Sign in to follow this  
Debra Johnson

Trying to find a Robert Young film

13 posts in this topic

It played on TCM about 3 yrs ago one Sunday afternoon. The movie is circa about 1935-40. Can't recall the name the only scene I recall they are at a country house in the drawing room.  One girl is playing piano.  Robert Young, the girl and another guy grew up together.  The girl is in love w/one but somehow winds up married to the other.  It is not "The Right To Romance".

Rich Man, Poor Girl just aired recently on TCM, at least it did in Canada.

I don't think it is what Debra is trying to remember.

Okay. Maybe someone else knows what she's thinking of...

Okay. Maybe someone else knows what she's thinking of...

I'm a big fan of Robert young, but I have not seen all of his films yet.

:)

• Like 1

Do you remember if it was a comedy or a drama? If it was a drama, it could possibly be TODAY WE LIVE (1933).

• Like 1

I've got Remember? (1939) in my mind  -  Robert Taylor, Greer Garson, and Lew Ayres

• Like 1

Just from looking at IMDB, might it be The Toy Wife (1938)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030887/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

No I've seen The Toy Wife LOVED it!!   I didn't realize Robert was in that.  That leading lady just died recently (within the last 2-3 yrs I think) she was like almost 100 yrs old!  About to research Rich Man Poor Girl.  The movie was black and white.  I just recall the scene where they're in a day room, there's a garden outside and this girl is playing a piano while they're all gathered in the room,

After researching (this is driving me crazy lately) I'm inclined to believe perhaps instead of Robert Young it COULD have been another actor and the movie COULD have been "Forsaking All Others".  Has anyone seen this movie?  Is there a scene in it similar to the one I've described?

After researching (this is driving me crazy lately) I'm inclined to believe perhaps instead of Robert Young it COULD have been another actor and the movie COULD have been "Forsaking All Others".  Has anyone seen this movie?  Is there a scene in it similar to the one I've described?

That would be either Clark Gable or Robert Montgomery.

Reading some of your posts-- I thought maybe you were combining movies. The garden scenes are in ADVENTURE IN BALTIMORE. And there are music scenes with them at the piano. But the love story is between Shirley Temple (as Young's daughter) and John Agar.

• Like 1

That would be either Clark Gable or Robert Montgomery.

Reading some of your posts-- I thought maybe you were combining movies. The garden scenes are in ADVENTURE IN BALTIMORE. And there are music scenes with them at the piano. But the love story is between Shirley Temple (as Young's daughter) and John Agar.

I'm inclined to agree with you because I have seen both films you mention.

I've combined movies in my mind before

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree with you because I have seen both films you mention.

I've combined movies in my mind before

But ADVENTURE IN BALTIMORE was produced in 1949. It's a period piece set at the turn of the century.