Sign in to follow this  
HATEJOANCRAWFORD

Please stop this Crawford, Davis, Garland Assault

48 posts in this topic

I love TCM!  Why do the programmers INSIST!!!!!!!!  On Joan Crawford, Betty Davis, and Judy Garland as stars of the month, EVERY EVERY  EVERY  EVERY year?  They were good , but Joan Crawford WAS box office poison.  Bette Davis was good, but she is soooooooo over the top!  Judy Garland could sing, but she was ok at best as an actress and not very attractive.  Please, STOP this constant every year of these three as being queens of cinema!  I understand they had talent, but the TCM programmers beat us over the head with first the stars of the month, then find ANY reason to repeat these over rated actresses.  I love this channel, even though you, the programmers, destroy my Sunday nights with BAD silent films, can't you program without these three or bad silent films?

I love TCM!  Why do the programmers INSIST!!!!!!!!  On Joan Crawford, Betty Davis, and Judy Garland as stars of the month, EVERY EVERY  EVERY  EVERY year?  They were good , but Joan Crawford WAS box office poison.  Bette Davis was good, but she is soooooooo over the top!  Judy Garland could sing, but she was ok at best as an actress and not very attractive.  Please, STOP this constant every year of these three as being queens of cinema!  I understand they had talent, but the TCM programmers beat us over the head with first the stars of the month, then find ANY reason to repeat these over rated actresses.  I love this channel, even though you, the programmers, destroy my Sunday nights with BAD silent films, can't you program without these three or bad silent films?

Goodness, don't be surprised if you get some blowback on this. I don't know how often these three women have been SOTM but they have a lot of fans. Even if you think they are over-rated, all three made some wonderful classic movies over their long careers. As for the silent movies, which ones do you think are "bad" that have run on Silent Sunday? I don't think it's unreasonable to have one late night a week devoted to silent cinema.
  • Like 2

The way you have worded the title of this thread makes you sound like you don't like Joan Crawford either.

Let me put it to you this way:

Gregory Peck is my favourite actor of all time.

There are some people who find some of his performances wooden.

I do not care if they do. He will always be My Darling Greg.

If you do no like what TCM airs, there are simple solutions:

1. Change the channel

2. turn the channel off

3. Watch a DVD or Blue Ray.

• Like 2

The way you have worded the title of this thread makes you sound like you don't like Joan Crawford either.

Did you notice their account name?

I'm not a big fan of Crawford, except for the film "Sudden Fear", which I thought she was excellent in.  I used to think Bette Davis was way over the top, too, but I've since come around (love her pairings with certain co-stars, like Claude Rains in "Deception").

So HateJoan, who do you like? :)

• Like 1

Yes, I was being ironic for that sentence.

Then I switched over to Christine Hoard's response.  I guess  I should have made two posts.

First: Response to HATEJOANCRAWFORD

Second: To Christina Hoard.

It's funny.  Because of that account name she/he has to be reminded of Joan Crawford all the time.

I can't possibly see myself calling myself  on this site HATEDAVIDHEMMINGSINCAMELOT.

• Like 3

I had to look it up:

Joan Crawford has been SOTM 3 times: Aug '98, Aug '02, and Jan '14

Bette Davis has been SOTM twice: May '99, and May '06

Judy Garland has been SOTM 3 times: July '00, Apr '04, and Apr '16

Of course there's also all of the Summer Under the Stars days, as well as random showings of individual movies.

• Like 3

And then of course there are the "Bad" silent films.  I wonder: are any of them "good?" Or are all of silent films "bad"?

Like it or not, these three ladies are icons of the Golden Age of Cinema. While I'm not the biggest fan of Crawford either, I understand her place in film and why she's a star. I love Davis and Garland, so I respectfully disagree. There are stars I'm not a big fan of (Crawford and Marlon Brando to name two) but I would never dream of coming onto a movie message board to complain. I'm also not a silent movie person, but we need silent films in order to have all the films we love today. Not all silent movies are bad.

If you aren't interested in programming, then watch something else. I am always recording TCM so I have plenty to occupy me during Silent Sunday Nights and other evenings where TCMs programming does not interest me. Coming onto a message board to complain because YOU don't like the programming is not the answer.

• Like 3

Joan Crawford was "box office poison"?  Always?  Judy Garland did show considerable acting talent, even in some dramatic roles later in her career.   Bette Davis; I would agree she was often somewhat over the top (like Joan C) but she had an amazing and  long career.  And I would hardly equate silent films as being bad.  We all have our likes and dislikes,  TCM can't possibly schedule programming that will please us all 24/7.

• Like 2

.....  I love this channel, even though you, the programmers, destroy my Sunday nights with BAD silent films, can't you program without these three or bad silent films?

I'm going to disregard your comments about those three famous actresses, and just focus on your ambiguous remark about silent movies.

