would upset some folks as well.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THIS issue's version is different...

" in between the usual images of sun and sand-soaked models mutely posing in the Caribbean surf, readers will find something a little different. This year's magazine has a special feature showing a range of nudes shot in black and white — but instead of skimpy swimsuits, their bodies are adorned with empowering captions the women themselves chose, like "infinite," "lover," and "mother." ...

The special section, and the magazine itself, raises complicated questions during a volatile time for conversations about gender and power in our society.

Is getting paid for being beautiful and nearly naked inherently disempowering? Is having input into how photos of your flesh are marketed and sold automatically empowering? Or empowering enough? And will the reader even care?.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue-goes-metoo-not-everyone-happy-n847566?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Is getting paid for being beautiful and nearly naked inherently disempowering? Is having input into how photos of your flesh are marketed and sold automatically empowering? Or empowering enough? And will the reader even care?.....

Getting paid big bucks is empowering in a capitalistic system.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

THIS issue's version is different...

" in between the usual images of sun and sand-soaked models mutely posing in the Caribbean surf, readers will find something a little different. This year's magazine has a special feature showing a range of nudes shot in black and white — but instead of skimpy swimsuits, their bodies are adorned with empowering captions the women themselves chose, like "infinite," "lover," and "mother." ...

The special section, and the magazine itself, raises complicated questions during a volatile time for conversations about gender and power in our society.

Is getting paid for being beautiful and nearly naked inherently disempowering? Is having input into how photos of your flesh are marketed and sold automatically empowering? Or empowering enough? And will the reader even care?.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue-goes-metoo-not-everyone-happy-n847566?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

No, working in the pornographic smut industry isn't "empowering" and it is foolish to have expected otherwise. :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

No, working in the pornographic smut industry isn't "empowering" and it is foolish to have expected otherwise. :rolleyes: 

You're one difficult guy to figure out (and that is a good thing).    You liked my post but then made this comment.  

I admit I don't know how to 'read' that emoticon.    I do agree that working in the porno industry or selling sex isn't 'empowering' but I view being a model (like the swimsuit one),   much differently.   

But I also admit to being conflicted about the entire fashion industry.   E.g. when my wife complains about how certain shoes hurt her feet I made it clear I do NOT care that she wear such shoes.  In fact I prefer she didn't since they clearly cause her pain.    So she isn't doing that to 'please a man'.    Therefore it must be empowering to her for reason I don't get!  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You're one difficult guy to figure out (and that is a good thing).    You liked my post but then made this comment.  

I admit I don't know how to 'read' that emoticon.    I do agree that working in the porno industry or selling sex isn't 'empowering' but I view being a model (like the swimsuit one),   much differently.   

But I also admit to being conflicted about the entire fashion industry.   E.g. when my wife complains about how certain shoes hurt her feet I made it clear I do NOT care that she wear such shoes.  In fact I prefer she didn't since they clearly cause her pain.    So she isn't doing that to 'please a man'.    Therefore it must be empowering to her for reason I don't get!  :lol:

What I meant is that they shouldn't complain about the job being not "empowering" because the entire porn industry is based on selling sex and smut. They should already be aware of that before going into it. If you wnat to feel "empowered" don't slave your body off to porn sellers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

What I meant is that they shouldn't complain about the job being not "empowering" because the entire porn industry is based on selling sex and smut. They should already be aware of that before going into it. If you wnat to feel "empowered" don't slave your body off to porn sellers.

I assume many of 'them' would say that many of those type of decisions (e.g. to get into the porn industry) are NOT 'free will' choices.     This is one of the core issues being discussed.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume many of 'them' would say that many of those type of decisions (e.g. to get into the porn industry) are NOT 'free will' choices.     This is one of the core issues being discussed.   

Then the porn industry as a whole should be halted and not "empowered." "Having input into how your porn is sold" is never going to be empowering. It's inherently disempowering to the women involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us