Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Recommended books

10 posts in this topic

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-03%2Bat%2B2.12.4

In 2004, John Fraser published his autobiography Close Up where he was very candid about his relationships in the entertainment industry.

Has anyone read it..?

• Like 1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-03%2Bat%2B2.12.4

In 2004, John Fraser published his autobiography Close Up where he was very candid about his relationships in the entertainment industry.

Has anyone read it..?

I remember him as "a great beauty".

He and Peter Finch were a terrific combo in "The Trials Of Oscar Wilde", which I remember as "The Green Carnation" -

the-trials-of-oscar-wilde.jpg

• Like 1

I remember him as "a great beauty".

He and Peter Finch were a terrific combo in "The Trials Of Oscar Wilde", which I remember as "The Green Carnation" -

Supposedly he wowed audiences in a stage version of 'The Picture of Dorian Gray.' He seems like he would fit the lead role perfectly.

His book includes his observations about Laurence Harvey, Dirk Bogarde and other big names in the British film industry.

• Like 1

Supposedly he wowed audiences in a stage version of 'The Picture of Dorian Gray.' He seems like he would fit the lead role perfectly.

His book includes his observations about Laurence Harvey, Dirk Bogarde and other big names in the British film industry.

John Fraser was also very effective in Roman Polanski's "Repulsion", in which he starred opposite Catherine Deneuve.

Repulsion-1965-Catherine-Deneuve-Roman-P

• Like 2

John Fraser was also very effective in Roman Polanski's "Repulsion", in which he starred opposite Catherine Deneuve.

It's been years since I watched REPULSION (had to see it in film school and that was quite the experience!)...Fraser is also in an episode of the Patrick McGoohan series Secret Agent (a.k.a. Danger Man).

• Like 1

19_farley-thumb.jpg

A book worth checking out.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-06%2Bat%2B3.36.5

"Include Me Out" is a very interesting read - Farley Granger was very honest about the events of his life - especially, of course, his sexual persuasion.

He has survived the test of time - he is still a very engaging actor.

But, one thing I do not understand, why was it necessary to give up his film career and come to New York to study acting?

Couldn't he have studied acting closer to his home base, like with actor/teacher Jeff Corey?

He should not have thrown his film stardom out the window.

"Include Me Out" is a very interesting read - Farley Granger was very honest about the events of his life - especially, of course, his sexual persuasion.

He has survived the test of time - he is still a very engaging actor.

But, one thing I do not understand, why was it necessary to give up his film career and come to New York to study acting?

Couldn't he have studied acting closer to his home base, like with actor/teacher Jeff Corey?

He should not have thrown his film stardom out the window.

I think he was tired of the politics of Hollywood. Plus, his contract with Goldwyn had ended and he probably felt he needed to reinvent himself. In the early to mid-50s, method acting was all the rage-- and so people like him and Shelley Winters (his girlfriend at the time) went east to study the method. Monroe would do that a few years later, too. 

And maybe he was happier with the life he found on the east coast. But he did go to Italy for awhile and make giallo films in the early 70s. So he didn't limit himself to east coast opportunities.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading Ray Stricklyn's autobiography, "Angels and Demons".

Ray Stricklyn was on the brink of stardom, but he didn't quite achieve that stardom.

Nevertheless, he had a very adventurous journey throughout the movies and, in the process, met and knew a lot of famous people.

He also made a lot of movies and appeared in a lot of television.

Shortly after the publication of "Angels and Demons", he sadly died.

But I am so glad that he had the time to take us on his journey to and from stardom.

5193K04K8NL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading Ray Stricklyn's autobiography, "Angels and Demons".

Sounds quite interesting, Ray. I can't say I know much about him, his career or his life. 

I was hoping this thread would become a handy reference about books that readers would find enlightening and entertaining. Thanks for adding the above title to the discussion.

• Like 1