Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,836 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, shutoo said:

My relative was a big star in musical/comedy..but went on to win an Oscar for a dramatic performance...we both changed our names for our show biz careers.

I only had a small part in one of my relative's films..my biggest part was as second billed to John Wayne

On 5/28/2018 at 10:25 PM, shutoo said:

thanks Princess..

next--I went to Hollywood as a teen to visit a relative.  I ended up staying, and after the relative urged me to try acting (and pulled a few strings) I racked up two dozen film credits.  I knew I wasn't going to be a star, so I headed to NYC..where I became well-known and socially prominent not for my acting, but initially for the man..oh make that men..I married.

Shutoo, thanks for this great question. Challenging, informative and interesting.

Phyllis Fraser actress then she became Phyllis Cerf Wagner ???

Phyllis Fraser became Mrs. Phyllis Cerf Wagner. Her famous cousin was Ginger Rogers, Phyllis had a minor role in Vivacious Lady starring Ginger. Her film with John Wayne was Winds of the Wasteland. She married Bennett Cerf(Random House publisher, we all know him from What's My Line) after Bennett died she married NY Mayor Robert F Wagner.

Phyllis did collaborate with Dr. Zeus on many of his children's books  so initially she was socially prominent thru her marriages but she did have her own accomplishments.  

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Phyllis Fraser actress then she became Phyllis Cerf Wagner ???

excellent sleuthing, lavenderblue!  I didn't realize all the connections until I saw Ginger R as the 'mystery guest' on an episode of What's My Line..and Cerf was calling her 'cousin'..(did you know that he was also briefly married to actress Sylvia Sidney before Fraser?) Here's a pic of Ginger, Phyllis and Ginger's mother..there is a resemblance..

Image result for phyllis fraser

your thread, Lavenderblue!

I was successful onstage in the European country where I was born. Later I acted in European Cinema.

The audience viewed me as somewhat of a matinee Idol.

Eventually I started out on stage in the English-speaking world in London and ended up in Hollywood. Where I started to make films in the 1930s.

In the 40s, I continued to appear in Hollywood movies, but I also appeared on the Broadway stage.

In the fifties, I continued to work in the movies, but I started to transition into television work on through to the 60s.

Some of the movie stars I co-starred with in the Golden Age movies were:  Edward G Robinson, Claudette Colbert,  Alan Ladd and Ginger Rogers.

When you identify me, please also identify my country of origin and at least two famous classic movies that I appeared in.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:55 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I was successful onstage in the European country where I was born. Later I acted in European Cinema.

The audience viewed me as somewhat of a matinee Idol.

Eventually I started out on stage in the English-speaking world in London and ended up in Hollywood. Where I started to make films in the 1930s.

In the 40s, I continued to appear in Hollywood movies, but I also appeared on the Broadway stage.

In the fifties, I continued to work in the movies, but I started to transition into television work on through to the 60s.

Some of the movie stars I co-starred with in the Golden Age movies were:  Edward G Robinson, Claudette Colbert,  Alan Ladd and Ginger Rogers.

When you identify me, please also identify my country of origin and at least two famous classic movies that I appeared in.

Hint#1--I appeared in classic TV series like Ben Casey and The Untouchables.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:47 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--I appeared in classic TV series like Ben Casey and The Untouchables.

Hint#2-- I studied at the Actors Studio with Elia Kazan.

3 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Are you Francis Lederer?

Yes, he is!

Miles,  for anybody else I would say that was hard. But for you, I know it was easy. I researched that a little bit to give you something to do besides playing golf. LOL

Miles,  when you come back on, we still need the actor's nationality and two of his great movies.

Don't be a stranger....

Well, Princess, Francis Lederer was from what is now the Czech Republic.  He started in films in Germany, where he appeared in "Pandora's Box" with Louise Brooks in 1929.  He came to the U.S. and appeared in quite a few films including "Romance In Manhattan" with Ginger Rogers, and "Midnight" with Claudette Colbert".  He was even in "Captain Carey U.S.A." with Alan Ladd.  That was the picture that introduced the song "Mona Lisa".

