Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,823 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2018 at 1:46 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2) I have won the Academy Award.

I'm going with Martin Balsam.  It's interesting, whenever I've thought of the film Psycho, I always think not of the shower scene first, but of Mr. Balsam walking up those stairs.  He worked with Fonda in 12 Angry Men, with Poiter in The Bedford Incident, With Audrey in Breakfast at Tiffany's and with Redford in All the President's Men ?????????

• Like 1

And Marty was a hidden gem in so many movies. I think he deserved more recognition for his work in Breakfast at Tiffany's too.

And what a marvelous dramatic piece of work he did in  Murder on the Orient Express.

Good work, Lav!  It's all yours.

Thanks Princess. always liked Martin Balsam so much. His daughter Talia Balsam was a major character on one of my very favorite tv shows, Mad Men. Talent runs in the family. But of course, Martin Balsam grew up in the Bronx LOL

next

As long as we're talking favorite support characters, this actress is a favorite of mine. She had a successful career on stage. She then appeared in silents and then sound films. She worked in Hollywood for 34 years. According to her filmography, once she appeared in sound films, she made at least 3 films a year and many times more than 3 films a year, every single year she was in Hollywood. She was great in both comedies and dramas.

She was nominated for an Oscar, this time as a lead actress. Who was this sweet, lovely actress?

edited by me

Is it May Robson?  She was nominated for an Oscar for Lady for a Day, remade years later with Bette Davis playing her role.  She was in Four Daughters and it's sequels, and she played an important part in that screwball classic Bringing Up Baby.

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

Is it May Robson?  She was nominated for an Oscar for Lady for a Day, remade years later with Bette Davis playing her role.  She was in Four Daughters and it's sequels, and she played an important part in that screwball classic Bringing Up Baby.

Yes, it's May Robson. I Love this actress. she is so endearing, she's the grandma, aunt, relative everyone wants. She could be so touching when the role called for her to be and so funny when called for in films. She was great in my favorite screwball comedy, Bringing Up Baby. May Robson fit in with that bunch of whackos perfectly :D A lovely woman and talented, intelligent actress  .Good work Star, it's your turn :)

• Thanks 1

Do you know me?  I was an actress with a foreign sounding name and an icy countenance.  I started out in theater and, after a couple of Broadway shows, I was brought to Hollywood in the early 30’s.  I rarely got a leading lady assignment.  Instead I was the “other woman” opposite many of the big male stars of the day, including Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Fred Astaire, Fred MacMurray, Lew Ayres and Robert Young.  I also gave the cold shoulder to Shirley Temple in a couple of movies, one of which I appeared in with my first husband, to whom I was briefly married.  (We didn’t end up together in the movie.)  After marrying my second husband, I made the decision to retire and concentrate on raising a family.

Who am I?

Who am I? I was born in Ohio in 1922. I started my career in film, appearing in over 80 movies. I am considered a very versatile actress whose career spanned over 40 years. I co-starred in an enormously popular musical film in 1965 but did not sing. I was nominated for three Best Actress awards in the 1950s. My career includes stage performances and television - I appeared on "Fantasy Island" and "The Love Boat". I passed away at 91 years old from pneumonia

Do you know me?  I was born into a show business family from Pennsylvania and I spent my youth touring in vaudeville and theatrical stock companies.  I eventually landed in New York where I appeared in a few Broadway productions.  That led to Hollywood where I began my movie career in the early 1930's.  I was a versatile performer, but I didn't possess leading man looks, so I was cast in a variety of supporting roles in all types of movies, including comedies, dramas, musicals, and even westerns.  I spent years under contract at Warner Bros. and I appeared with just about every star at the studio, including Cagney, Bogart, and Flynn.  I became good friends with James Cagney and appeared with him in eleven films.  He and I, along with Pat O'Brien and Spencer Tracy, were so close that we became known in Hollywood as "The Irish Mafia".  I was also known for my unique laugh, a sort of slow, high-pitched whine.  I appeared in a couple of movies with Bing Crosby, and later in a television series with him.  My career lasted well into the television era.  Now, do you know me?     

Yes, I am Frank McHugh.  Frank was seen quite a few times on TCM in the last few months as he was a contract player at Warner Bros. in the thirties and appeared several times with Stars Of The Month Glenda Farrell and Dick Powell.

I mentioned his unique laugh.  You may hear it a few times in this clip:

Good work, Drvannor.  You get to go next.

• Like 2

I was born in Massachusetts in 1900. My 60 year career includes radio, stage, film, and television. In Hollywood, I usually played supporting roles to super stars like John Wayne, Orson Wells, Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Greer Garson, Eleanor Parker, Ava Gardner, and Jane Wyman. I have won an Emmy and Golden Globe award. I am best known as being a witch. Who am I?

9 hours ago, Drvannor said:

I was born in Massachusetts in 1900. My 60 year career includes radio, stage, film, and television. In Hollywood, I usually played supporting roles to super stars like John Wayne, Orson Wells, Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Greer Garson, Eleanor Parker, Ava Gardner, and Jane Wyman. I have won an Emmy and Golden Globe award. I am best known as being a witch. Who am I?

Sounds exactly like Agnes Moorehead to me

• Like 1