Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

MEMORIAL DAY

137 posts in this topic

Jake, when people like you wrap yourself in the flag to make yourself feel so righteous, it disgusts me. False patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Especially for those who avoided serving in combat, hazardous duty or hardship tours.

cd967f9651cff537fc6adae8f8444029.jpgArlington National CemetaryBiloxi MS VA Memorial Cemetary

In reality, it is the politician, the lawyer, the judge, the press, the protestor, the voter and others who have given us these rights.

It was the politicans who decided when and where the "soldier" would serve.

Not to diminish the debt we owe those who died in service to our country.

• Like 1

In reality, it is the politician, the lawyer, the judge, the press, the protestor, the voter and others who have given us these rights.

As an oath every soldier takes states..

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." 

that is exactly what you are doing. 

diminishing that debt.

you laughingly draw a distinction between politicians and lawyers. they are in most cases one and the same.

deplorable americans have long been aware of that.

if a terrorist bomb went off in the capital, most of them would do the 100 yard dash in under ten seconds. :lol:

As an oath every soldier takes states..

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." 

Your point?

I have taken the oath.

Your point?

I have taken the oath.

The point is a soldier has to do his duty, can't pick and choose what war to fight in, the politics that got us there to begin with, etc.  Was reaffirming you point to Jake.  Our Constitution / Republic / Our way of life must be protected and those who died fighting in the past should NEVER be forgotten.

I know you have served, my post was not to diminished what you personally have gave to our country.  Since the type was already in bold, couldn't highlight the word Constitution.

• Like 1

I never "diminish" that debt.  but I take exception to the notion that EVERY soldier, especially in the last couple of decades, that died in some combat situation did so in service TO our country.  AND especially in conflicts in which our country, constitution and homeland WASN'T faced with any real threat.  Most of the Viet Nam vets I know HATE it when someone finds out they were in 'Nam and they sappily say, "Thank you for your service", As if their being in 'Nam protected THEM from any imminent danger.

Sepiatone

The point is a soldier has to do his duty, can't pick and choose what war to fight in, the politics that got us there to begin with, etc.  Was reaffirming you point to Jake.  Our Constitution / Republic / Our way of life must be protected and those who died fighting in the past should NEVER be forgotten.

I know you have served, my post was not to diminished what you personally have gave to our country.  Since the type was already in bold, couldn't highlight the word Constitution.

OK, now I understand.

I never "diminish" that debt.  but I take exception to the notion that EVERY soldier, especially in the last couple of decades, that died in some combat situation did so in service TO our country.  AND especially in conflicts in which our country, constitution and homeland WASN'T faced with any real threat.  Most of the Viet Nam vets I know HATE it when someone finds out they were in 'Nam and they sappily say, "Thank you for your service", As if their being in 'Nam protected THEM from any imminent danger.

Sepiatone

The other Vietnam vets I know appreciate when someone thanks us for our service.  I do not know of any vet who resents being thanked for his service.  I feel sorry for the ones you know if they cannot accept appreication for their service.  Appreciation of service has nothing to do with supporting the conflicts or the reasons US became engaged in them.

I suppose you would rule out appreciation for any military personnel who served in peacetime?

Incidentally, I appreciate John Kerry's service in Vietnam and his service in trying to end the war as part of VVAW.

As I said earlier the only time our "homeland" was actually in "imminent danger" was the War of 1812.  WW II was a threat to Europe and Asia, not the US.

And EVERY military person who died in combat absolutedly did so in service TO our country.  They did not decide to go there to die.  Your country sent them.  Not supporting the my country right or wrong position, just stating facts.

• Like 3