Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

70,598 posts in this topic

Aren't most religions a bit "radical" though? How often do you see atheists behind a gun? It happens, I am sure. Yet the percentile can not be that great since you have to have a lot of passion and fervor (including religious) in order to pull the trigger and destroy lives without any remorse. Also, let's face it. The Holy Text is jam-packed with killings, sacrifices and stonings of ladies who aren't virgins. The only time religion is peaceful is when its practitioners accept the fact that ALL books are written by MEN rather than God.

Well, I suppose religion is ALSO beneficial to society in ANOTHER way, JL.

It supplies little "guidelines" for people who for whatever reason never learned to think for themselves and then act in accordance with what ALL religions "SAY" they're ultimately about...THE GOLDEN RULE!!!

And it's just a shame that so many people in the world who call themselves "religious" use selected parts of these "guidelines" as rationale for their freakin' HATRED of others! YOU know, like this idiot in Orlando did, AND that idiot self-proclaimed "Christian" Texas Lieutenant Governor who tweeted his opinion of why that idiot in Orlando did what he did.

(...and because of course in THEIR little religious brains, "God hates Gays")

***edit to follow***

Forgot to mention that I just watched the Orlando shooter's father being interviewed on my TV, and YEP, true to form, there was yet ANOTHER idiot who called his son "a good boy", but because of the father's religious beliefs which he passed down to his "good boy", he mentioned HIS "belief" that "God hates gays" TOO, although in the father's "defense", he DID also mention HIS belief that "only God has the right 'to punish' gay people".

And so there ya GO! Pretty much explains THIS latest little gun related horror in our country, now doesn't it!

Edited by Dargo
  • Like 1

Aren't most religions a bit "radical" though? How often do you see atheists behind a gun? It happens, I am sure. Yet the percentile can not be that great since you have to have a lot of passion and fervor (including religious) in order to pull the trigger and destroy lives without any remorse. Also, let's face it. The Holy Text is jam-packed with killings, sacrifices and stonings of ladies who aren't virgins. The only time religion is peaceful is when its practitioners accept the fact that ALL books are written by MEN rather than God.

All it takes is one little kiss to make some go postal. :o

• Like 1

As Is Radical Christian.  That would hardly fly over here, would it?

A person who claims to be a Christian that kills like that is NOT a Christian.  People with true Christian faith hates the sin not the person. 

I had read on another messageboard some speculation that Omar just MIGHT have had some "orientation" issues of his own. I am curious why he divorced his wife so quickly while his son was still very young. Note that his son also saw the two guys kissing in Miami and that is what upset Omar. However his son was ONLY three years old! Would he even remember the incident later?

I suspect he was "in the closet" himself... or heterosexual but confused about something regarding himself. They say that Mel Gibson had a fetish for rear-ends himself, flaunting his own in the first LETHAL WEAPON movie. Julia Roberts even joked about it in a famous scene in NOTTING HILL. This may account for his own homophobia (although he apologized for his comments over the years). Mel may not be gay, but he definitely THINKS a lot about certain parts of the anatomy.

My point is this:

It does not matter what religion you are. The Koran or Bible is used by everybody like a breakfast buffet. You take out what you want and leave the rest. There is a lot of cherry picking through those old barbaric texts that were never "revised" after the 1450s when the printing presses started producing multiple copies at once.

• Like 1

A person who claims to be a Christian that kills like that is NOT a Christian.  People with true Christian faith hates the sin not the person. 

BUT of course, all their sins can just MAGICALLY be washed away from their personal little "ledger sheet" IF only they pronounce their belief in Jesus Christ being their Lord and Savior, and thus then granting them admittance into the Kingdom of God forever after once and they shed their sinful little mortal coil, huh ham.

(...yep, this agnostic here has always "loved" how that "works"...but then again "magic" has always fascinated me, ya know)

BUT of course, all their sins can just MAGICALLY be washed away from their personal little "ledger sheet" IF only they pronounce their belief in Jesus Christ being their Lord and Savior, and thus then granting them admittance into the Kingdom of God forever after once and they shed their sinful little mortal coil, huh ham.

(...yep, this agnostic here has always "loved" how that "works"...but then again "magic" has always fascinated me, ya know)

SIMPLE as that but it's surprising how many Christians adds "baggage" to the faith.  By the way it's power not magic. :)

This is my favorite scene in "Stigmata" (1999) notably 1:50 into the clip

And that's exactly what people of the Muslim faith say as well.  People who do violence are NOT of the true Islamic faith.

