Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

50,033 posts in this topic

Reports coming in are saying Trump hijacked the NATO summit with his PR escapade.  Virtually nothing on the agenda was addressed.   The appeasement of his disruption has been likened to world leaders reactions to Hitler in the early days.  Putin must be very happy with his western democracy attack dog.  Meanwhile the spineless GOP does nothing.

• Sad 3

Keith Boykin Retweeted AP South U.S. Region

Emmett Till, a 14-year-old black boy, was murdered August 28, 1955 after Carolyn Donham, a white woman, accused him of insulting her in a Mississippi store. Donham recanted her story but was never tried. An all-white jury acquitted the killers, J.W. Milam and Roy Bryant in 1955.

• Thanks 1

Quite a WaPo poll: Americans divided 48%-48% on whether the question of the Trump campaign colluding with Russia is "a serious issue" or "more of a distraction." Democrats: 78% serious issue. Republicans: 86% more of a distraction.

Dh56z5AWsAEQZHe.jpg

15 hours ago, jakeem said:

Doesn't matter. Obama will always be a great president because of the snake oil salesman who followed him. As for lasting contributions -- well, that depends on how much the next Democratic president can restore in the aftermath of The Very Stable Genius.

We remember Lincoln for freeing the slaves, making them citizens and providing them with voting rights -- not for the 100 years of hell that his predecessors prompted or tolerated after him.

Lincoln is remembered for saving the Union.  Freeing the slaves was an afterthought and never his intention.  He only freed them in parts of Confederacy (USA) still in rebellion as a military strategy.  He was dead before slaves actually freed and African-Americans were given voting rights and citizenship.  That was accomplished later by the Radical Republicans in Congress.

Lincoln's ranking has nothing to do with where Obama ranks.

As for Obama, really too early to rank, but "greatness" is measured on what the person accomplished that lasted.  That is what will do Obama in.  His ranking will have nothing to do with where Trump ranks.  Trump has already been rated as 45 out of 45 by the experts.

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

Darla Shine, wife of fired Fox News exec & Trump's new communication chief Bill Shine: "You know there was just a story with these girls who are upset that they're sexually harassed in the military...They shouldn't even be allowed." Horrible woman. #Maddow https://bit.ly/2JbVMQx 

Dh2_IE_XkAY80WY.jpg

I would like to see a submarine that will hold 4,000 soldiers.

Also, I guess she believes that sexual harassment does not happen elsewhere in the military?

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

President Trump's barrage of acidic rhetoric at the NATO summit was "beyond belief," reeling diplomats say https://cnn.it/2ufwlsG 

As we should all know by now, it does not matter.  What he does and what he says are for two purposes only.  To satisfy his base and to massage his ego.  He also now knows that he can do anything and the GOPers will not do anything about it.  Congress' useless trade resolution is proof of that.

• Haha 1

Interesting that Ohio is going after Stormy Daniels with such vigor while at the same time it is defending Jim Jordan.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

Lincoln is remembered for saving the Union.  Freeing the slaves was an afterthought and never his intention.  He only freed them in parts of Confederacy (USA) still in rebellion as a military strategy.  He was dead before slaves actually freed and African-Americans were given voting rights and citizenship.  That was accomplished later by the Radical Republicans in Congress.

Lincoln's ranking has nothing to do with where Obama ranks.

As for Obama, really too early to rank, but "greatness" is measured on what the person accomplished that lasted.  That is what will do Obama in.  His ranking will have nothing to do with where Trump ranks.  Trump has already been rated as 45 out of 45 by the experts.

I believe I said elsewhere on Page 1393 that I agreed with most historians: "Lincoln is No. 1 because he saved the Union." But he isn't called "The Great Emancipator" for nothing. It doesn't matter why he ultimately signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the fact is that he did it. Steven Spielberg even did an entire movie about Lincoln's role in the passage of the 13th Amendment.

History will be generous to Obama, and not only because he was the first African-American president (and one without any Western Hemisphere slaves as ancestors). He'll also be remembered for being at the helm during the recovery from the nation's greatest economic crisis since the Depression. And for the passage of Obama Care, no matter what its eventual fate is.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it's possible that many Obama era policies nullified by the Trump administration will be restored someday.