Now, do you know me?  I was born in the south and started my career playing a violin to accompany silent movies.  I had a terrible speech impediment as a child, but I overcame it by age eighteen.  I took my violin into vaudeville where I became a headliner as a comic.  I even revived my stuttering for comedic effect.  This led to a career in early sound movies, often as a stuttering supporting player.  As the years went by, I was cast in many westerns, usually as the hero's sidekick.  I did a whole series of westerns with a singing cowboy in the forties.  I played the sidekick, Soapy.  Throughout the fifties, I guested on many TV shows, most of them westerns.  It's funny, but the stuttering that I worked so hard to overcome as a youngster, turned out to be my ticket to success as an actor.  Now, do you know me?

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Well, Princess, Francis Lederer was from what is now the Czech Republic.  He started in films in Germany, where he appeared in "Pandora's Box" with Louise Brooks in 1929.  He came to the U.S. and appeared in quite a few films including "Romance In Manhattan" with Ginger Rogers, and "Midnight" with Claudette Colbert".  He was even in "Captain Carey U.S.A." with Alan Ladd.  That was the picture that introduced the song "Mona Lisa".

Now, do you know me?  I was born in the south and started my career playing a violin to accompany silent movies.  I had a terrible speech impediment as a child, but I overcame it by age eighteen.  I took my violin into vaudeville where I became a headliner as a comic.  I even revived my stuttering for comedic effect.  This led to a career in early sound movies, often as a stuttering supporting player.  As the years went by, I was cast in many westerns, usually as the hero's sidekick.  I did a whole series of westerns with a singing cowboy in the forties.  I played the sidekick, Soapy.  Throughout the fifties, I guested on many TV shows, most of them westerns.  It's funny, but the stuttering that I worked so hard to overcome as a youngster, turned out to be my ticket to success as an actor.  Now, do you know me?

I don't know the answer.  So I'll just guess Fuzzy Knight.

Sorry, it's not Fuzzy Knight, but a guess usually triggers a hint, so here is one:

In one of my stranger movies, my character was engaged to a woman who was very close to her sister.  They were practically inseparable.  

On 6/28/2018 at 1:40 PM, MilesArcher said:

Sorry, it's not Fuzzy Knight, but a guess usually triggers a hint, so here is one:

In one of my stranger movies, my character was engaged to a woman who was very close to her sister.  They were practically inseparable.  

Miles, can you give us another hint?

In the strange movie that I referenced, he confronts his fiance and her sister, accusing the fiance of flirting with another man.  He says to the sister "Oh no you du-du-du- don't.   She's staying right here!".  Then the sister says, "Oh no.  I've gotta go".  He follows that line by saying "Oh, Ph-hoo-hooey!  You're always using that as an excu-as an excu, as an alibu-bu-bu-bi."

Also, in a memorable boxing story, he played the friend and trainer of the man about to fight for the heavyweight championship.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

I can't believe that no one has gotten him yet.  Here is his photo:

Image result for roscoe ates images 

Image result for roscoe ates the champ 

Now, do you know him?

Yeah, sure it's Roscoe Ates, but I think he looks like Fuzzy Knight. That's how I got confused.

When it comes to Westerns,  Miles you absolutely have no equal.

But if Richard Widmark, Gary Cooper or Randolph Scott are in the western, you'll have a run for your money with me. LOL

Yes, it's Roscoe Ates and the films I was describing were "Freaks" and "The Champ".  In the forties, he was a sidekick to singing cowboy Eddie Dean in a series of low budget westerns.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/715565/Freaks-Movie-Clip-How-Do-You-Like-Them-.html 

Now you know what I meant by the sisters being inseperable.

Princess, it's your thread now.

• Haha 1

I started in Vaudeville and worked my way up to Broadway.

When people think of me, they often think of me in musicals, but I was very successful in dramas and comedies too.

I was lucky to have contracts with two major studios during the Golden  Era.

My partner in musicals was a bigger star than I was, but the public saw us as a team.

There was even gossip and innuendo that we were actually in love with each, even though we were married to others.

Late in my career, I went into television and won a Golden Globe for one of my TV series in the late 60s.

When you identify me, please also identify my partner and at least 1 film that we were noted for.

And one big  Brownie point for the name the TV series that won me a Golden Globe.

On 7/10/2018 at 5:43 AM, Princess of Tap said:

I started in Vaudeville and worked my way up to Broadway.

When people think of me, they often think of me in musicals, but I was very successful in dramas and comedies too.

