4 posts in this topic

"...Cast Out This Wicked Dream Which Has Seized My Heart..."

Here is a video tribute to a few of our favorite movies that depict the seedy, spooky side of Hollywood.

These are some of the films that served as inspiration for our new film Golden Vanity -goldenvanitymovie.com - a one-woman feature about our very own over-the-hill, acid-tongued starlet Mabel Montgomery-Mayflower.

Can you spot all the movies in the video?

What are your favorites?

What other movies would you consider part of the 'Hollywood Gothic' tradition?
  • Like 1

Personally I find Tinseltown gothic style renderings nothing to laugh about or comedic.

Now Grand Guignol is a whole different thing.

Too bad you didn't go to Paris instead for your inspiration and screenplay.

Personally I find Tinseltown gothic style renderings nothing to laugh about or comedic.

Now Grand Guignol is a whole different thing.

Too bad you didn't go to Paris instead for your inspiration and screenplay.

Sorry you feel that way CaveGirl, I believe that the comedy within the Hollywood Gothic is actually very humanist and acknowledging the absurdity and tragedy of the extremes that the town pushes people to. The last thing we have any intention of is laughing at our character, we care for her predicament (and that of so many women in Hollywood under the studio system) very deeply. 

I do agree that the Grand Guignol is a wonderful universe and should be explored further on film though!

Sorry you feel that way CaveGirl, I believe that the comedy within the Hollywood Gothic is actually very humanist and acknowledging the absurdity and tragedy of the extremes that the town pushes people to. The last thing we have any intention of is laughing at our character, we care for her predicament (and that of so many women in Hollywood under the studio system) very deeply. 

I do agree that the Grand Guignol is a wonderful universe and should be explored further on film though!

I read that Corey Feldman feels the same way about the vagaries of the Hollywood system.

And I'm sure he too will be making a movie about it if possible.