Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,680 posts in this topic

I'd like to add a fresh thread to maybe keep things going. Here are some clues to the identity of a classic actor/actress/director/whatever:

Do you know me?

I was born Down South in the year of the first recorded successful swim of the English Channel.

I started out on the stage, played Shakespeare in the Midwest and appeared on Broadway. I was not exactly a "starlet" when I made my first film.

I appeared in films with actors as diverse as John Barrymore, Gary Cooper, Gene Tierney, Turhan Bey, Franklin Pagnborn and Alfalfa. I did more than one picture with each of Barrymore and Pangborn. I was in a film with a very popular actor who had a career as long as mine, and twenty years later made a film with his offspring, long before he did. I was in several films with a journeyman character actor, with whom I costarred as a supporting player years later in another medium. We were a big hit, bigger than we had ever been in the movies. Who am I?

Do you know me?

They say in real life I'm a pussycat, but you'd never know it from the parts I've played.

In my first movie, I spread a lot more than just ill will.

I'm related by marriage to one of the world's great beauties.

When I won an Oscar, I showed my joy like no one else ever had.

Who am I?

OK everybody - so you've left you thinking caps on top of the fridge again and can't think up any riddles. Here's another one for you to work on:

Do you know me?

I've been working in films since I was younger than 10 years old, but another family member is the more well-known for film work.

We appeared together in one movie about a hero, playing family members.

As a youngster, I spent a lot of screen time with a dog.

I'm best known now for my TV work. I appeared in two successful series, playing teens, although I was a long way away from high school by the second one.

In these series, I shared screen time with a famous maid, a bohemian, a deep thinker, a future legislator, and a girl with two unusual names.

I spent many years on the production side, but still appear on the screen from time to time. One film I was in featured two very different Oscar winners, one of whom won for that film.

I'm still working in the arts, but not much as a performer.

Who am I?

> I know this ain't right, but Jon Provost sure fits a

> lot of those clues.

No, not Provost. The dog in question has slipped into obscurity by now.

No, and also no to the last two.

Hints:

I danced the Watusi more than once on the California beach in the 1960s, along with some very famous beachgoers.

My sidekick on my most successful TV show went on to enduring fame of his own, playing essentially the same character, but in a more exotic setting.

(And I haven't quite disappeared from public view as completely as those mentioned.)

Oh dear oh dear. No, no, no. I feel bad for this person, whom I like very much. I'm sure you all know him (see, there's a clue), you're just not putting him into your considerations.

Let's see . . . .

My most famous TV co-star used to call me "Good Buddy." In his very successful series, he was also called "Buddy" by his much larger co-star, but with a different adjective. Many years after our series together was over, we did two sequels. One had a title which was a parody of the title of a well-known western. That title involved decapitation. I hope you remember me. After all, I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Judith, I'm so sorry that I didn't post one after answering the Jack Palance question. I've only been on for short periods of time lately because I'm so busy right now. I hadn't even checked back until now to see if my answer was correct. Anyway, carry on!

Sandy K

Sandy, that's fine with me. I've got a few more to use.

Your answer was correct - good work!

Have you seen the current quiz? Everyone is so close, but no cigar yet. Any guesses?

> Dwayne Hickman?

>

> vallo

Hooray!!! That's the one.

Do you want to do one? I have one more formulated, but if you've got one ready, please proceed.