I'm against the 20 week cutoff period also. I wouldn't be a one issue voter,

but at the end of the day, in a primary or the general election, one vote

makes no difference. The NRA has been very successful, much more so

than pro-choice people. I don't see the NRA having a slippery slope problem.

It appears we define 'slippery slope' differently.    Again, my point was that people often use slippery slope to say they can't support a specific proposed law just because that law MAY lead to an even more restrict law  (instead of just saying why they don't support that specific law).       

The NRA uses the bogus slippery slope point over and over again.    They will be using it yet again with the latest mass shooting in Florida when progressives ask for 'reasonable' gun control. 

You appear to define slippery slope as groups trying to push more and more restrictive laws (or sometimes less and less restrictions).   i.e. they are able to get bill X passed and now will try for bill Y.     Hey, I agree that is often the case with activists but it wasn't how I was using slippery slope in my initial reply to you. 

As for the NRA being more successful then pro-choice groups;  yes, that is true but that is because the USA is more pro-gun then it is pro-choice.      

As for the NRA being more successful then pro-choice groups;  yes, that is true but that is because the USA is more pro-gun then it is pro-choice.      

I think this is 100% due to money and the propaganda machine that follows it.

it isn't generally understood that christ sacrificing his life on the cross only is for the remission of past sins up to the point of recognition of jesus as savior but does not remit future sins they may be committed going forward.

as for the Kingdom of God the conditions for entry are specified by christ himself to nicodemus...

"except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God."

:D

I think this is 100% due to money and the propaganda machine that follows it.

Yeah, well, lets remember here Bogie, and as I earlier said(okay, actually mocked), we Americans need all the guns we can get our hands on so that when that tyrannical government of ours comes knockin' at our door, we can fight 'em off!!!

OR, as as many of our, err, I mean MY fellow citizens might say, "An armed society is a polite society", and of course the VERY reason why we Americans are known far and wide as being MUCH more polite than you poor gun-less Canucks are!!! ;)

LOL

it isn't generally understood that christ sacrificing his life on the cross only is for the remission of past sins up to the point of recognition of jesus as savior but does not remit future sins they may be committed going forward.

as for the Kingdom of God the conditions for entry are specified by christ himself to nicodemus...

"except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God."

Sorry ND, but that whole "live forever" stuff of your beliefs not only just seems yet another controlling manner in which to reward people for acting in a manner they ALREADY should be acting in, but ALSO seems just about the MOST egocentric of philosophies mankind has ever cooked up!

(...'cause to MY way of thinking, there have been very very VERY few people who have ever walked this earth and who have done great enough good things to DESERVE "living forever" in some imagined otherworldly "paradise"!!!!)

Yeah, well, lets remember here Bogie, and as I earlier said(okay, actually mocked), we Americans need all the guns we can get our hands on so that when that tyrannical government of ours comes knockin' at our door, we can fight 'em off!!!

OR, as as many of our, err, I mean MY fellow citizens might say, "An armed society is a polite society", and of course the VERY reason why we Americans are known far and wide as being MUCH more polite than you poor gun-less Canucks are!!! ;)

LOL

I don't agree with Bogie that the lack of sane \ reasonable gun control laws is "100% due to money and the propaganda machine that follows it".       I think our overall general love for guns relates more to our history (e.g. guns were useful in the revolution against the British),  and how guns have historically been linked to freedom as well as the fact that there is the 2nd amendment.   e.g. look at our movies over the last 80 years!       (as misguided as many of these interpretations of our history might be). 

As someone that lives in AZ I'm interested in your POV. 

But really if "100% due to money and the propaganda machine that follows it',   this has to be the most successful brainwashing operation in our history.

Gun control in the US would be next to impossible. If they did pass a ban on assault weapons, people would still get them through numerous loopholes, or simply illegally. It may make it harder for some people to get them, but they would still be able to. When the previous assault weapon ban was in effect, I knew at least 5 people who had at least one assault rifle, and that's just in my one small community, and out of the relatively few people I know. Plus, you have to consider that the number of guns already out in circulation is so high that unless there was some wildly expensive reclamation program there would still be enough "to go around", so to speak.

