Sign in to follow this  
edgeciff

FRANK CAPRA COLLECTION 12/5

7 posts in this topic

Sony has just announced THE PREMIERE FRANK CAPRA COLLECTION. This is a six disc DVD set that includes MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT and AMERICAN MADNESS. Sony promised each film will be digitally remasters. Each film will have commentary tracks. A bonus disc of FRANK CAPRA AMERICAN DREAM documentary and Frank Capra Remembers feature. Also included is 96 page collectible scrapbook. SRP is $59.95. I only own DEEDS but this is a nice package of films to have especially since each film will be remastered.

Edge, thanks for this great news! I had asked in another thread if anyone knew of what became of this promised set. Since it was advertised in the Cary Grant set done by Columbia, I was anticipating its arrival. Thanks so much for filling us in. I'm gonna check deepdiscountdvd right now to see what kind of a price they're offering it at.

Still, instead of giving us the essential Capra films that would fill out the balance of the director's glory years at Columbia -- LADY FOR A DAY, AMERICAN MADNESS, PLATINUM BLONDE, THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN, BROADWAY BILL -- the studio just repackages what's already out there. Typical of Columbia, which is run by as uselss a bunch of executives as Paramount's HV division.

As for MEET JOHN DOE, the film's in the public domain, so it's not in Warner Bros. financial interest to restore and release it, though that doesn't mean they won't get around to it someday.

Just don't hold your breath.

At least Sony is promising new masters for each of the films in the Capra set plus lots of extras. One would only hope that a second Capra volume is forthcoming. BTW didn't Paramount release both version of BROADWAY BILL on DVD?

Yes, "Broadway Bill" was released, as was "Platinum Blonde" and "Lady For a Day," although I think "Lady" has since been taken out of print.

I'm grateful for this set because as you stated Edge, the films will be remastered. Also, some of the prices for the previous releases of these films were a little high, and I had to think twice about buying some of them, and most I didn't buy at all. I was VERY disappointed in the print of "You Can't Take It With You," arguably his best movie, and the retail price was something like $30. On deepdiscount it was $22 and change, and even that's a lot for a lousy looking print.

Moviejoe, Sony used to be notorious about overpricing their classics. Although many titles in the Sony catalogue have been repriced, still, there are many Sony classics that need to be repriced possibly as low as $14.95. In addition, there are still many titles that Columbia has yet to release. I for one would like to see the Ginger Rogers film TIGHT SPOT which has just been released on DVD in Europe as part of a Rogers collection. Also, Sony will finally be releasing HOLIDAY as a single DVD release which was formerly available only as part of a box set of Grant films.