Yes, their lives were "secret", but there were always pictures:

ROCK HUDSON AND MARC CHRISTIAN -

a0b800622bdf320fca254a63329ff5f0.jpg

• Like 2

Two very accomplished and very beautiful people:

ANTHONY PERKINS AND GROVER DALE -

ead87addc3ab7461513767869ad84c04.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting topic. I assume you will be posting about Cary Grant & Randolph Scott, also..?

• Like 1

Interesting topic. I assume you will be posting about Cary Grant & Randolph Scott, also..?

Yes, Jarrod, there is quite a list.

• Like 1

Great photos, ray. I think you could also cover female movie stars and their girlfriends. Unless you plan to let someone else make a separate thread about that.

• Like 1

Great photos, ray. I think you could also cover female movie stars and their girlfriends. Unless you plan to let someone else make a separate thread about that.

Yes, somebody else could do that one.

Ray,

What do you think about people who don't agree Tyrone Power and Cesar Romero were lovers..? I did some checking on this yesterday after you posted the picture of them, but it was never confirmed anywhere. They were in photos together because they worked at the same studio, and were both cast in CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE. But isn't a stretch to say they were a couple and to "out" them..?

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-26%2Bat%2B1.48.3

Even if you had posted a photo of Tyrone Power and Michael Rennie, whom I've wondered about, I'd still have to say the same thing-- there is really no confirmation about any of Tyrone Power's male lovers. It's all speculation.

• Like 1

Ray,

What do you think about people who don't agree Tyrone Power and Cesar Romero were lovers..? I did some checking on this yesterday after you posted the picture of them, but it was never confirmed anywhere. They were in photos together because they worked at the same studio, and were both cast in CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE. But isn't a stretch to say they were a couple and to "out" them..?

Jarrod -

I am trying so very hard to be accurate with this thread.

I read a Boze Hadleigh interview with Cesar Romero in which Mr. Romero discussed his love affair with Tyrone Power.

It was contained in the book of interviews, "Hollywood Gays" by Mr. Hadleigh.

Mr. Romero said that his lover, Tyrone Power, wanted him to become interested in women and even date women and marry a woman.

Tyrone Power wanted Mr. Romero to follow/embrace his example.

But Mr. Romero confessed that he was too GAY to ever become interested in a woman.

It's a very revealing interview.

So much of gay Hollywood is lost, because gay Hollywood was underground for decades.

William J. Mann made a brave attempt to unearth a lot of it in his fascinating book,"Behind The Screen".

A book like Scotty Bowers' memoir, "Full Service", is actually able to lift the lid and let you peer into that gay underground.

Believe me, I am not "outing" anybody.

Ray,

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-26%2Bat%2B1.48.3

Even if you had posted a photo of Tyrone Power and Michael Rennie, whom I've wondered about, I'd still have to say the same thing-- there is really no confirmation about any of Tyrone Power's male lovers. It's all speculation.

Jarrod -

In Farley Granger's autobiography, "Include Me Out", he discusses a visit to the home of Tyrone Power and his then-wife, Linda Christian.

Ms. Christian asked him if he was interested in her - or her husband.

Farley Granger decided to opt out of both choices. 

I feel so badly that you'd think me this careless.

Jarrod -

In Farley Granger's autobiography, "Include Me Out", he discusses a visit to the home of Tyrone Power and his then-wife, Linda Christian.

Ms. Christian asked him if he was interested in her - or her husband.

Farley Granger decided to opt out of both choices. 

I feel so badly that you'd think me this careless.

Ray,

I am not saying you are being careless. But I don't think people are going to believe a lot of it. In the case of Granger and Calhoun, they were very public and out of the closet together-- and nobody could really dispute them being a couple. But when it comes to someone like Ty Power and Cesar Romero, it is all just rumor and speculation. If Linda Christian did proposition Granger, that doesn't exactly connect her husband romantically to Romero.

When CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE aired two different times on TCM-- we had one introduction by Robert Osborne that said Power & Romero were good buddies. And on another occasion when Ben Mankiewicz introduced the same film, he said Ty was having a torrid affair with Lana Turner during production and he flew her down to Mexico to keep him company one weekend. So neither one of those TCM host comments corroborates that Power & Romero were lovers. 

