Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

MEMORIAL DAY

137 posts in this topic

As I have mentioned before, Canada has only one day of the year to honour vets of any war - November 11th-

Whether you have died in battle, or die later in life, Canadians have one day of the year.

It is unfortunate that Memorial Day has become a bit of a weekeed event for BBQs only in terms of what is advertised.

I have had ONE family member die in battle.

He was Canadian (Mom's side Canadian, Dad's side American).

My great- great uncle died in WWI. His remains have never been recovered. He is the poppies that grow in Flanders Fields.

• Like 3

My father was a Master Sergeant in the US Army during World War II. On Memorial Day the cemetery gives us a free flag for his grave site.

But my father earned that flag at the Normandy Invasion, The Liberation of Paris, and the Battle of the Bulge.

After the Battle of the Bulge he volunteered for Okinawa.

I also had two great uncles who fought in World War 1. One survived but the other one did not return home; he was only 19.

But the veteran that I enjoyed listening to the most was a next door neighbor who had gone up San Juan Hill with Teddy Roosevelt.

When I was little I don't know if I believed his stories, until years later it came out in the Sunday supplement newspaper that he was in this special volunteer regiment in the Spanish-American War.

Listening to that senior citizen veteran was the most "hands-on" and best lesson in American History I ever had.

• Like 2

Today, May 21 is Armed Forces Day in the US.  Canadian Forces Day is first Sunday in June.

• Like 1

Today, May 21 is Armed Forces Day in the US.  Canadian Forces Day is first Sunday in June.

Thanks, Cid.

I know about Canadian Forces Day.

Take care.

Jake, when people like you wrap yourself in the flag to make yourself feel so righteous, it disgusts me. False patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

• Like 2

e04f59910c348fecfc581790817ee242.jpga9abada2dfe54faa57caf63d703cbe19.jpg0e2cb45bd5421668c76e991906651b9e.jpg5fc74636060ff4a27e262c46018fe888.jpga02af2a41d68cd4557b08d10a606d774.jpg

the american soldier, champions of freedom! 

when the forces of evil pick a fight, we give it to 'um!

Jake, when people like you wrap yourself in the flag to make yourself feel so righteous, it disgusts me. False patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Ooh, that's rather harsh. Besides, isn't being disgusted a facet of righteousness? Pointing fingers can be revealing.

It's Memorial Day time, after all.

Happy Memorial Day, mrroberts ... and to all.

l.

--

Ooh, that's rather harsh. Besides, isn't being disgusted a facet of righteousness? Pointing fingers can be revealing.

It's Memorial Day time, after all.

Happy Memorial Day, mrroberts ... and to all.

l.

--

Why do I hear Henry Fonda talk when you say this, Mr. Roberts? 

Although the words remind me more of Kirk Douglas in Paths of Glory. I love that movie.

a9abada2dfe54faa57caf63d703cbe19.jpg

Hi little girl. In order to save you, I'm going to have to waste you.

It's an American thing.

8848498314_188cb8e5c5_z.jpg16161660_6ee8c9f084_z.jpg?zz=116161916_f9217a3dc7_z.jpg?zz=1cd967f9651cff537fc6adae8f8444029.jpgb89b392654e3b11f7bce84b7bf7bba0d.jpg5164214563_571d711051_z.jpg16161934_21d3040df1_z.jpg?zz=12045567246_c7aefa5c80_z.jpgArlington National Cemetary8866360672_a890f094e5_z.jpgBiloxi MS VA Memorial Cemetary

• Like 2

I pledge allegiance to the flag

of the united states of america

and to the republic for which it stands

one nation under God, indivisible, with

liberty and justice for all...

• Like 2