I was lucky to have contracts with two major studios during the Golden  Era.

My partner in musicals was a bigger star than I was, but the public saw us as a team.

There was even gossip and innuendo that we were actually in love with each, even though we were married to others.

Late in my career, I went into television and won a Golden Globe for one of my TV series in the late 60s.

When you identify me, please also identify my partner and at least 1 film that we were noted for.

And one big  Brownie point for the name the TV series that won me a Golden Globe.

I'm going to take a shot with Dan Dailey. His better known star partner in films would be Betty Grable. 2 of the films they made together would be My Blue Heaven and Mother Wore Tights although there are others. Dan starred in the tv show The Governor and JJ ??????

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm going to take a shot with Dan Dailey. His better known star partner in films would be Betty Grable. 2 of the films they made together would be My Blue Heaven and Mother Wore Tights although there are others. Dan starred in the tv show The Governor and JJ ??????

Lav,  you're terrific--your guesses are always correct!

Years ago when I first saw Dan Dailey in " It's Always Fair Weather" and I saw him dancing right up to speed with those two ballet dancers, Gene Kelly and Michael Kidd,

I said to myself but he doesn't get the credit that he deserves as a dancer.

Just seeing how great he was in that movie, I bet if he had been at MGM he would have been one of the top dancing stars In Hollywood.

(BTW-- I bet you liked Tab Hunter's number one record as much as I did, "Young Love". He was truly a sweet guy!)

Thanks Princess  for the nice compliment. I put a lot of thought in your question, as a matter of fact I woke up thinking about it this morning LOL.  Dan just popped into my head. I've always felt the same say about Dan Dailey.  Unfortunately, his private life was a sad. Yes,  I liked Tab Hunter's hit Young Love, didn't everyone?  If they didn't, they should have ;)

next

She was a beautiful actress whose career lasted over 30 years. Dramas, comedies, musicals, westerns, film noirs, she made them all. She was under 20 years old when she got her first part in a film. Her first role was a bit part, 6 years later she was an Oscar nominee for a drama. Actress and the film she was nominated for and throw in a few more of your favorites ????????

Barbara Stanwyck was my first favorite classic actress, I always had a thing for Annie Oakley. LOL

" Double Indemnity  " was always my favorite noir and my favorite role for her.

Barbara Stanwyck never gave a bad performance, but most critics said she was truly outstanding in "Sorry, Wrong Number".

But I think she stopped the clock in " Meet John Doe ".

Lav-- Did I name any of your favorite Stanwyck performances?

Oh and she was nominated for " Stella Dallas " in 1937.

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess  for the nice compliment. I put a lot of thought in your question, as a matter of fact I woke up thinking about it this morning LOL.  Dan just popped into my head. I've always felt the same say about Dan Dailey.  Unfortunately, his private life was a sad. Yes,  I liked Tab Hunter's hit Young Love, didn't everyone?  If they didn't, they should have ;)

next

She was a beautiful actress whose career lasted over 30 years. Dramas, comedies, musicals, westerns, film noirs, she made them all. She was under 20 years old when she got her first part in a film. Her first role was a bit part, 6 years later she was an Oscar nominee for a drama. Actress and the film she was nominated for and throw in a few more of your favorites ????????

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Barbara Stanwyck was my first favorite classic actress, I always had a thing for Annie Oakley. LOL

" Double Indemnity  " was always my favorite noir and my favorite role for her.

Barbara Stanwyck never gave a bad performance, but most critics said she was truly outstanding in "Sorry, Wrong Number".

But I think she stopped the clock in " Meet John Doe ".

Lav-- Did I name any of your favorite Stanwyck performances?

Oh and she was nominated for " Stella Dallas " in 1937.

Princess, Stanwyck was also my favorite actress, you did a good job here, unfortunately she's not the actress I'm asking about. I wrote that she was nominated 6 years after her first bit role in a film, Barbara was nominated 10 years after her first bit role. Barbara's career was almost twice as long as this actress. The actress I'm thinking about had almost 1/2 the credits Barbara had and her career lasted a little over 30 years.

She was in a 1950's film, then 2 years later, also in the 1950's, she was in the sequel (both are shown on TCM, esp the first one, shown at least a couple of times a year)