Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Movie Stars In Their Underwear

163 posts in this topic

These look like shots fron a book I have, "Movie Stars in Bathtubs", from the late 70s, which I found used.

Please tell me that "Movie Stars in Bathtubs" is a coffee table book!

Or perhaps this book would be better suited as reading material for the bathroom?

Lol. Tom, I may be wrong, but I think the middle was from BUTTERFIELD 8. But who's quibbling!

She makes a slip look good.  Normally they don't fit that well (though, obviously I realize that they were specifically designed, sewn and tailored for her figure).  Whenever I've had to wear a slip (which I'll admit isn't often because I hate them and rarely wear dresses or skirts), they always just kind of sag.  If I could look like Liz in a slip, I may be more compelled to wear one.  Though, I'd have to get plastic surgery first... The area where the slip sags on me most definitely does not sag on Liz.

She looks fabulous in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  When she's in the slinky slip, you can't take your eyes off her (yes even the ladies).  Paul Newman, who?  I haven't seen Butterfield 8 in a long time.  While I don't remember the movie being all that great, not bad, but nothing special, I do remember that she looked gorgeous in it.

I'm glad they ditched the pink dress with the strange bust-line for Cleopatra.  That dress does NOT look like something Cleopatra would wear.  I am not too familiar with Ancient Egyptian/Roman history, but did they have pink taffeta back then? 

• Like 2

Speaking of movie stars in tubs surrounded by suds, I can't remember the name of the actress, but in last year's movie The Big Short, one of the scenes they shot to try to explain to the average viewer what sub-prime loans were was an actress in a bubble bath drinking champagne or wine.

That would be a great picture for this thread.

Here's the future voice of Disney's The Beast in his tighty whities.

382443430_152a61caf8.jpg

The movie aired a few months ago on TCM as part of their spotlight on movies banned by the Legion of Decency.

• Like 4

These look like shots fron a book I have, "Movie Stars in Bathtubs", from the late 70s, which I found used.

Unfortunately, it isn't, lol. It's not big enough, maybe 7"x9". More importantly, the shots, all black and white, are on course paper, not at all glossy. But I'm sure if I put it on the coffee table, it will get leafed through by just about everybody.

• Like 2

I Google Image'd (It's a new verb I just made up) "classic hollywood beefcake."  This was a brilliant idea, but is also bringing up some other images that I wasn't counting on--many of which involve a strategically placed sock.  I can say that the pictures featuring gratuitous amounts of arm pit, chest or back hair aren't doing anything for me.  Not that the guy has to look like a hairless Olympic swimmer... But looking like a carpet is also a no-go for me.

74fc50b3-585d-48dc-b2ab-ce2c0f689adc.jpg

He might be wearing underwear or a bathing suit.  Who knows and who cares!? Out of all his many vocations that he tried out, Flynn should have been a model! 

Cary+in+towel.PNG

Remember Cary Grant in the hospital in North By Northwest? Lol! 

9e4eb574083ac5a71bab8d89dd38b134.jpg

He's probably wearing underwear... But William Holden looked hot in Picnic.  I don't care if he was too old for his character.  I can see why Kim Novak ran off to Tulsa to be with him.  He's way better than stupid Alan "I work in my daddy's grain mill" Benson.  

2231f07d-1493-4e5f-9f37-1980c9028372.jpg

They are most definitely NOT wearing underwear.  A loincloth has got to be pretty drafty.

• Like 2

What about George Peppard in bed with the sheet down low when Audrey Hepburn comes through the window in Breakfast at Tiffany's?

The movie aired a few months ago on TCM as part of their spotlight on movies banned by the Legion of Decency.

Lol.  

A new image for Arturo's movie stars in their bathtub book:

Robby Benson in the bathtub:

745c894a-bfda-4b04-b3a4-8542818c2c38.jpg

• Like 4

Lol. Tom you may not have noticed, but the top photo is neither underwear or bathing suit, but rather a (very wet and clingy) dress. But who's quibbling!

Arturo, this is a shot of Sophia. Sophia! Swimsuit, underwear, I don't care.As long as something is wet and clinging to her body, it makes me very, very happy.

• Like 1

Cecil B. DeMille was known for his bathtub scenes (no, not of taking a bath himself, silly, but of his leading ladies). Here's the most "exotic" bath of them all, Claudette Colbert as Queen Poppea bathing in a s s e s's milk in The Sign of the Cross.

171fe50751a96618244f822d8f938898.jpg

colb.jpg

Err, is it my imagination but am I seeing a little something extra from Claudette here? (For those who like to keep abreast of these things).

• Like 4

This was actually a costume test from the early, scrapped version of CLEOPATRA. When the film resumed with a new director, script, Caesar, Marc Anthony (most importantly), etc., all the early costumes were discarded, and a new designer designed a new wardrobe for Liz.

What? WHAT?

You mean they could have used that dress on Liz for Cleo and didn't!?! The fools, the FOOLS! No wonder that film lost money.

Oh, please - you'll have to do better than that! ;)

f4bcc5aeb8c09ab728024864115e26c5.jpg

"Oh, yeh? Am I good enough for you, sister? If not, take a hike!"

• Like 5

I'm sure the pre-codes are full of stars in bathtubs.  Here's Barbara Stanwyck in "Ladies of Leisure":

n1rvro.jpg

• Like 1

A true pre-coder: Safe in Hell, with Dorothy Mackaill.

safe_in_hell_1931_dorothymackaill_leg_ch

dorothy-mackaill-safe-in-hell.jpg

• Like 1

Lol. Tom, I may be wrong, but I think the middle was from BUTTERFIELD 8. But who's quibbling!

Yeh, Arturo, you're probably right. I've never seen Butterfield 8 (well, okay, parts of it only).

• Like 1

Clark Gable didn't have a fantastic body, but he had that "certain something" that made female movie audiences look forward to this scene with anticipation.  Okay, he's not in his underwear, but we have to take what we can get:

1176adi.jpg

• Like 2

Robby Benson fans who want to see him out of his underwear can try RUNNING BRAVE (not a bad movie), where he and Jeff McCracken have an altercation in the shower.

Clark Gable didn't have a fantastic body, but he had that "certain something" that made female movie audiences look forward to this scene with anticipation.  Okay, he's not in his underwear, but we have to take what we can get:

1176adi.jpg

When Clark Gable took  his shirt off and he was not wearing an undershirt, men stopped wearing undershirts.

That was - until Marlon Brando came along.

Then men started wearing undershirts again.

I'm sure the pre-codes are full of stars in bathtubs.  Here's Barbara Stanwyck in "Ladies of Leisure":

n1rvro.jpg

i just watched that over the wknd...........

• Like 3

382443430_152a61caf8.jpg

THANKS! :D

Unfortunately, it isn't, lol. It's not big enough, maybe 7"x9". More importantly, the shots, all black and white, are on course paper, not at all glossy. But I'm sure if I put it on the coffee table, it will get leafed through by just about everybody.

Movie Stars in Bathtubs sounds like a book for a small coffee table then.

• Like 1