Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Gene Hackman as SOTM September 2016

29 posts in this topic

Barton Keyes has told me that he heard our next Star of the Month on TCM will be someone who made classic films in the 70s and 80s. If true, the last time we had such a 'modern' star honored with a month-long tribute was Robert Redford in January 2015.

(I will reveal who it is when the September schedule is officially available online.)

Man - Robert Duvall, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman

Woman - Jane Fonda...and I can't think of another with enough films from that era to make a month's schedule.

• Like 1

Woman - Jane Fonda...and I can't think of another with enough films from that era to make a month's schedule.

Good guesses. :)

The official schedule information for September has still not been made available by TCM. But we do know Hackman is the honoree, since it had been announced on the Backlot webpage.

As soon as we find out which titles have been selected, I will post them into this thread.

The schedule was made available today. Here is what we have for Gene Hackman fans:

Friday September 2, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-16%2Bat%2B6.33.4

Friday September 9, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-16%2Bat%2B6.38.2

Friday September 16, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-16%2Bat%2B6.40.0

Friday September 23, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-16%2Bat%2B6.40.4

Friday September 30, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-16%2Bat%2B6.41.1

The schedule was made available today. Here is what we have for Gene Hackman fans:

Friday September 9, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-16%2Bat%2B6.38.2

I believe that TCM will be airing an additional Hackman film this night, at 2:00AM following YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. That title is ALL NIGHT LONG (1981), a rarely screened dramedy featuring Hackman and Barbra Streisand. Currently TCM has an unrelated 1963 film of the same name listed on the schedule, but I'm guessing that's just a mix-up.

• Like 1

I believe that TCM will be airing an additional Hackman film this night, at 2:00AM following YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. That title is ALL NIGHT LONG (1981), a rarely screened dramedy featuring Hackman and Barbra Streisand. Currently TCM has an unrelated 1963 film of the same name listed on the schedule, but I'm guessing that's just a mix-up.

Yes, I wondered about that...it's not customary for TCM to only air three films on an evening dedicated to a Star of the Month. It must be a mix-up and the 1981 title of the same name will be added later.

I will fix my post when TCM fixes the schedule and I can get a new, more accurate screen shot.

I asked TCM online regarding the All Night Long movie choice, and someone from TCM replied back to saying they have passed my message to the programmers so will see.

• Like 1

I asked TCM online regarding the All Night Long movie choice, and someone from TCM replied back to saying they have passed my message to the programmers so will see.

Very good. Thanks for doing that..!

How about Barbra Streisand, Dame Julie Andrews, Geraldine Page, Diane Keaton, Jeanne Moreau, Faye Dunaway, Vanessa Redgrave, Glenda Jackson, Liv Ullmann, Bibi Andersson, Julie Christie, Dame Maggie Smith, Catherine Deneuve, Anne Bancroft, Charlotte Rampling and Jill Clayburgh? Maybe Marsha Mason and Ellen Burstyn, too.

• Like 1

Worth mentioning -- I had a thorough look at the October schedule today, and noticed that TCM has scheduled two more Gene Hackman films on the morning of October 1 -- FIRST TO FIGHT (1967) and COMPANY BUSINESS (1991).

• Like 1

Worth mentioning -- I had a thorough look at the October schedule today, and noticed that TCM has scheduled two more Gene Hackman films on the morning of October 1 -- FIRST TO FIGHT (1967) and COMPANY BUSINESS (1991).

Good deal. Thanks for letting us know..!

I noticed they haven't changed it, so it looks like we're still going to have the other film with the same title (without Hackman in it).

Yes I saw that All Night Long is linked to the next movie, Jazz themed I think. So probably the title was just coincidental.

All Night Long dropped for Oh God! (1977)

Thanks for letting us know. So that still means only three Gene Hackman films on the 9th.

Yes and I think Company Business (1991) has been dropped for Jamaica Inn (1939) on the 1st of October. First to Fight (1967) is still scheduled though.

• Like 1

Yes and I think Company Business (1991) has been dropped for Jamaica Inn (1939) on the 1st of October. First to Fight (1967) is still scheduled though.

Again, thanks for the updates. 

Here is a link to Robert Osborne's article on Gene Hackman, which was originally published in the September 2016 issue of Now Playing: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1252781%7C0/Robert-Osborne-on-Gene-Hackman.html. I second Osborne's recommendation of two Hackman films not included in TCM's tribute -- POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE (1990) and NO WAY OUT (1987).

Still no official word on when Osborne will be back on-air, but a friend of mine who works as a segment producer at TCM informed me recently that it's definitely a matter of when he returns rather than if. He's receiving treatment for an ongoing illness which has sidelined him since April, but Osborne is still busy writing for TCM, both his monthly column in Now Playing and contributing to the wraparounds for each of his guest hosts to date -- Madeleine Stowe, Dave Karger and Michael Feinstein. So in a way we're still hearing Osborne's 'voice' despite his leave of absence. What's more is that, by all accounts, Osborne is fully intending to be well enough to host the TCM Cruise in November.

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for this: Robert Duvall has narrated a newly produced TCM tribute to his friend Gene Hackman. It's available now to TCM Backlot members and will premiere on-air on September 1, with several repeats thereafter throughout the month.

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for this: Robert Duvall has narrated a newly produced TCM tribute to his friend Gene Hackman. It's available now to TCM Backlot members and will premiere on-air on September 1, with several repeats thereafter throughout the month.

Thanks Barton. Did you decide to go ahead and subscribe to the Backlot? Or is there a way to see these clips without joining?

Thanks Barton. Did you decide to go ahead and subscribe to the Backlot? Or is there a way to see these clips without joining?

Unfortunately, Backlot membership is not currently open to Canadians. I have a couple of American friends who have joined though, and they keep me somewhat abreast of what's going on over there. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Backlot membership is not currently open to Canadians. I have a couple of American friends who have joined though, and they keep me somewhat abreast of what's going on over there. 

That's right, I forgot there are contest restrictions for those who live outside the U.S.