And even in the eventuality that a gun ban passed, nutcases would still attack, using pistols, rifles, shotguns, bombs, cars, knives, machetes, even tooth & claw if they are so driven. The damage done may conceivably be lessened with less assault-style rifles, but as previously stated, even those would be available on the black market or the more likely "collectible" market that always manages to get around gun legislation. 

There is no "silver bullet", easy answer solution to mass killings. And despite the protestations of the more simple-minded, this isn't just an Islam thing, either. Radical Islam provides a psychological justification/rationalization for horrible acts, but so do other religions. Did we already forget about the Christian right-wing nutcase that shot up the abortion clinic in Colorado last year? Or the black, gay shooter who targeted his white, straight colleagues? We see more Islamic terrorists now due to a perceived war between the West and the Islamic world perpetuated by those in power and those who seek power, who use their religion to manipulate troubled, disenfranchised people into doing horrible things in the name of their religion.

I don't have the answers. I don't think anyone else does, either. Or at least I haven't heard them yet. Feel free to share if you do. I get the feeling some posters would like to see all Muslims deported or even simply executed, neither of which makes any sense either practically or morally.

• Like 2

I don't agree with Bogie that the lack of sane \ reasonable gun control laws is "100% due to money and the propaganda machine that follows it".       I think our overall general love for guns relates more to our history (e.g. guns were useful in the revolution against the British),  and how guns have historically been linked to freedom as well as the fact that there is the 2nd amendment.   e.g. look at our movies over the last 80 years!       (as misguided as many of these interpretations of our history might be). 

As someone that lives in AZ I'm interested in your POV. 

But really if "100% due to money and the propaganda machine that follows it',   this has to be the most successful brainwashing operation in our history.

I think there's truth in BOTH yours AND Bogie's comment here, James.

And, as a Arizonan now(and as you might know is a region of this country that still to this day seems to have a strong belief in the "wild west mentality", and especially and as is the case in almost ALL regions of this country, the more rural the inhabitant, the more likely they ARE to still believe in that "wild west mentality") all I can tell you is that, yes, Arizona has a strong "gun culture" within its borders, and that the three guns I own which were handed down to me by my father hold far less interest for me than do my beautiful little 550 Porsche Spyder and my three Triumph motorcycles.

And BASICALLY because ya can't hop on a freakin' gun and drive or ride to one of the beautiful picturesque locations to be found within this state's borders. AND because I could never see why some people find guns and the idea of shootin' 'em so freakin' fascinating?!!!. Ya stand there as still as possible, you take aim and pull the freakin' trigger, and so what's so freakin' fascinating about THAT kind'a "sport", HUH?!

(...notice the quotation marks I placed around the word "sport" there, 'cause to MY way of thinkin', ANY out of shape idiot can do THAT sort'a thing...uh-huh, and just like my fat-a**ed, fat-gutted and out of shape neighbor Rick down the street here who's REALLY into guns...OH, and WHO btw of course has planted a little "Vote for Trump" campaign banner in front of his house...yep, fat AND dumb, ol' Rick be...nice guy otherwise, I suppose)

LOL

Edited by Dargo

My comment about it being 100% due to money and the propaganda that follows was specifically aimed at why the NRA is more successful than pro-choice groups.  Guns are big business.  Pro-choice is not.  Though i do feel a lot of the deep rooted gun culture is born of serious lifestyle propaganda.

Changing things up a bit, I am reminded of the interview that the Muslin Uncle of the Boston bombers gave.  He was asked about their radicalization and he got angry.  He said his nephews weren't any sort of religious martyrs.  They were losers plain and simple.  100% Losers.  I think it is about time the media started characterizing these mass killers as such.  Losers.

My comment about it being 100% due to money and the propaganda that follows was specifically aimed at why the NRA is more successful than pro-choice groups.  Guns are big business.  Pro-choice is not.  Though i do feel a lot of the deep rooted gun culture is rooted in serious lifestyle propaganda.

Changing things up a bit, I am reminded of the interview that the Muslin Uncle of the Boston bombers gave.  He was asked about their radicalization and he got angry.  He said his nephews weren't any sort of religious martyrs.  They were losers plain and simple.  100% Losers.  I think it is about time the media started characterizing these mass killers as such.  Losers.

Most (if not all) of these mass killers do it for the attention, and our media heaps it upon them to their heart's content. Someone several years ago floated the idea of never saying the name of these killers, simply referring to them as "the killer" and also not showing their photograph, robbing them of the incentive of fame and notoriety. 

