Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

5,837 posts in this topic

Here's a time-filler:

Do you know me?

I started out on the stage at a very young age. A movie was made about my early life. A lovely young English girl played the lead, but few people these days realize that the movie is really about me.

I made a few movies, but didn't have much success. I had much more success on the other side of the camera, especially with my life and work partner -- our partnership was unorthodox for its time. We had several very successful collaborations with another unorthodox partnership.

I got recognition for my work from the public and from my peers much later in life than most. I'm best known for two movies which have now reached a sort of cult status.

Who am I?

A time filler? It will take another century to figure this one out for me. Could you toss me a bone with another clue? What a time filler not like the W.C. Fields post you guessed in 33 seconds. :)

Hmmm. My daughter, a college student and by no means obssessive about classic movies, got this one. Think of an actress who, after a long career, made two movies that have become cult favorites, and got an Oscar for one of them.

Here's what the mystery guest says:

I wrote with my collaboration partner, who was also my husband. We wrote several movies for another successful couple - and some felt that their onscreen relationship reflected our offscreen one. The chemistry of this couple was evident onscreen, but their chemistry offscreen was an open secret.

When I won my Oscar, in my acceptance speech I said "You don't know what this means to a young actress," or words to that effect. I was kidding.

Does that give you more to work with?

Hope so. JDB

Now you're cookin'

A 1950 movie, "The Actress," was based on Gordon's autobiographical play "Years Ago," and starred Jean Simmons. The character bears Gordon's real name, Ruth Gordon Jones. Anyone I know who has ever seen it takes a few days to get it -- "Oh, *that* Ruth Gordon!"

She wrote several successful films with her husband, Garson Kanin. Their marriage was considered unconventional, because Gordon was 16 years Kanin's senior. Among their screenplays was "Adam's Rib," which supposedly mirrored their own relationship, and "Pat and Mike." Their onscreen collaborators were, of course, Tracy and Hepburn.

You're up Mr. Vallo

> Hmmm. My daughter, a college student and by no means

> obssessive about classic movies, got this one.

Right! Like the instructions on how to assemble something says "So easy a six year old can do it". But I'm not six years old! :)

Stereotypical "Brooklyn accent" it has been widely supposed that he was. I was actually born in the Borough of Manhattan (New York City proper), in a midtown flat hard by the tracks of the long-since defunct Third-Avenue Elevated Railway. (Manhattan sections of the "El," as New Yorkers called it, were demolished circa 1956.)

Jut-jawed, broken-nosed and burly, began his acting career after the ravages of the Great Depression had killed his erstwhile grocery business. Having performed in nightclubs even while grocer, and having portrayed taxicab drivers in a series of Broadway flops. In 1939, portraying the cop his Hollywood feature debut came about in one of his few starring roles.

Who Am I??

vallo

William Bendix?

Did he make a movie 1939? The earliest one I could find listed was "Woman of the Year" (1942).

What a revoltin' development.

OK -- but tell me if I'm getting too esoteric, guys.

Do you know me?

Joe E. Brown and I have a nickname in common.

I was a very popular singer, dancer and actress on stage and in films, who was one of those vaudeville kids born in a trunk.

I was best known for my tireless work entertaining troops in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. During WWII, I was part of a popular troupe that the GIs loved, and which was the subject of a movie. Although I would be the first to admit that I was no beauty, the GIs liked me as a **** - probably my shapely legs had something to do with it.

I was married many times, and among my exes were a makeup man and a very well-respected character actor. One of my proudest achievements was making a film with one of the world's most popular and famous cinema stars. He wrote and directed it - I just acted in it with him.

I was a big success in TV, too, and in later life I made commercials aimed at others in my age group.

Who am I?

I was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and was soon branded a Delinquent and sent to reform school. Prior to films I was a "Barker" at a Carnival and also a "Professional Swimmer". I started on stage in various Shakespeare play's and performed them on Broadway and on tour. I starred in several notable westerns but in the 112 movies I made was also involved in movies about wars, politics, biblical and dramas's. Although I was nominated for a best "Co-Star" Academy Award I did not win, however the lead actor in the same film I was nominated won for the "Best Actor" Academy Award. Besides movies I was quite comfortable with television but my first love was the Broadway Stage where I worked between making films. In the late 60's the choice parts dwindled and I was forced to star in "B" movies to live. Things got so bad that in 1987, I placed an ad in "Variety" which read..."I am an actor, PLEASE let me work!!! Do you know me?

> How's about John Ireland?

I stink at this or I give away too many good clues! After you get through watching " King Kong versus Godzilla" for the 833rd time take your turn cause you are right you Texas Genius!