Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,853 posts in this topic

Do you know me?

I was born in Great Britain, but not in England.

The year I was born, the opera "Carmen" premiered in Paris. I lived long enough to appear on various television anthologies during the Golden Age of Television.

I got my big break from George Bernard Shaw himself. When I moved into films, I worked with one of the world's great directors, more than once.

I am the cousin of character actor very similar to myself. His last name is my real last name, but I didn't use it. I am also related by marriage to an eccentric and very long-lived actress, who was a close friend of a popular actress both famous and notorious.

I usually played sweet and benign characters. Even when I was the bad guy, I did it sweetly. I won an Academy Award for playing one of the most well-known figures in the world.

Who am I?

Sounds to me like EDMUND GWENN (1875-1959).

He was born in Wales -- in the U.K. but not in England.

He won his Academy Award for playing Santa Claus -- er, Kris Kringle -- in MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947).

His real name was Edmund Kellaway. Sound like Cecil Kellaway? Sure enough. That was his cousin.

His sister-in-law was actress Estelle Winwood, who lived more than 100 years.

Did I guess right?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Message was edited by:

daneldorado

Okay, here's one you're sure to guess.

Do you know me? I am a two-time Academy Award winner, and in both my Oscar wins there is the same key phrase: Only two words, but they're key.

In one of my winning pictures, I speak the words, at the end. In the other, another actor speaks them.

Who am I?

Okay, here's one you're sure to guess.

Do you know me? I am a two-time Academy Award winning actress, and in both my Oscar wins there is the same key phrase: Only two words, but they're key.

In one of my winning pictures, I speak the words, at the end. In the other, another actor speaks them.

Who am I?

Good question, and not so easy.

I've figured out which actresses are two-time winners, but now to rehash all the dialog in their pictures . . . . .

Where are the real board experts today?

No, the answer isn't Jane Fonda. I would give you credit for that, if you came up with a "key" two-word phrase that was used in both her Oscar-winning pictures... but I don't think you can do that.

Remember, in one of the two films, the Oscar winner utters the two key words. In her other winning film, the words are uttered by another actor.

Nice tries, guys.

Dan N.

duffylab, You've got a winner... almost.

I'll give you credit, though. The other respondents were concentrating on Best Actress winners, but you realized I asked for a double Oscar winner, without naming the category.

Dianne Wiest won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in "Hannah and her Sisters" (1986). Her final words in that movie were: "I'm pregnant." I believe it was the last line in the movie, as well.

Then, in 1994, Wiest won Best Supporting Actress again, for "Bullets Over Broadway." In this film, she plays Helen Sinclair, a talented but egocentric stage actress working on a new play. Near the end of the movie, Cheech, the character played by Chazz Palminteri, tells the playwright he's got the perfect closing line for Helen. He tells the playwright (played by John Cusack): "Have her say: 'I'm pregnant.'"

Dan N.

Message was edited by:

daneldorado

I've been offline for a few days. This was a good one, and I would never have gotten it. I have never been able to get through much of "Bullets Over Broadway." It's that Tilley person. As soon as she appears on the screen, I'm gone.

duffylab, are you going next? dan?

Message was edited by:

jdb1

I've got another one to keep things moving:

Do you know me?

Although not from an acting family, I've been around movie stars most of my life. A talent scout saw me dining with my family in LA and offered me a screen test.

I was one of Hollywood's popular contract players, and was frequently cast as a young GI or cowboy. I even got to play the bad guy, but not very often, because of my clean-cut good looks.

My career has spanned over 50 years, and shows no sign of diminishing. The current generation certainly knows who I am, even if they don't know my film history.

I am as well known for my private life as for my professional life.

I have been a successful TV producer, and have starred in several popular TV series of my own, one of which was a very big hit.

Who am I?

Oooh, here?s one I can get. It?s Robert Wagner. He was around Hollywood stars because he caddied at one of the local golf courses (LACC?), including for Clark Gable, and he was discovered while eating at a restaurant with his family. The younger generation knows him from his role in Austin Powers. He is famous for his private life primarily because he fell in love with and married Natalie Wood, but they divorced only to marry again 10 years later and become well-known for the intensity of their love. He was in several TV series that were pretty popular, including It Takes a Thief and Hart to Hart.

stooge is exactly correct -

I was thinking of the seemingly ageless RJ Wagner. (Although, I'm happy to contemplate Tab Hunter as well from time to time.)

Molto bene, stooge. Have you got one for us?

Who am I?

Although famous as an actor (I?ve performed with Lauren Bacall, John Carradine, Deborah Kerr, Glenn Ford, Shirley Jones, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Robert Preston, Richard Dreyfuss, Kevin Costner and Harrison Ford), I have found more success behind the camera. There are 2 Oscars on my mantle, neither of which is for my acting.

I have a current recurring role as the narrator of a popular TV sitcom.

This won't take too long.

I played in a movie with my son. We both played the same role. In my later life, politics dominated my public image. I've been a president a couple of times, but never played one in the movies. I've worked with animals from both sides of the bars.

Who am I?

If you get this and are sure, go ahead and proceed. The laptop is needing a recharge and I don't know if I'll be back tonight.

CharlieT

I'm 99% certain this is Charlton Heston. His son Frasier Clarke Heston played the infant Moses in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1956). He was President of SAG and the NRA.

Who am I?

I was famous for my overbite. My best-known role was as a murder victim. I was married to a famous costume designer. My final film role was a remake of Three Coins in a Fountain.

Who am I?

A native Texan, I was born into a well-to-do family (my father was a prominent physician; my sister married the longtime head of the King Ranch). My first wife later married a very famous American author. In my most famous film role, "I loaf, but in a charming and decorative manner." Who am I?