You complain that TCM "destroys" your Sunday nights with "BAD silent films", which makes it sound as though you regard all silent films as bad.  Is this so?, in which case, what you really mean is, you don't like silent movies, therefore, to you, they're all bad.

If you meant you like some silents, you just don't care for some of TCM's Sunday night selections, I apologize for misunderstanding your  post. But I can't help but think you just meant you don't like silent movies, period, and wish TCM would not air them, Sunday night or any time you watch TCM.

Disliking a particular style or era of filmmaking does not make that style or era "bad", it just means you personally don't like it. Since some people - a good number, I believe - actually like and enjoy silent movies, it's only fair to them for TCM to air them; and after all, Sunday night is pretty much the only time they do.

Personally, I love silent movies and wish I had the chance to take advantage of the fact that TCM airs them more often. I know most people don't care for them, but I find them enchanting.

• Like 11

I'm sick of all these female stars as well. Tor Johnson for SOTM. Make TCM Great Again!

• Like 8

I'm sick of all these female stars as well. Tor Johnson for SOTM. Make TCM Great Again!

I'm sick of all these human stars as well. Lassie for SOTM. Make TCM 4-legged friendly!

To be fair, yes, there's been an apparent uptick in films from these 3 actresses lately, but it's allowed me to watch some films I'd not seen before, so no complaints from me. There will no doubt be a different uptick of stars/genres soon enough.

As for Silent Sundays - IMO, there's been a good variety in recent weeks. Some I've preferred more than others, but that's true across TCM. One observation about Silent Sunday/Imports fare - since they're typically both subtitled & on late, I'll sometimes record 'em & watch the next day, when I've got the time/concentration to give the viewing justice.

• Like 2

Lassie would be a great star of the month. I am all for having cats or dogs or both be Star of the Month.

• Like 2

It would be cool, if TCM put on their website a poll each month to vote for Star of the Month, the star with the most votes is the Star of the Month. After someone becomes the Star of the Month, they don't become an option on the poll for a year or so. Just a thought.

• Like 3

There is a simple reason why theae three actresses are often featured on TCM, beyond the fact they had decades-long careers, were incredibly popular for long periods, and have become and remain iconic classic movie stars. That is because they were under contract for good portions of their careers to MGM (Crawford, Garland), or WB (Davis, Crawford). TCM has access to most of the films made at these studios during the golden age, and features these films constantly all year, every year. So the stars, featured players and character actors that worked at these studios have their films aired often; it is only logical. So the constant exposure of these actors can grate on somebody not especially fond of a given player, or three, as with you. Other people complain about some other stars so featured.

There will.be nothing gained by complaining; the station will continue to play the easily accesible films of these ladies, and others, whether one feels it's right or not. People here have given good suggestions, including watching something else, or doing something, when TMC airs films of stars or genres you don't like. Nobody here is happy with the programming 24/7, but the station does an exemplary job in programming for the many likes of its viewers, given the resources at hand.

• Like 5

It's funny.  Because of that account name she/he has to be reminded of Joan Crawford all the time.

I can't possibly see myself calling myself  on this site HATEDAVIDHEMMINGSINCAMELOT.

Sure....

If a new member feels compelled  to use a screen name based on the "frequency" thing, you'd of thought they'd call themselves IHATENORTHBYNORTHWEST  B)

In another thread, I mentioned how I really didn't care much for Bette Davis when I was younger, but after some years of closer and objective watching, and not any longer just basing things on her looks, I grew to have much more respect for Davis as an actress.

The same sort of thing could be said about Ms. Crawford, but not to the same degree.

And I've been SUCH a long time fan, I can't imagine ANYONE not liking Judy Garland.

Anyone outside of AL QAEDA, that is..... ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I love TCM! Why do the programmers INSIST!!!!!!!! On Joan Crawford, Betty Davis, and Judy Garland as stars of the month, EVERY EVERY EVERY EVERY year? They were good , but Joan Crawford WAS box office poison. Bette Davis was good, but she is soooooooo over the top! Judy Garland could sing, but she was ok at best as an actress and not very attractive. Please, STOP this constant every year of these three as being queens of cinema! I understand they had talent, but the TCM programmers beat us over the head with first the stars of the month, then find ANY reason to repeat these over rated actresses. I love this channel, even though you, the programmers, destroy my Sunday nights with BAD silent films, can't you program without these three or bad silent films?

Newbie - -

For one post, you had an awful lot to say.

RE : your name

You would not be the first person to say this sort of thing.

But I would like to say one thing in Joan Crawford's defense:

You have got to admire a woman who took a gold flask of whiskey with her every place she went.

That was a classy Dame!

• Like 3

Your name wouldn't happen to be Christina, would it?

Actually I have no problem with your rant, since I'm sure not everyone likes Joan, Bette or Judy.

And that's fine.

I would only like to ask what women stars or non-stars do you think TCM should replace the above ladies with?

Sorry for ending my sentence with a preposition!

And what "good" silent films are your favorites, HJC?

LOL.