Sign in to follow this  
rayban

"The D Train"

10 posts in this topic

This film opened in movie theaters last year and was advertised as a high school reunion film.

"Every Reunion Needs A Hero" was the tagline, I think.

But, as a film about two high school "buds" who get back together. you would probably be expecting a "bromance".

Dan Landsman, who is married and has a son, has always idolized Oliver Lawless, whom he now sees as the spokesman for a sunscreen product on television.

Wanting to score big with the guys who are running the reunion (Dan does not seem to be very popular with these guys), Dan decides to go to California and "woo" Oliver to the high school reunion (they had contacted him, but Oliver just wasn't answering.)

At a free-wheeling bar one night, Oliver confides to Dan, who can't really hide his hero worship, that he's living a wild kind of lifestyle and enjoys sex with women - and men, too.

One night, Oliver makes a pass at Dan, Dan responds with evident enjoyment, and Oliver "tops" Dan with a lot of gusto.

From that point on, Dan is more than overjoyed when he finds out that Oliver will return with him to the reunion.

And Dan begins to "see" a new lifestyle for himself.

At the inevitable reunion, Dan goes more than ballistic when he sees Oliver in the arms of his

high school sweetheart and Oliver doesn't like the fact that Dan seems to have become possessive.

The "truth" of their relationship comes out - although Oliver is really the kind of guy who can "top" you one night and definitely forget about it the next night.

At their parting - Oliver is going back to sunny Cal - Dan tries to give Oliver's shirt back to him - Oliver gave it to him after he had "topped" Dan - but Oliver really does want Dan to keep it.

And he tries to deflate Dan's "hero worship" by telling him that he's just struggling to keep it together and that he isn't even doing a very good job of it.

At the end, Dan's wife does seem to indicate that she is willing to accept what happened.

But the film ends with a montage in which Dan is exercising and jogging and making "a new man" of himself.

This film cost $3 million to make and only made, so far, $673,151.

And it certainly wasn't advertised for what it was.

But should it have been advertised as "a gay film"?

Would it have made more money?

(Jack Black, who stars in the film, was also the major source of investment capital.)

3046115-poster-p-1-the-writer-directors-

It was sold as a bromantic comedy- but it crosses the line by having the bros actually consume their subtext desire to be lovers.

• Like 1

It was sold as a bromantic comedy- but it crosses the line by having the bros actually consume their subtext desire to be lovers.

You said it, Josh, it really "pushed the envelope", thanks to its' writers and directors, Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel.

Even with its' current DVD release, it is still being sold as a high school reunion film.

Why can't it be sold as what it is - a "bromance" that takes the "bros" into the bedroom?

I just saw this on showtime and thought it was a really interesting movie- more bittersweet dramedy- than all out bro comedy.

• Like 1

I just saw this on showtime and thought it was a really interesting movie- more bittersweet dramedy- than all out bro comedy.

You're right, "bittersweet dramedy" does capture the tone of the film.

It's really a very daring film.

And I just wish that the film had gotten more recognition.

Maybe sales to TV stations and the DVD's will bring the film into "the black".

The release company did not know how to market the film- even the trailer is kind of dull- they obviously wanted to keep the gay angle a secret ( which does makes the sex scene a bit more shocking)  The movie is daring in it's dealing with bromantic relationships ( I specially like the scene in which the actor tells the two straight  butch friends that he would have screwed both of the them if he had wanted to !)  That title sucks big time too.

The release company did not know how to market the film- even the trailer is kind of dull- they obviously wanted to keep the gay angle a secret ( which does makes the sex scene a bit more shocking)  The movie is daring in it's dealing with bromantic relationships ( I specially like the scene in which the actor tells the two straight  butch friends that he would have screwed both of the them if he had wanted to !)  That title sucks big time too.

Right, Josh, that title is a big, big mistake - it is supposedly Daniel's "nom de plume", right?

Yes, yes, I, too, loved that scene at the end in which Oliver tells the two high school butches that he could have **** them, but he simply decided that he wouldn't.

I also liked Oliver's line, in explaining his "fallen state" to Dan - "I peaked in the eleventh grade". 

There is just so much that is going on in this film - it really is some kind of "masterpiece".

Kyle Borheimer who plays one of the butch friends is in a similar theme short called "Spokane"

• Like 1