jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,970 posts in this topic

Thanks.

?I was eight when my parents divorced and my father died. I knew I had to be strong-willed in order to get what I wanted out of this life and yet I wanted to drift into the movies I saw as a child. I felt my life being drawn to them. After high school, I tried to get into films, but though I couldn?t break down the doors then, I tried again after attending college. I eventually found work as a radio singer. When doors finally opened for me in the movies, I worked and worked hard. I made 19 uncredited appearances in films from 1932 to 1936. I advanced to leads in short ?b? comedies and supporting roles in lightweight comedies from 1937 to 1944. I finally got a chance to show myself off in a critically acclaimed film, that won an Oscar and in which the leading man won, also. From then on, I started getting offers for more substantial material. And, I won an Oscar soon after Hollywood?s real discovery of me. I enjoyed the limelight and the hard work that went with it. I hope that my dedication and love for movies came through in all I did. I also went into tv and had my own anthology show in the 1950s, and I had a successful tv show later on in my career. I was married several times, but as they are all exes now, I don?t talk about them. That?s something you just don?t do.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jan 5, 2011 8:35 PM

(Updated)

?Born in St. Joseph, Missouri, I was eight when my parents divorced and my father died. I knew I had to be strong-willed in order to get what I wanted out of this life and yet I wanted to drift into the movies I saw as a child. I felt my life being drawn to them. After high school, I tried to get into films, but though I couldn?t break down the doors then, I tried again after attending college. I eventually found work as a radio singer. When doors finally opened for me in the movies, I worked and worked hard. I made 19 uncredited appearances in films from 1932 to 1936. I advanced to leads in short ?b? comedies and supporting roles in lightweight comedies from 1937 to 1944. I finally got a chance to show myself off in 1945 in a critically acclaimed film, that won an Oscar and in which the leading man won, also. From then on, I started getting offers for more substantial material. And, I won an Oscar soon after Hollywood?s real discovery of me. I enjoyed the limelight and the hard work that went with it. I hope that my dedication and love for movies came through in all I did. I also went into tv and had my own anthology show in the 1950s, and I had a successful tv show later on in my career, that ran for practically all of the 1980s. I was married several times, but as they are all exes now, I don?t talk about them. That?s something you just don?t do.?

?Do you know me??

Yes. As Ms. Wyman is one of my favorite people and because yesterday would have been her birthday, I couldn't resist. I loved her on Falcon Crest. Your turn.

?I have said that I wanted to be forgotten, but I kept enough of an account of my life, my movies, and my love life (being married 5 times)in diaries, that in recent years at least two books have been written about me. I was in fact forgotten during the 80s and 90s, at least to the masses, despite the fact my name was dropped in a famous musical of the 1970s. The invention of TCM helped to make my name known to today?s generations. I was born in Oklahoma in 1905, unknowing that Hollywood would beckon me. I was a star before Bette and my fans loved to see me suffer, as I always did, decked out in gowns, and I worked with the best of leading men, like Warren William, George Brent, and Lyle Talbot, just to name a few. But when it was evident that Hollywood didn?t want me anymore I simply quit. I moved on and lived the rest of my life, knowing I enjoyed every minute of it. ?

?Do you know me??

Thanks Lana...

I was typecast as a society snob which my background lent credence to. I hope I'm anything but. Born in Boston in 1934, my American ancestors go back to the 1600's. I had showy roles in two well-received block busters which put me on the map. I also did episodic tv.

Now I write a column and have authored (and got published) some books of fiction.

Who am I?

I was originally a song and dance man in vaudeville. I was signed by MGM after a late-'30s lead role on Broadway. But it wasn't until after WW II service that I had starring roles, mostly with another studio, often in musicals. I had one Oscar nomination. From the late '50s, I appeared mostly on stage, nightclubs, and TV.

Edited by: finance on Jan 16, 2011 3:11 PM

Thanks...

I was born in San Francisco in 1925. During WWII I served in the Navy and also managed to attend the Actor's Studio. After that I was good enough at acting to appear in several plays on Broadway. I also played small to medium supporting roles in the movies. Two of the films were blockbuster and even tho the parts were smallish, the roles were pivotal to the movie. Later on television discovered me and I was cast in a tv series that's still considered a classic.

Who am I?

Thanks my friend.

This charactor actor survived the1906 San Francisco earthquake. He served in the Coast Guard during WW2 He was in at least 9 films directed by a very famous director. After the war he had a very successful career on the small screen lasting over 40 years. He usually played grumpy, somewhat mean types, although in real life he was known to be very kind and generous.Who was he?