Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SansFin

Members
  • Content Count

    8,262
  • Joined

  • Days Won

    24

Everything posted by SansFin

  1. In recording made fom TCM broadcast some time ago the movie ends and then there is placard notice: "You have just seen the original 'International' 1939 ending of MGM's "Idiot's Delight" which is spiritualistic and optimistic in tone. We now present the original 'domestic' theatrical ending that seems to ignore the fact that the rest of the world is at war." It then shows other ending which is just under three minutes long.
  2. I do not know how many of you know what it is like to live where films are banned. I was raised with it. I believe bans are important because they mean people will preserve films which might otherwise be lost or ignored. Many films have extant copies only because people wanted to collect banned works and hid prints from authorities. My uncle ran small illicit theater. He was always first to get list of new movies which it was illegal to import or own. Those were ones he asked sailors to bring into country for him to show. I later learned many movies had larger distribution where they
  3. > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote} > I'm still having trouble with the concept of thinking that a film is the director's "best", yet not liking it. Many years ago my kitten laid dead mouse in my lap. I understood her first kill was important and she brought it to me as sign of love. I still did not like it.
  4. > {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote} > I guess there are times when you can love a film but not think it was the best thing ever made. I can describe difference from my point of view only by analogy. My esso makes chocolate buttercream cheesecake. You do not eat it. It melts on tongue sending cool cream down your throat while flavors evaporate and wrap your mind in fog of chocolate. I suspect each bite has 2,613,442 calories and rum makes it twenty proof. No one can call it important food. It is opposite of good food. It is evil because he created it for nefarious purpose of
  5. > {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote} > I like the way you distinguish between "most important" and "favourite", re-enforcing what so many posters maintain (including me), that there is a difference between what is objectively considered "best" or "important", and what resonates with a fan in terms of subjective response to a film, one's personal favourite. I made two lists because of cowardice. I did not want anyone to think I believe *Avanti!* (1972) and *Love in the Afternoon* (1957) are cinematic masterpieces. I wished to include them in post because they are among my all-
  6. What I believe are John Ford's most important five movies: Mister Roberts (1955) She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) They Were Expendable (1945) The Grapes of Wrath (1940) Stagecoach (1939) My favorites five John Ford movies: Donovan's Reef (1963) Mister Roberts (1955) Mogambo (1953) The Quiet Man (1952) The Whole Town's Talking (1935)
  7. What I believe are Alfred Hitchcock's most important five movies: Psycho (1960) Rear Window (1954) Dial M for Murder (1954) Strangers on a Train (1951) Rebecca (1940) My favorite five Alfred Hitchcock movies: The Trouble with Harry (1955) Dial M for Murder (1954) Rope (1948) Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941) Rebecca (1940)
  8. What I believe are Billy Wilder's most important five movies: The Apartment (1960) Stalag 17 (1953) Sunset Blvd. (1950) The Lost Weekend (1945) Double Indemnity (1944) My favorite five Billy Wilder movies: Avanti! (1972) Love in the Afternoon (1957) Sabrina (1954) Stalag 17 (1953) Double Indemnity (1944)
  9. First thing I was taught about being American: "This is the land of free speech. I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to make an **** out of yourself by saying it." I have seen several movies listed for Emma Thompson. I found them nice. I would not recognize picture of her. She is obviously competent actress and perhaps celebrity. As Hibi said Audrey was actress and star. The difference is very large.
  10. > {quote:title=charliechaplin101 wrote:}{quote} > The other day i was watching old episodes of the tonight show with Johnny Carson and George Gobel was on, and he was REALLY funny. I've never heard of him before.....who is he? George Gobel was only person who could do perfect imitation of thick pea soup coming to a boil.
  11. > {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote} > I've always felt that any film is worth watching once "Once is curiosity, twice is perversion." - Very Old Saying.
  12. (snip original message) Thank you everyone! Title has been eluding me for weeks. I knew as soon as I posted about it I would remember. It worked! Edited by: SansFin on Aug 8, 2010 6:14 PM
  13. > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote} > You saved us from Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan in what would have been a completely different (to say the least) version of CASABLANCA. I do not know why this made me think of how *Casblanca* would have been with Bob Hope and Betty Hutton. I think I must now go and rinse my brain with Listerine.
