Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

68,474 posts in this topic

Donald J. Trump Retweeted Ronna McDaniel

Impeach for what, having created perhaps the greatest Economy in our Country’s history, rebuilding our Military, taking care of our Vets (Choice), Judges, Best Jobs Numbers Ever, and much more? Dems are Obstructionists!

5:10 AM - 27 May 2019

• Haha 1

Graham isn’t worried about letting Barr declassify intelligence information

“Did they have a lawful reason to surveil President Trump’s campaign? Did they lie to the [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance] court,” Graham asked. “Every American should want to find that out.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/26/classified-information-bill-barr-lindsey-graham-1345018

L-w7w3Gk?format=jpg&name=600x314

• Sad 1

.@ianbremmer now admits that he MADE UP “a completely ludicrous quote,” attributing it to me. This is what’s going on in the age of Fake News. People think they can say anything and get away with it. Really, the libel laws should be changed to hold Fake News Media accountable!

4:57 AM - 27 May 2019
  • Haha 1

George Conway Retweeted Donald J. Trump

But what you actually said was just as bad. The reason why the made-up quote was so believable was because you regularly say things that are equally appalling, absurd, and ignorant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My tweet yesterday about Trump preferring Kim Jong Un to Biden as President was meant in jest. The President correctly quoted me as saying it was a “completely ludicrous” statement. I should have been clearer. My apologies.

Replying to @nytpolitics

I used the chat feature at the New York Times yesterday to complain about the story and cancel my subscription. The rep said they had received many complaints about the story. The rep offered me 8 free weeks if I’d stay a subscriber. I decided to stay.

Howard Dean Retweeted Gerry Cohen

Nice, message delivered. This is a lot bigger problem than one article though. The worst headline I have EVER seen in the Times was a couple of months ago. "Mueller Report Clears Trump". Not one NYT reporter (or any other writer) had read the report.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

UPDATE: @ianbremmer has now admitted that he fabricated this viral Trump quote. And yet it is being shared by journalists and congressmen as if it is real.

I've got an idea: stop using Twitter as a legitimate news source. It's just gossip that's encouraged to have as little depth as possible. Journalists could stop being lazy and actually investigate rather than sit at their desk/at home and copy and paste their Twitter and Facebook feeds.

(This isn't directed at you, jakeem. As far as I know, you are not a professional journalist nor is the TCM message board a news service.)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've got an idea: stop using Twitter as a legitimate news source. It's just gossip that's encouraged to have as little depth as possible. Journalists could stop being lazy and actually investigate rather than sit at their desk/at home and copy and paste their Twitter and Facebook feeds.

(This isn't directed at you, jakeem. As far as I know, you are not a professional journalist nor is the TCM message board a news service.)

But like those Russians,  jakeem spreads a lot of fake news and I believe he uses bots.

Facebook would likely ban him if he represented far-right views.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Trump coverup no one is talking about: The emperor has no money
Opinion    By E.J. Dionne Jr.    Read more »

This is not about Trump's personal finances but about America's finances.  Here is a small bit from a good article ...

But Trump’s theatrics were also very convenient because they disguised the fact that he cannot now, or ever, deliver on his signature promise to create a “great” infrastructure program. This is why Trump “infrastructure weeks” have become a standing joke in Washington. LaTourette was right: The Republican Party is no longer interested in spending public money to solve big problems if doing so gets in the way of cutting taxes.

LaTourette explained this in his rough-and-ready way back in 2011 when he called the 2010 tea party class of Republicans “knuckledraggers that came in in the last election that hate taxes.”

One of those newcomers was Mick Mulvaney, now Trump’s acting chief of staff and budget director. From the moment Trump, Pelosi and Schumer announced their convergence on a $2 trillion infrastructure plan last month, Mulvaney began sabotaging it. “Is it difficult to pass any infrastructure bill in this environment, let alone a $2 trillion one, in this environment? Absolutely,” Mulvaney said.

• Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I would apply it to those who copy and paste to this board as well.

Actually I have Jakeem on ignore because of the sheer volume of his posts and the size of them (takes time to even scroll through them).  I now look at the last couple of pages to see if anyone responded to them or to see if anyone else has posted to the "All things Trump" thread.  I figure if no one responded, I won't bother to open and read Jakeem's.  Incidentally I informed of this some time back.

6 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

The title is misleading.  I thought it mean Trump had no money.  It actually is a very good article about how the Republicans are refusing to even consider a serious infrastructure bill because it might require raising corporate tax rate which they reduced hugely in the 2017 tax cuts frenzy.  Raise the rate from 21% to 23% for example.

Not mentioned, but also should be considered would be a significant reduction in military spending.

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

But like those Russians,  jakeem spreads a lot of fake news and I believe he uses bots.

Facebook would likely ban him if he represented far-right views.

I make up a lot of it myself, too! :ph34r:

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Why Trump’s Stonewalling Legal Strategy Will Keep Failing

If he’s trying to run out the clock on the subpoenas, the weakness of his strategy might actually be speeding things up

"...Trump’s argument .... claiming that Congress is engaging in “law enforcement” and that corrupt behavior by the president is not a “proper subject of investigation.” Mehta cited Watergate as an obvious rebuttal.

Trump’s argument is doomed to fail in the courts because the Constitution gives the House the “full power of impeachment” and it could not exercise that authority without investigating presidential wrongdoing. Mehta found that it is “simply not fathomable” that

“a Constitution that grants Congress the power to remove a president for reasons including criminal behavior would deny Congress the power to investigate him for unlawful conduct—past or present—even without formally opening an impeachment inquiry.”........

What is remarkable about these sweeping rulings is not the results, which were expected, but the speed with which they were issued. Mehta issued his 41-page ruling just seven days after hearing arguments.

If Trump’s team is not alarmed by the speed and sweeping nature—not to mention the almost dismissive tone—of the two judgments against the president, it should be. Trump’s strategy on a variety of fronts has been to take extreme positions denying congressional authority to investigate the president....

his strategy is not only generating adverse results quickly, but it could very well convince a court that he is acting in bad faith.

If that happens, the House could get the courts to do what it is ill-equipped to do itself:

enforce compliance with congressional subpoenas.

That could get congressional investigations, or even an impeachment inquiry, off the ground. "

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/26/trump-tax-returns-subpoena-226987

Attorney General Holder and Pres Barrack Obama "stonewalled" subpoenas or other investigations for 7 years or until they were both gone and it died.  However, it is up to the judges who set their own dockets to decide.  I think the ones mentioned above will now have to go to an appeals panel and then to a full appeals court and then to the Supreme Court.

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

By the way, I'm sure most of the fake news on Twitter comes from The Very Stable Genius and his minions. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I would apply it to those who copy and paste to this board as well.

Yeah, well you probably would never have heard about Bremmer's faux pas if it hadn't been copied and posted here.

• Thanks 1

A coin on a headstone lets the deceased soldier's family know that somebody stopped & paid respects. Penny: You visited. Nickel: You and the deceased soldier trained at boot camp together. Dime: Served together. Quarter: You were with that soldier when killed. #MemorialDay

D7kqiDSWkAU8MTP.jpg