Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,890 posts in this topic

Do you know me?  I was a child actress who was in a well known movie made in the 1940's.  A sequel was made a couple of years later.  In the sequel, some years have passed since the first movie, and now my character is a young woman.  The character in the sequel was played by June Lockhart.  In another movie around that same time, I played a young girl in the early part of the movie.  During the course of the movie, my character ages into young adulthood.  The character as a young adult was played by June Lockhart again.   So, who am I?  What were the movies?   

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  I was a child actress who was in a well known movie made in the 1940's.  A sequel was made a couple of years later.  In the sequel, some years have passed since the first movie, and now my character is a young woman.  The character in the sequel was played by June Lockhart.  In another movie around that same time, I played a young girl in the early part of the movie.  During the course of the movie, my character ages into young adulthood.  The character as a young adult was played by June Lockhart again.   So, who am I?  What were the movies?   

Elizabeth Taylor? Liz played Priscilla as a young girl in Lassie Come Home, June later played Priscilla in Son of Lassie.

Liz played Betsy Kenney as a young girl and again June played Betsy Kenney as a young adult in The White Cliffs of Dover ????

You are correct, Lavender.  I never saw any resemblance between Liz and June, but apparently MGM didn't worry about that.  June, of course, would spend a lot more time with Lassie in the fifties and early sixties.

Lavender, it's your turn now.

Thanks Miles :)

This actor had a long career. He was a regular on a long running popular tv series in the classic timeframe. He was a co-star in another hit series in the same decade. From the 50's on and  several more decades, we watched him in many tv shows. He also had important roles in some famous films  in between his tv appearances. Actor, name some of his tv shows and films ????????

Is it Richard Crenna?  Your giveaway clue about repeating the radio role on television had me thinking of Gale Gordon from "Our Miss Brooks", but the other clues didn't fit.  Then I remembered reading that Richard Crenna had played a high school student on the show both during the radio series and TV.  He was also in "The Real McCoys" and "Slattery's People" on TV.  The thriller would be "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn.  Of course, he was known for the "Rambo" movies, as well as many other movies, both theatrical and made for TV.

52 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Is it Richard Crenna?  Your giveaway clue about repeating the radio role on television had me thinking of Gale Gordon from "Our Miss Brooks", but the other clues didn't fit.  Then I remembered reading that Richard Crenna had played a high school student on the show both during the radio series and TV.  He was also in "The Real McCoys" and "Slattery's People" on TV.  The thriller would be "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn.  Of course, he was known for the "Rambo" movies, as well as many other movies, both theatrical and made for TV.

Yes it's Richard Crenna. I figured someone would think of Gale Gordon that's why I made sure to mention Crenna's film work. Yes my giveaway clue was about Our Miss Brooks. Good thinking Miles, your thread :)

On 5/3/2019 at 11:52 AM, MilesArcher said:

Miles, see my answer above. It's your thread

Do you know me?  I come from a show business family.  My father was an actor and my siblings and I went into acting.   I had a troubled childhood.  My parents divorced when I was young and a brother and I were raised by our maternal grandmother.  I developed a musical talent and with the help of my older half-brother, I began working on Broadway in a musical.  I had an affair with an actress in the cast that produced a daughter, who is now an actress.  I was only in my early twenties when I started working in movies.  Within a few years I got to sing a song that I had composed in a movie.  The song won an Oscar.  

After a few more years of making movies, I alternated between theatrical films and made for TV movies, once playing a one-armed baseball player.  I also found time to star in a musical on Broadway.  In more recent years, I have had recurring roles in TV series, both network and on cable.  

Do you know me? 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  I come from a show business family.  My father was an actor and my siblings and I went into acting.   I had a troubled childhood.  My parents divorced when I was young and a brother and I were raised by our maternal grandmother.  I developed a musical talent and with the help of my older half-brother, I began working on Broadway in a musical.  I had an affair with an actress in the cast that produced a daughter, who is now an actress.  I was only in my early twenties when I started working in movies.  Within a few years I got to sing a song that I had composed in a movie.  The song won an Oscar.  

After a few more years of making movies, I alternated between theatrical films and made for TV movies, once playing a one-armed baseball player.  I also found time to star in a musical on Broadway.  In more recent years, I have had recurring roles in TV series, both network and on cable.  

Do you know me? 

I'm taking a guess with this one Miles, are you Keith Carradine?

You are correct, Lavender.  Keith Carradine is the father of actress Martha Plimpton.  Her mother is actress Shelley Plimpton.  David Carradine was Keith's half-brother.  The Oscar winning song that he wrote and performed was "I'm Easy" from the movie "Nashville".  Keith once played one-armed outfielder Pete Gray in a made for TV movie.  He also starred in "The Will Rogers Follies" on Broadway.

Good work, Lavender.  You're up next.  

Thanks Miles :)

Although this actress was probably known by most for her role on a popular classic tv sit com, she was well known and respected as a Broadway actress and for her film work. She started her career at a young age and lived a long life. She won many awards, who was she? 

Shirley Booth

On 5/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles :)

Although this actress was probably known by most for her role on a popular classic tv sit com, she was well known and respected as a Broadway actress and for her film work. She started her career at a young age and lived a long life. She won many awards, who was she? 

Shirley won the Tony and the Oscar for William Inge's " Come Back Little Sheba ".

And she went on to win two Emmy Awards for her role as the Beloved Maid in the NBC sitcom "Hazel".

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Shirley Booth

Yes, she's Shirley Booth. Shirley won an Oscar, Emmys and Tonys, good work Princess, your thread.

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes, she's Shirley Booth. Shirley won an Oscar, Emmys and Tonys, good work Princess, your thread.

Yes and I was writing all that as you were writing it too. LOL

And thank you for mentioning the work of the University of Kansas' and Kansas' own Pulitzer prize-winning playwright, William Inge.

I know you appreciate his work because you've mentioned how much you enjoyed "Picnic", "Bus Stop" and "Splendor in the Grass" for which he won the Oscar for Best Screenplay.

I shall return.

• Like 1

This handsome Hollywood actor starred in one of the earliest half-hour black and white drama -mystery TV series.

Years later he co-starred in a hour-long color TV police series which has become rather iconic.

Noted for some Sci-Fi movies, he was also successful as a radio actor.

When you identify this actor, also list his classic TV series, one of his Sci-Fi movies and his biggest radio success.