jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,970 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Jeffry Oliver said:

That's a good answer

Actually, I'm sure Raymond Burr is who Princess was asking about, although his career on tv spanned 43 years not 5 decades according to IMDB

4 hours ago, Jeffry Oliver said:

Raymond Burr Perry Mason Rear Window

Jeffrey, It's great to have you playing the games!

Yes, Raymond Burr/ Perry Mason was a prolific and fine character actor in The Golden Age movies before he ever came to TV.

Jeffrey, You have the next question and I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, Jeffry Oliver said:

Raymond Burr Perry Mason Rear Window

Jeffrey, Princess said your guess was correct. It's your turn to post a question

• Thanks 1

Okay, here we go:

Once I was on the top of the world

Then I made a mistake, I turned down a role

Then it was downhill, downhill, downhill all the way

Until I was at the bottom of that same world

After I died I sort of won an Oscar...

On 10/13/2019 at 7:03 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Jeffrey, It's great to have you playing the games!

Yes, Raymond Burr/ Perry Mason was a prolific and fine character actor in The Golden Age movies before he ever came to TV.

Jeffrey, You have the next question and I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Thank you for your kind encouragement, Princess of Tap.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeffry Oliver said:

Okay, here we go:

Once I was on the top of the world

Then I made a mistake, I turned down a role

Then it was downhill, downhill, downhill all the way

Until I was at the bottom of that same world

After I died I sort of won an Oscar...

hint #1:  Drugs

hint #2: Octopus grappling

1 hour ago, Jeffry Oliver said:

hint #1:  Drugs

hint #2: Octopus grappling

Last hint:  The role I turned down, years later I vas forced to play it.  It vas the disaster I knew it vould be.

You certainly have a unique way of giving clues, Jeffry.  The answer here is Bela Lugosi.  He was played by Martin Landau in the movie "Ed Wood".  Landau won a supporting actor Oscar for his performance.  Oh, the role he initially turned down was probably the Frankenstein monster, a role he later played in "Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man".  

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

You certainly have a unique way of giving clues, Jeffry.  The answer here is Bela Lugosi.  He was played by Martin Landau in the movie "Ed Wood".  Landau won a supporting actor Oscar for his performance.  Oh, the role he initially turned down was probably the Frankenstein monster, a role he later played in "Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man".  

Very good, MilesArcher.  Poor Bela.  Oh, and he grappled with an octopus at the end of Bride of the Monster.  

Your turn...

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:36 AM, MilesArcher said:

Miles, this one is yours

Do you know me?  I was brought up in Pennsylvania.  As a young man I played a little pro football in Philadelphia, the city where I started as a radio announcer.  I got some bit parts in a couple of movies playing announcers, and then it was on to Broadway.  I was a large husky man who was cast in character parts.   Soon I was acting in movies.  Although I had played football and I played a former football player in a movie, two of my best known movies had baseball themes.  In one I was a player and in the other I was  baseball manager.  I played cops and gangsters equally well.  I played a business executive in a well received film, and a few years later I was offered the role of another business man in what would become an award winning movie, but unfortunately I died before production began.  Do you know me?  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  I was brought up in Pennsylvania.  As a young man I played a little pro football in Philadelphia, the city where I started as a radio announcer.  I got some bit parts in a couple of movies playing announcers, and then it was on to Broadway.  I was a large husky man who was cast in character parts.   Soon I was acting in movies.  Although I had played football and I played a former football player in a movie, two of my best known movies had baseball themes.  In one I was a player and in the other I was  baseball manager.  I played cops and gangsters equally well.  I played a business executive in a well received film, and a few years later I was offered the role of another business man in what would become an award winning movie, but unfortunately I died before production began.  Do you know me?  

Paul Douglas

• Like 1

You are correct, Princess.  The football movie is "The Guy Who Came Back".  The two baseball movies are "It Happens Every Spring" and "Angels In The Outfield".  He was a business executive in "Executive Suite", and he was offered the part of Mr. Sheldrake in "The Apartment".  When Paul Douglas died suddenly from a heart attack, the part went to Fred MacMurray.

Princess, the thread is yours.

• Thanks 1

This actress played opposite the top movie stars in the 40s.

But she didn't become a top star herself until appearing on Broadway decades later.

When you are identifying her also list some of her movies and Broadway shows.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, Princess of Tap said:

But she didn't become a top star herself until appearing on Broadway decades later.

Hint#1) She worked opposite top male movie stars like Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:35 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Alexis Smith  married to Craig Stevens - movie with Bogart- Conflict, with Errol Flynn Gentleman Jim, with Clark Gable - Any Number Can Play, with Cary Grant- Night and Day. The Women and Follies are some of the Broadway shows

50 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Alexis Smith  married to Craig Stevens - movie with Bogart- Conflict, with Errol Flynn Gentleman Jim, with Clark Gable - Any Number Can Play, with Cary Grant- Night and Day. The Women and Follies are some of the Broadway shows

She was such a dignified and beautiful woman.

But boy, her husband with something else!

Lav, I've been working on the second page but there's still a lot of work to be done.LOL

And I know you can do it! 

I'm looking forward to a whole bunch of your questions now.