Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Davis & Crawford & "Feud"

97 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I suspect the appeal will go nowhere. A lot of them do.

Due to the existing CA statute most cases don't even move forward; i.e. they are dismissed due to the statute.   This is why CA (based on lobbying from Hollywood),  has the statute;  to prevent 'bogus' lawsuits and associated legal fees.     Olivia's lawsuit did move forward to the shock of the industry.   No one know why the judge did this.  Hey, maybe like me he loves The Heiress!.

• Thanks 1

6fa2fff393a91a83472779a6c48a36ab.jpg

Olivia will presumably lose her appeal in court but her fighting spirit lives on over 80 years after this publicity pose was taken.

The lady remains a scrapper.

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2018 at 7:33 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

If Olivia wanted to make amends for whatever went astray in her relationship with Joan, winning (or losing) the lawsuit isn't going to remedy that. 

Again I haven't seen FEUD, so I really can't say one way or another if Olivia's lawsuit has any merit. Just saying that Joan is gone now, and the time to make amends should have been when she was still alive.

I don't believe Joan Fontaine wouldn't have passed away without making peace with Olivia. 

I worry about Olivia's health though, because even if she is publicly pursuing this until she can't, what is her life right now? 

Her BFF, Robert Osbourne can't call her on Sundays anymore because he's passed.

Her only sister Joan can't be her scapegoat for whatever reason (I've always suspected the feud was kept up to keep them both public regardless of private scruples), because it's going to be five years. 

She is secluded in Paris because of her age, and I don't know what her relationship with her living child is (her son Ben Goodrich died of Hogkin's lymphoma in 1991) is like right now. 

I feel for her. But, then again, the inner Joan (Fontaine, not Crawford) in me is like "one last push, sister. You leave them with one last push." 

On 4/9/2018 at 6:30 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe you could be on to something about why Olivia is pushing forward;  guilt and pain over how she treated her sister (as well as how Joan responded).   Of course we don't know the full extent of their relationship but based on what I have read it looks to me that Olivia never accepted that Joan won a Oscar before her and the comments Joan made about her French husband.

I've read No Bed Of Roses, and this is just my take on it- the pain comes from their mother pitting them against each other. Joan's high IQ picked up on that, and Olivia really didn't refute outside of the "No Shred of Truth" thing, and this came up during the first trial by the defendant- "If there is something to disprove, why isn't the plantifff disproving it?" 

In my heart of hearts, I believe the guilt and pain may come from not being in communication with her in the final days of Joan's life. I think they resolved their feud ages ago, and only maintained it to the public to maintain their names to the public. I know they met for lunch in 2003 around the time of the 75th Oscars. I know Joan said in recently released communications of years past that "[she] loves [her sister,] regardless of how [they] don't talk." There is record of Olivia calling Joan long distance. 

Maybe its my own belief in humanity's good nature overpowering healthy speculation, but there is survivor guilt when you outlive your younger siblings. I've seen it happen in my extended family. I feel that Olivia doesn't know what to do to bide her time. 

I think the feud was more publicity than anything else. Like all siblings they had their ups and downs. I'm sure Olivia wasnt thrilled with Joan's book, but so far her memoirs (if written) arent published. I dont talk to my siblings much. We arent feuding. We just arent close. I think it was the same with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hepclassic said:

I don't believe Joan Fontaine wouldn't have passed away without making peace with Olivia. 

Does anyone know if Joan and Olivia actually did make amends, because I haven't heard or read anything about it if they had.

For both their sakes I honestly hope they did. 

• Like 1

They had lunch when Olivia was over here for the Oscars. I dont see what they could be feuding about from 2 different continents.....I don't know what these recently released communications are.

• Like 1

I will have to look it up- but I read an article recently about Joan Fontaine's professional friendship with an author whom she wanted him to look up her favorite performance as Eleanor of Aquitaine in The Lion In Winter in Europe, and he asked her about her feelings towards Olivia (this was in 2011), and she said that she "loves [her] sister, even though [they] don't talk." The blog post I think was from two years ago. I will try to find it. 

• Thanks 1

Well, not talking doesnt necessarily mean feuding. I dont talk to mine that much either.

• Like 2

Regarding Feud, I did see the entire miniseries when it aired last year, and I do think that the one line aside, Olivia was portrayed as a dignified, empathetic lady, gracious, elegant, and loyal.

37 minutes ago, hepclassic said:

I agree, Hibi. I think this is the article, if not I will keep looking. 

https://scarletthefilmmagazine.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/joan-fontaine-the-lioness-in-winter/

Thanks for the article. Too bad it was only 2 performances.......I cant believe it's been almost 5 years since her death. Time flies...I had read somewhere that was her favorite role.

On 4/12/2018 at 6:12 PM, Hibi said:

Thanks for the article. Too bad it was only 2 performances.......I cant believe it's been almost 5 years since her death. Time flies...I had read somewhere that was her favorite role.

It was, according to the article.  

On 4/12/2018 at 5:45 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Regarding Feud, I did see the entire miniseries when it aired last year, and I do think that the one line aside, Olivia was portrayed as a dignified, empathetic lady, gracious, elegant, and loyal.

This is good to know. If only Olivia had someone to talk to. If feuds are about pain, what pain is she expressing with her feud with Ryan Murphy? Pain over her relationship to Joan? Pain of her survivorship of her contemporaries and her BFF? 

Some years ago, gossip author Darwin Porter had written a book about Joan and Olivia, called Twisted Sisters. It was even listed on Amazon. I was going to buy a copy, but it was pulled shortly before the publication date (this was before Joan died). Now I'm wondering if he was afraid Olivia would sue him! (and is probably waiting on her to die before having it published). It's never seen the light of day since then (hasnt been published).

• Sad 1

The real irony is that Ryan Murphy could down the line, do a Feud around Olivia and Joan Fontaine. Because that's a different layer of Hollywood ageism/sexism, and Old Hollywood screwing people over psychologically. 

Yes, but I doubt it'll happen till after Olivia dies!!!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, but I doubt it'll happen till after Olivia dies!!!

Does Olivia have any relatives that might sue, though?

Unless there are falsehoods in the book about them, I doubt they can. Unsure if Olivia has any living offspring. I think her son died. Unsure if she had a daughter. I dont think you can sue for another (deceased) person....

• Thanks 1

Olivia has asked the California Supreme Court to review the decision.  Tenacious and scrappy, I'll give her that.

On 4/17/2018 at 10:57 AM, Hibi said:

Unless there are falsehoods in the book about them, I doubt they can. Unsure if Olivia has any living offspring. I think her son died. Unsure if she had a daughter. I dont think you can sue for another (deceased) person....

Dame Olivia has a 61-year-old daughter, Gisèle Galante, from her marriage to the late Paris Match executive editor Pierre Galante. Gisèle (pictured below with her mother in 1979) is a journalist.

Image result for dame olivia de havilland and daughter

• Like 1

Wow she was gorgeous!
I do think descendants ("the estate") can sue for a tarnished reputation, like slander. Especially if that person is a celebrity.