Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

BETTE

58 posts in this topic

Just a head's up. Bette Davis is featured Sat. night (with Robert Ryan tonight, that's 2 nights in a row I'll be watching TCM, a rarity!!!)

The night starts out with All About Eve (no comment is needed); follows with A Catered Affair (a favorite of mine) and then ends with a bang with Another Man's Poison, (Bette smokes up a storm and chews the scenery!)

A very entertaining evening......

• Like 6

Wish I had TCM - Of these three you mention, I have not seen two: "Catered Affair" and "Poison" (and I've seen a lot of Bette Davis movies!).  Dang.   :(

Yes, this is a great night of programming. Hopefully my TV signal won't go out. I've never seen another man's Poison.

Wish I had TCM - Of these three you mention, I have not seen two of the three: "Catered Affair" and "Poison" (and I'm seen a lot of Bette Davis movies!).  Dang.   :(

How come you don't have TCM?  Is it part of a package you no longer get?

How come you don't have TCM?  Is it part of a package you no longer get?

Cable's too expensive.  I have a ton of DVDs and subscribe to classicflix.com.

• Like 1

Cable's too expensive.  I have a ton of DVDs and subscribe to classicflix.com.

Yes, I switched providers because I was paying a lot of money for a bunch of channels I never watch just to get TCM. 

I'm going to have to cut down on the amount of internet I use during the summer. My 6 month 'deal" will end at the end of June, so I'll have to decide what to do about that.

• Like 1

Wish I had TCM - Of these three you mention, I have not seen two: "Catered Affair" and "Poison" (and I've seen a lot of Bette Davis movies!).  Dang.   :(

Another Man's Poison is a real hoot! Esp. the ending!!!  Worth a rental if you can find it.......

• Like 3

Another Man's Poison is a real hoot! Esp. the ending!!!  Worth a rental if you can find it.......

Just rented it on classicflix.com and pushed it to the #1 spot.  Thanks, Hibi!

I too enjoyed the Bette Davis evening as I hadn't seen ALL ABOUT EVE in ages and never seen the poison movie which I thought was a great overwrought performance by Bette.   The true joy of the evening for me was George Sanders in his role as Allison DeWitt...absolutely marvelous. 

I was disappointed that the host failed to mention his performance as it was just too, too superb. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that "Poison"flick is one I was unfamiliar with.  It was OK, but not among Davis's best.

I appreciate Bette Davis more now than I did when I was much younger.  I at first couldn't see the attraction, as I found her not so easy on the eyes.

Sure, in her MUCH earlier movies she DID have a certain "cuteness", but by the later '30's and into the '40's she struck me as somewhat of a hag.  My ex used to joke(when that song was so big) that if anybody told HER she had "Bette Davis eyes", she'd clobber them with the nearest blunt object!  "Imagine the amount of groceries THOSE bags could hold!" she'd quip.

But like I said, once I started paying more attention to her skills as an ACTRESS, I developed more of an appreciation for her.  AND respect.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

We did not get that Poison movie in Canada.  We got The Star, which I have seen before.

Re: the song "Bette Davis Eyes" - I've always enjoyed that song.  I think it is because I love when songs reference classic Hollywood actors and actresses.

eg. # "Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper, Super Dooper."

eg. #2: "And just like Greta Garbo, you stare like there's no tomorrow..."

OMG YOU HAVE TO RETITLE THIS THREAD!!!!!

I thought Bette Midler was dead, and I can't take another one so soon.

ps- has anyone checked on Liza to see if she needs to be rolled on her side or something?

• Like 2

ps- has anyone checked on Liza to see if she needs to be rolled on her side or something?

I wonder if the title of this thread and its reference to Davis being a great actress has anything to do with the newbie calling himself/herself HATEJOANCRAFORD  and starting a thread about hating Bette davis, Joan Crawford, and Judy Garland?

I too enjoyed the Bette Davis evening as I hadn't seen ALL ABOUT EVE in ages and never seen the poison movie which I thought was a great overwrought performance by Bette.   The true joy of the evening for me was George Sanders in his role as Allison DeWitt...absolutely marvelous. 

I was disappointed that the host failed to mention his performance as it was just too, too superb. 

For all the TCM fans who watched ALL ABOUT EVE 1950 last night, there is no question that George Sanders playing Addison DeWit with his sharp tongue and poison pen should be chosen as a TCM SOTM.Bette did win the New York Film critics award for her performance of Margo Channing. Maybe Gary Merrill was the love of Bette`s life, at least for almost a decade. They fell in love while making ALL ABOUT EVE, and I always thought that Gary was a decent actor.

I saw Poison for the first time a few years ago and I

had forgotten some of the plot details since that time.

It reminds me a bit of an Alfred Hitchcock Hour episode,

though it is fleshed out more. I knew that Bette would

bite the dust at the end, but I wish she had been allowed

to live after knocking off Gary Merrill, who was like an

obnoxious party guest who won't leave. She should

also have gotten rid of that nosy vet. What a pain.

Just rented it on classicflix.com and pushed it to the #1 spot.  Thanks, Hibi!

LOL. Hope you enjoy it!

LOL. Perish that thought!!!

I saw Poison for the first time a few years ago and I

had forgotten some of the plot details since that time.

It reminds me a bit of an Alfred Hitchcock Hour episode,

though it is fleshed out more. I knew that Bette would

bite the dust at the end, but I wish she had been allowed

to live after knocking off Gary Merrill, who was like an

obnoxious party guest who won't leave. She should

also have gotten rid of that nosy vet. What a pain.

Yes, it does come across as an extended Hitchcock episode. I know I couldnt stand William's nosy neighbor character. Nothing like spoiling the plot details for those who havent seen it!

I started watching AAE and even though I've seen it numerous times, and own the dvd I could not stop.

Probably the greatest amount of repartee in films!

The bit where Bette spars with Gary and Hugh after the "understudy" reading with Marilyn Monroe still holds up today as the most sarcastic interplay in film for my money.

Loved seeing Bess Flowers congratulate Eve at the Sarah Siddons award, as usual.

Liza is probably in mourning due to the demise of her ex!!

I started watching AAE and even though I've seen it numerous times, and own the dvd I could not stop.

The bit where Bette spars with Gary and Hugh after the "understudy" reading with Marilyn Monroe still holds up today as the most sarcastic interplay in film for my money.

Loved seeing Bess Flowers congratulate Eve at the Sarah Siddons award, as usual.

Yeah, Bess got her one line in.  I love the dialogue on the stairway during the party scene too.......

Yeah, Bess got her one line in.  I love the dialogue on the stairway during the party scene too.......

Oh, right.

"Well, I can't call him butler can I? Someone's name might be Butler."

Hilarious.

Is there ACTUALLY a Sarah Siddons award?

Is there ACTUALLY a Sarah Siddons award?

There is NOW. There wasnt then.

• Like 1

Yes, it does come across as an extended Hitchcock episode. I know I couldnt stand William's nosy neighbor character. Nothing like spoiling the plot details for those who havent seen it!

Oops. Well Bette does bite the dust, but she does so in a

paradoxical way, which I won't mention. And her only love

is Fury. I've written a letter to Fury, too bad he cannot

read.