Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,823 posts in this topic

I'm ready to interpose another question. I know that many of you would rather guess than ask. Ken123, if you'd like to ask one, since you got the last one right, you can go after this question, so that this thread stays lively.

Do you know me?

I began my show business career as a singer, but my lanky good looks got me work in the theater and in the movies, so I gave up singing.

Many of "The Greatest Generation" knew my face because they were required to look and listen.

I made many films, but did more TV, beginning in the days when it was "live." I had a long career as a character actor, more often than not as a bad guy.

I was a very good guy in a short-lived TV series that wound up surprising those who cancelled it. Two of my often-repeated lines of dialog from that show entered the public domain, and are still used today.

Who am I?

John Huston, maybe? I think the 1940s generation saw him in wartime documentaries, and that "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!" came from his movie The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I'm not sure about the singing or the TV work, though...

No, not Huston, and not military documentaries -- a different kind of military film.

The dialog in question was actually first spoken by this person, and now is part of common parlance, even today.

Keep trying.

Nope.

Here's another clue:

I came within a hair's breadth of winning a film role which ultimately made the fellow who got the part famous. He went on to become a big star, particularly in "action" films. However, unlike him, I wouldn't have had to stand on a box to play those parts. But no more such chances came my way for another 25 years or so, and my big break wasn't in the movies.

Unfortunately for me, I was never quite as "A List" as those you've already named.

No, not Bronson. Another clue:

My most popular chacter was, like myself in real life, born in Georgia. That character was constantly reminding his co-stars of this fact on our successful TV series. The setting of that show was military, but not Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force or Coast Guard. More like a combination of all of those. The creator of this show was a WWII combat veteran.

No, Charlie, not Peppard either. Hmmm, let's see.

My last TV series, though not initially successful, became enduringly popular and spawned several successful spinoffs.

After my most popular TV show had been off the air for a considerable amount of time, a series of successful sequel films were made, and I was in all of those with the original cast. I also appeared briefly in one episode of the most successful of the TV spinoffs. A few of the other original cast members also made guest apperances on this, and other spinoffs. Some of those original cast members went on to active careers and some did not, but we all spent a lot of time making personal appearances for wildly appreciative fans.

Right! After all, I'm a doctor, not a poster, dammit! That was one of the catchphrases I referred to, the other being "He's dead, Jim!"

Kelly appeared in many of the training films shown to incoming military personnel during WWII - the "Loose Lips Sink Ships" and "How Not to Get VD" type.

It's part of Hollywood lore that he was cast as the gunman in "This Gun for Hire," but was replaced at the last minute by Alan Ladd.

And now to you, Charlie. Engage!

I hate to be right... just because I'm so bad at this. Oh, well, here goes.

I'm more famous for two TV series in which I starred than my limited movie appearances. One movie I was in also starred another actor known better for TV and stage appearances. My mother was also more famous for appearing on stage and well known for one live TV appearance in particular.

Who am I?

You don't stink I knew he was Mary Martin's son. She played Peter Pan in 1955 on television which by the way had the record for the number of people watching at that time. Ok here goes...........I was born on February 10th, 1879. I ran away from home when I was eleven years old. When I was 14, I saw the Burns Brothers juggling team and became fascinated and took up juggling which helped me in later years in movies I appeared in. I started in Vaudeville in Atlantic City and was seen by a Ziegfeld Follies scout, who later contacted me to appear in the follies for a period of ten years. My first movie was in 1925, with many more to follow. Who am I?

> W.C. Fields?

The ink is still wet! Hey Charlie T did you say YOU stink at this? Do you feel better now? Holy Cow your turn jdb1!

There's no great talent involved, you know. You just happened to pick one I knew is all.

Do you know me?

I appeared as the heavy in the original production of what some consider the first true American musical, as opposed to musical revue (although some think that a famous musical of the late 20s was really the first).

I had success early on as a character actor. However, I had to stop working for some time when a popular Hollywood leading man implicated me during infamous legal proceedings.

I will probably always be remembered for playing an American icon on stage and on the screen.

Who am I?

This has to be Howard Da Silva.

He appeared as Jud (the "heavy") in the original Broadway production of OKLAHOMA! in 1943.

He was blacklisted in the 1950s as a result of the investigations into alleged communist influence in the movie industry by the House Committee on Un-American Activities. Robert Taylor was the popular Hollywood leading man who supposedly "fingered" him.

Later, Da Silva would appear on stage and on screen as "an American icon..." Benjamin Franklin... in "1776."

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Message was edited by:

daneldorado

Dan's got it, and Ken added a sidebar. Well done, gentlemen.

Dan's up. Do you want to throw, or catch?

Do you know me?

Though I was born in the U.K., I made most of my films in the U.S.A.

In my first film I wore a monocle, but I never wore it again, though I had a long career.

I never won a competitive Oscar for my acting, but I do have one, in a non-acting category.

My son did win a Tony, on Broadway.

Who am I?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com