Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

58,491 posts in this topic

Just now, jakeem said:

TRUMP: “I get up early in the morning and I turn on television. And I do. But I don’t turn it on very much because I really read the papers much more than I watch the television, O.K.?”

Sounds too much like Palin;  So Donald,  what papers do you read?   The New York Times????? 

Based on how he acts I would assume only the National Enquirer. 

• Haha 3

How was Ralph Northam even allowed to take pictures like that for a yearbook? Why did no one in the school say this is wrong?

The answer: No one in the entire school had a problem with these photos. That's institutional racism.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

To add to the shock, a page from Northam's yearbook at the Virginia Military Institute listed one of his nicknames as "****man," a racial slur. Story from @Grace_Segers https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ralph-northams-yearbook-page-shows-man-in-****-costume-and-another-apparently-in-blackface/  https://archive.org/details/bomb1981virg/page/90 

It’s not clear if either of the men in the klan robe or blackface was actually Northam, but if so, Virginia Republicans call on him to step down: "If Governor Northam appeared in blackface or dressed in a_KKK robe, he should resign immediately.”

2 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Maggie Haberman Retweeted Alex Seitz-Wald

A governor in a crucial presidential state who will guarantee that every Dem candidate gets asked about this for the next year? What could go wrong?

Not sure I'm following Maggie here;   So should Northam resign because he is no longer fit to carry out his duties or should he do so to help save face for the Dem party?   I.e. to NOT hurt the Dems changes of defeating Trump?

Anyhow,  I assume every Dem running for President will say that he has to resign.   I.e. they have no choice since it was the Dems that set the so called 'standard' of what is acceptable behavior done decades ago.

People got up to some stupid BS 35 years ago, but the first thing I thought when I read that story was, "How did the yearbook staff, the teacher involved in the process, all of those who proofread and printed the yearbook...let that picture slide." It's incredible to me that it was allowed to go through in 1984, when we were supposedly already more "enlightened" along those lines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

People got up to some stupid BS 35 years ago, but the first thing I thought when I read that story was, "How did the yearbook staff, the teacher involved in the process, all of those who proofread and printed the yearbook...let that picture slide." It's incredible to me that it was allowed to go through in 1984, when we were supposedly already more "enlightened" along those lines. 

Same here;   Yea,  my yearbooks has some negative stuff in it,  but only what some of my classmates signed (e.g. hey, James, you always had the best bud,  hope to see you in the summer!). 

But none of the stuff that was printed as part of the 'process' was anything but 'acceptable',  nothing-to-get-upset about content.  

Now I could see the blackface getting by the proofreaders but that guy in the K-K-K outfit?????     Yea, this was the South,  but as you note it was also 1984.          

• Thanks 1

I've no problem with people calling for Northam to resign. I'm 100% fine with it. But if you're doing so and *haven't* publicly called for Trump to resign at least *30 times*, including after he called neo-Nazis "fine people" in *2017*, I have *strong* feelings about your values.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There aren’t two sets of rules for our friends and our foes: Right is right and wrong is wrong. Americans deserve to be respected by their leaders, and racism cannot be excused in our government or anywhere else. Having seen the photo, I believe Governor Northam should resign.