Regarding Hadleigh-- a lot of his stuff has been widely refuted as fictional/made up to sell a book about dead people he was trying to "out." As I said, yesterday after seeing the picture you posted, I did some research on Romero and Power. Romero never said they were lovers. What he supposedly said was that Ty was a very attractive man, and a lot of men and women in Hollywood at the time would have probably said the same thing.

Well, if you had actually read Boze Hadleigh's interview with Cesar Romero, you would feel differently about his affair with Tyrone Power.

I am quite willing to believe Boze Hadleigh.

HE INTERVIEWED THE MAN!

But, if you don't want to believe Mr. Hadleigh, then, of course, you can go right ahead.

I have no objection.

As for Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz, they are hardly pro-gay.

In discussing the kiss in "Deathtrap", Robert Osborne said that the actors had to get "drunk" in order to film the scene.

If you knew anything about Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve and their careers, you would know that Osborne's outrageous statement was a lot of nonsense.

Nothing of a gay nature ever crosses their lips.

They are essentially anti-gay.

Honestly, I don't believe very much of Hadleigh's stuff. I think it's like tabloid writing. He claims he interviewed various people, but a lot of it seems invented-- gossip almost. I'm not saying he's entirely fictional in his accounts, but I do think he embellishes considerably.

As for his interview of Romero-- where is the exact quote that Romero says he and Power were lovers? All the research I've done about this online in the past day indicates there was no such statement. So even if Hadleigh did actually interview Romero, there does not seem to be any sort of direct quote anywhere that has Romero confessing about a sexual relationship with Power. 

I think Romero found Power attractive, and they were close friends. But that does not necessarily make them lovers.

Another reason I am disinclined to believe this particular story is because Zanuck terminated William Eythe's contract when he learned Eythe was romantically involved with Lon McCallister. I am sure that Zanuck would have terminated Romero's contract as well, if there was something going on between Romero and Power. Zanuck was broadminded but didn't like that type of publicity to get in the way of selling movies. 

As for Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz, I am not sure we can infer our current TCM hosts are anti-gay. If Power and Lana Turner were having an affair at the time CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE was made and that is public knowledge, Ben probably thought viewers would find it interesting. I sincerely doubt it was said on-air to purposely make Power seem more heterosexual. Lana did say Ty was her greatest love, so they probably had a torrid romance. 

I didn't see the on-air commentary about the Reeve-Caine movie so I cannot address it.

Jarrod -

It's a very long interview, and I am not about to quote from it.

But Cesar Romero talks honestly about his love affair with Tyrone Power.

Cesar Romero was gay - and Tyrone Power was bisexual - and they were both extremely attractive men.

Hadleigh also talks about the both of them being "outed" as lovers in newspaper articles in Argentina and Mexico during the time they were making "Captain From Castile".

During the making of the film, they shared a house together.

Cesar Romero says that he is and will always be devoted to Tryone Power and that he understood Tyrone Power's need to present a heterosexual image to the world.

Cesar Romero was not interested in presenting such an image.

But why go on?

You have obviously chosen not to believe Hadleigh or Romero.

And that's okay with me!

You have obviously chosen not to believe Hadleigh or Romero.

And that's okay with me!

Yeah, I'm sorry ray-- but while I wish I could believe it, I just don't happen to think this particular story is true. The example of Calhoun & Granger is certainly legitimate. And likewise, if you go to the official Dirk Bogarde website you will see that his estate has published many photos of Dirk and his longtime companion. So these are credible sources-- a published autobiography by an actor who was out of the closet (Granger's book) and an official website (Bogarde's estate).

But Hadleigh is not considered a credible writer by many. Seeing a photo of two men who happened to be friends and worked on the same movie, that itself does not make them lovers.

Here is what I found:

In the book 'Hollywood Gays' (1996) by Boze Hadleigh, the author compiled a series of interviews with aging Hollywood players who were rumored to be gay or bisexual. Cesar Romero was interviewed several times and supposedly dished quite freely about Tyrone Power (but never about their life together). 

Romero gave insightful information about maneuvering the issue of sexual identity around early Hollywood politics in the 40's and 50's, being homosexual in Hispanic culture, and why he never felt the the need to hide behind a wife. However, the fact that there were serious veracity issues surrounding the author's interviews cannot be ignored.

http://illkeepyouposted.typepad.com/ill_keep_you_posted/2012/06/cesar-romero-tall-dark-handsome-and-gay-two.html

• Like 1