Most (if not all) of these mass killers do it for the attention, and our media heaps it upon them to their heart's content. Someone several years ago floated the idea of never saying the name of these killers, simply referring to them as "the killer" and also not showing their photograph, robbing them of the incentive of fame and notoriety. 

My comment in another thread about the Uncle of the Boston bomber was the best verbal answer to this.  He said that they were Losers, plain and simple.  Each time they asked him about their radicalization he responded by saying, "look, they are nothing but a pair of losers."

It appears we define 'slippery slope' differently.    Again, my point was that people often use slippery slope to say they can't support a specific proposed law just because that law MAY lead to an even more restrict law  (instead of just saying why they don't support that specific law).       

The NRA uses the bogus slippery slope point over and over again.    They will be using it yet again with the latest mass shooting in Florida when progressives ask for 'reasonable' gun control. 

You appear to define slippery slope as groups trying to push more and more restrictive laws (or sometimes less and less restrictions).   i.e. they are able to get bill X passed and now will try for bill Y.     Hey, I agree that is often the case with activists but it wasn't how I was using slippery slope in my initial reply to you. 

I don't know if there's that much of a difference. To me slippery slope

means that gradual steps are being taken that will eventually lead to

a final goal. So for the NRA  "common sense" gun restrictions are on

a slippery slope to greater gun control, maybe even banning guns

outright, however impossible that is. To pro-choice people laws such

as waiting periods are one step on the slippery slope to making abortion

illegal, however unlikely that is. Americans may be more pro-gun than

pro-choice, it's certainly likely, though I haven't looked at any polls

on the subject.

My comment in another thread about the Uncle of the Boston bomber was the best verbal answer to this.  He said that they were Losers, plain and simple.  Each time they asked him about their radicalization he responded by saying, "look, they are nothing but a pair of losers."

And thus the very message advocates of religious conversions use to entice over to their cause the LOSERS of the world.

In essence, they call to the attention of the loser just how lost and aimless their sorry little lives are, and then suggest there's "a better way"!

Yep, it's just "good basic salesmanship", and like all the losers who've come to "believe" Donny knows what the hell he's talking about and then buy into his simple little messages, hook, line and sinker.

(...and of course as Mr. Thoreau once observed, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation...", there's always going to be a sufficient supply of them in the world for the easy picking)

• Like 1

I wrote the above before the Orlando mass murder.  Today Trump tweeted "thanks for the congratulations" on being right about more terrorist attacks.

Even a broken analog clock is right twice a day! Bogie, you are right....but it's just BFO's (brilliant flashes of the obvious).

In today's zombie-like teleprompter speech, Trump said Clinton only wants terrorist refugees to be admitted to the States.  Unbelievable that he gets away with saying such things.

Will they call him Honest Donald if he becomes pres?  Somehow I doubt it.

He also claimed that the father of the Orlando shooter was Taliban.

In today's zombie-like teleprompter speech, Trump said Clinton only wants terrorist refugees to be admitted to the States.  Unbelievable that he gets away with saying such things.

Will they call him Honest Donald if he becomes pres? Somehow I doubt it.

Oooooh, I'd say you're pretty darn safe in bettin' that many of the people who seem to believe in the simpleminded and over-simplified little utterances comin' out of his pie hole would/will call the blowhard that, Bogie ol' boy.

(...remember here, and according THEM..."it's those 'fancy talkers' who are the dishonest among us")

;)

Will they call him Honest Donald if he becomes pres?  Somehow I doubt it.

Yeah right, only he uses a teleprompter. :huh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/10107357/President-Barack-Obama-left-speechless-after-aides-forget-to-load-teleprompter.html

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/obamas-teleprompters

Sorry ND, but that whole "live forever" stuff of your beliefs not only just seems yet another controlling manner in which to reward people for acting in a manner they ALREADY should be acting in, but ALSO seems just about the MOST egocentric of philosophies mankind has ever cooked up!

(...'cause to MY way of thinking, there have been very very VERY few people who have ever walked this earth and who have done great enough good things to DESERVE "living forever" in some imagined otherworldly "paradise"!!!!)

humankind's all too habitual predeliction for going his own way is addressed in the bible...

"For there is a way that seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof is the way of death."

proverbs 14:12