Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

36,050 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

If we are talking about these five guys, not much competition. Personally I think Obama will end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Clinton may rank higher, but the others above will rank lower.  Obama did preside over the economic recovery and bailed out the auto industry and got ACA passed.  However, the ACA is pretty much dead and the economy had to get better.  What lasting contributions did he actually achieve?

17 hours ago, jakeem said:

When will Donny ever learn about NATO?

Maybe when his voters learn about it they can pass it up the chain of whatever

to him. A true grassroots movement. 

You've got to wonder if the major European powers aren't talking to one another

about how to coordinate against the sheer ignorance of Donny until the inmate is

no longer running the asylum. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jakeem said:

DhVi23VXcAA50TU.jpg

One old scam artist meeting another, older scam artist. They can spend a lot

of the time comparing notes.

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

I like Obama too, but when you take a look at the photo, it's not

much of an accolade. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheCid said:

If we are talking about these five guys, not much competition. Personally I think Obama will end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Clinton may rank higher, but the others above will rank lower.  Obama did preside over the economic recovery and bailed out the auto industry and got ACA passed.  However, the ACA is pretty much dead and the economy had to get better.  What lasting contributions did he actually achieve?

I love Obama but he messed up big time by not making Merrick Garland a recess appointment,  He had to have known, by that point certainly, that McConnell would screw with him.  Maybe he figured Hillary would win but he should have known better than to assume that (you know how the expression goes).

Dear Europe,

We are so sorry.  Please don't give up on us yet unless Donny declares himself dictator-for-life.

Yours truly,

United States of America

• Thanks 1

Unless things change, I am guessing that there will be 51 or 50 GOP votes 

for Kavanaugh, so the red state Dem Senators can vote for him since he will

already be in without their votes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

I love Obama but he messed up big time by not making Merrick Garland a recess appointment,  He had to have known, by that point certainly, that McConnell would screw with him.  Maybe he figured Hillary would win but he should have known better than to assume that (you know how the expression goes).

I have tremendous respect for Pres. Obama (voted for him twice) and think he tried to do a lot.  He was a good man trying to do good things.  However, much of what he accomplished will be eliminated by Trump and the Republicans. Of course, part of this is because the Dems lost control of Congress in 2010 and it got even worse.  While good, the ACA may have been a huge political mistake and gave the GOPers the ammunition they needed to take over the country. 

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I have tremendous respect for Pres. Obama (voted for him twice) and think he tried to do a lot.  He was a good man trying to do good things.  However, much of what he accomplished will be eliminated by Trump and the Republicans. Of course, part of this is because the Dems lost control of Congress in 2010 and it got even worse.  While good, the ACA may have been a huge political mistake and gave the GOPers the ammunition they needed to take over the country. 

Dismantling the ACA will hurt Trump voters (who like the ACA but don't like Obamacare) as will the tariff wars.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheCid said:

While good, the ACA may have been a huge political mistake and gave the GOPers the ammunition they needed to take over the country. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Won't say never try, but the facts of politics are to pick the battles you can win except when you want to do something symbolic.  Also, make sure that the things you do attempt will not torpedo your whole agenda.  Both of these are hard to do, but that is the way it is.

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

Doesn't matter. Obama will always be a great president because of the snake oil salesman who followed him. As for lasting contributions -- well, that depends on how much the next Democratic president can restore in the aftermath of The Very Stable Genius.

We remember Lincoln for freeing the slaves, making them citizens and providing them with voting rights -- not for the 100 years of hell that his predecessors prompted or tolerated after him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

You're underestimating Mitch McConnell. The Senate never was in recess because he had someone in the chamber every day.

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

From what I've read, that would not have worked out very well as Congress could

have booted Garland in a couple of weeks after the appointment. So Garland would

have been gone rather quickly and Obama would still have gotten a lot of flack for

doing it. 

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I like Obama too, but when you take a look at the photo, it's not

much of an accolade. 

Nothing against Obama, he is certainly better than most of the ones in the photo.

But the persons who polled were either too young to remember the 50s or 60s, or if they were alive they weren't aware politics.

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

You're underestimating Mitch McConnell. The Senate never was in recess because he had someone in the chamber every day.

I believe you when you said the Senate was (technically) never in recess but I do not underestimate evil genius Mitch McConnell, aka the turtle.

• Haha 2

My take on the upcoming Trump-Putin summit:  I think it will be like that scene in NETWORK where Peter Finch's character comes under the spell of Ned Beatty's character in that big boardroom.  Putin will tell Trump how it is, how it's going to be and Trump will obey.  "But why me?" asks Trump (although he knows why) and Putin says, "Because you're on television, dummy." (And we've given you a boatload of money and maybe an election.)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Nothing against Obama, he is certainly better than most of the ones in the photo.

But the persons who polled were either too young to remember the 50s or 60s, or if they were alive they weren't aware politics.

I took a quick look at the article and the favorite president does change with the 

generation being asked the question. Actually it's the 1980s that are being

remembered because Reagan is the pick of boomers and the silent (shhhhh, quiet)

generation. FDR is my favorite modern president, though he had his flaws too.

28 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I took a quick look at the article and the favorite president does change with the 

generation being asked the question. Actually it's the 1980s that are being

remembered because Reagan is the pick of boomers and the silent (shhhhh, quiet)

generation. FDR is my favorite modern president, though he had his flaws too.

FDR is probably the greatest President we ever had, but he's my mother's president.

You're in my generation. Of course, I picked Jack. Would you pick LBJ?

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

FDR is probably the greatest President we ever had, but he's my mother's president.

No, while LBJ was a great president in the cause of civil rights, he also got into a

mess in Vietnam, so that comes out neutral. Sorry, I've never liked JFK that much.

Guess I'll stick with Obama with FDR as honorable mention. This reminds me that

my grandmother's sister was an ardent admirer of Roosevelt, while my grandmother

was a Republican who didn't think much of him. I would have loved to hear some of

their back and forth conversations. 

CAUre-TWwAA8muH.png:large

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I agree with most historians: Lincoln is No. 1 because he saved the Union. Washington is No. 2 because he established most of the presidential precedents. FDR is third because he transformed the nation while guiding it through the Great Depression and the last "good" war. 

Kennedy and LBJ are in the Top 10, but I admire Truman more because he sometimes had to make monumentally tough decisions with little time to prepare for the consequences. He always said he never lost a night's sleep because of his choices. He also went to bed during a tense Election Night in 1948. He had supreme confidence in the American people.

Image result for truman quotes

• Thanks 1