I have a feeling that Obama's greatness also will be measured by how much he accomplished in spite of almost total non-cooperation from the opposition party. And he'll always look good in comparison to The Very Stable Genius, who continues to be a worldwide laughingstock. Especially in the major scandals department. Last time I looked, Obama didn't have any.

Image result for obama dropping the mic gif

North Korean officials didn't show up for a planned meeting with U.S. officials to discuss returning the remains of American war dead (Yonhap reports); the latest sign that the Singapore summit - which was a month ago today - may have been a nothing burger

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

I believe I said elsewhere on Page 1393 that I agreed with most historians: "Lincoln is No. 1 because he saved the Union." But he isn't called "The Great Emancipator" for nothing. It doesn't matter why he ultimately signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the fact is that he did it. Steven Spielberg even did an entire movie about Lincoln's role in the passage of the 13th Amendment.

History will be generous to Obama, and not only because he was the first African-American president (and one without any Western Hemisphere slaves as ancestors). He'll also be remembered for being at the helm during the recovery from the nation's greatest economic crisis since the Depression. And for the passage of Obama Care, no matter what its eventual fate is.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it's possible that many Obama era policies nullified by the Trump administration will be restored someday.

I have a feeling that Obama's greatness also will be measured by how much he accomplished in spite of almost total non-cooperation from the opposition party. And he'll always look good in comparison to The Very Stable Genius, who continues to be a worldwide laughingstock. Especially in the major scandals department. Last time I looked, Obama didn't have any.

Actually Lincoln was opposed to amending the Constitution, but did permit the 13th Amendment proposal to be part of his re-election campaign.  As the public became more inclined to abolish slavery, Lincoln came on board for it to be done by Federal law.  He actually believed that it should be done by the states and by the people of the states.  He did sign the resolution for it to submitted to the states to be approved as an amendment to the Constitution, thereby letting the states decide.  By the time it was ratified, Lincoln was dead.  The former Confederate States were controlled by the Radical Republicans.

While Lincoln believed in the abolition of slavery, the Radical Republicans are the ones who pushed it through and got him to become more forceful in getting it done.

Should be noted that the proposed amendment barely passed the House and Senate by the required majorities even with the ten Southern states not being represented.  The Radical Republicans also used bribery and other methods to get it passed, upon Lincoln's "instructions."

Lincoln also believed that African-Americans were intellectually inferior to whites, should not be allowed to vote and should be repatriated to Africa.  I have tremendous admiration for Lincoln, but let's not make him something he wasn't.  Ending slavery was not his primary accomplishment as president, saving the Union was.

As for Obama, I already mentioned his part in the recovery.  But the economy is not really something upon which a president can really have an effect.  If so, the Trump is a "genius."  My opinion is that the recovery began, Obama nursed it along and the people did the rest to get it really going.

Whether or not Obama is great will be decided by others some time in the future.  He'll probably end up between 11 and 20.

I watched part of the Republican Inquisition of the FBI agent on TV this morning.  Got to see a real dog fight between Dems and GOPers.  It is unfortunate how much professionalism and decency has declined since the Tea Party movement began.  It has only gotten worse since 2010 and the GOP takeover of Congress.  Was impressed by the Dems ability to disrupt the chairman's dictatorial attempts at running the meeting by use of House rules and parliamentary procedures.  Trey Gowdy's performance was particularly distasteful and an embarrassment for South Carolina.  Of course, his base and the GOPers will eat it up and it will help him get his next job.

Speaking of professionalism, why does Jim Jordan not wear a coat?  Of all the men in the combined committee meeting, he was the only one without a coat.  The women on the committee were dressed better than Jordan.

Image result for Rep Jim Jordan in shirt

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Whether or not Obama is great will be decided by others some time in the future.  He'll probably end up between 11 and 20.

Yeah, time will tell. A February 2017 C-Span survey of historians ranked him No. 12. And that was only one month after he left the Oval Office.

Just now, jakeem said:

Alexandria Detention Center releases booking photo for former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort after he was transferred to facility ahead of his trial.

Image result for paul manafort booking photo

Lock her, .... er, I mean him up!:lol:

• Haha 1