  14. I once loved Danny Kaye. I have noticed he seems less funny to me in last twenty years. I now avoid movies I once loved because of him. I do not see comedians or comedy actors as always funny or not funny. Ones I find very flat in one movie make me laugh in another. None of them are always great and none of them are always bad. The worst I can say about any of them is some are once-funny. Marx Brothers and Ritz Brothers are good example. I laughed very hard first time I watch each of their movies. It is now very painful to watch them because humor in them is very much like pun making y
  15. > {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote} > *IT (1927)* has been on TCM on a few occasions, though not very often. I believe the last time was in 2005 or 2006 on Silent Sunday's? The premier was in May of 1999 right after the *Clara Bow Rediscovering The IT Girl* Documentary. TCM has always run the Photoplay version with the Carl Davis score. So I hope that it what they are airing in November. I am excited because this is iconic movie but it has never been available to me. There are very few movies which are so deep in world of classic movies. It will finally be chance for me to see wh
  16. > {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote} > I posted about *We`re Rich Again* when it last aired back in December 2007. I've been waiting for a long time for it to show up again just because it's so warped. Thank you for advice. I hope to record all day and watch them as I can. It is hard for me to imagine her as more outlandish than as Withers. I am very much looking forward to seeing her in something you think is a riot!
  17. I own two movies. My uncle worked for government crew making documentaries of important projects. He borrowed cameras and spliced together blank film scraps. They are movies from his girlfriend's scripts. He sent them to France to get copyrights. Some were shown at festivals in France and Italy. We believe he made six or seven movies but we know of only two which he left to me. I have all proper documents to show I own all rights. One is four minutes long. Other is almost ten minutes. Both are 70mm. There is no sound. There was wire recording for narration of short one but no one has seen it i
  18. I believe this is best schedule in two years. I love day of Edna May Oliver. I have seen few of her movies. I hope the prints of *Raffles* and *Arsene Lupin* and *The Mark of Zorro* are good. I have only seen poor copies of each. If *Galaxy of Terror* is one I think it is it is very good movie far above its type. I was amused that *The Long Memory* (1952) is followed by *They Won't Forget* (1937). This will be first time I have seen *It*
  19. Yvonne De Carlo (The Munsters) and Carolyn Jones (The Addams Family) are very interesting. They both had solid acting credits but we think of them as unknowns before their television series made them famous. Seven has always been important number in human consciousness. There are many theories why. It is dramatic number because it is beyond common grasp. Human minds want to fit things into sets with up to six elements. Seventh item seems special because it is set + one. Would A Week in Spring be as dramatic as Seven Days in May ? Does A Little More Than Half a Dozen Archaic Warriors
  20. I have seen only abbreviated form. Only two movies listed for some days. All other times it has only been short list of advertisements. I am very happy *Murder on a Honeymoon* is scheduled. This is only Edna May Oliver as Hildegarde Withers I have not seen. There is one other I did not expect to see scheduled soon but I can not remember which it was. The rest is good solid schedule. Some are movies which are not my favorites but I saw no actual stinkers in the list.
  21. May I vote for 1933? 42nd Street A Study in Scarlet Ann Carver's Profession Ann Vickers Baby Face Beauty For Sale Before Midnight Below The Sea Christopher Strong Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse Design For Living Dinner At Eight Double Harness Duck Soup Easy To Love Ecstasy Employees' Entrance Flying Down To Rio Gabriel Over The White House International House Island of Lost Souls King Kong Ladies They Talk About Lady For A Day Little Women Mary Stevens, M.D. Mystery of the Wax Museum No Man of Her Own No Other Woman Our Betters Peg O' My Heart Penthouse Queen
  22. I fully agree with misswonderly. I have lived in eleven countries on five continents. TCM is best channel I have ever had anywhere. It is both entertainment and education. It would not be possible to buy all movies I want to watch and I would have no good way of knowing what others to watch without introduction by TCM. I do not understand why people who believe FMC or Encore is perfect ever come to this forum. I am sure both channels have forums where people can express their pleasure. I can not stand either channel but I do not go to their sites and trash them. Making schedules for Ch
  23. I believe it is saying much about her acting ability when I say *Fahrenheit 451* is one of my favorite movies but it was not until I mention to someone how hard it must have been for them to find two actresses who look like same person at different ages when I learn it was Julie Christie in both roles. They were so far apart I have trouble seeing them as one. I will not be able to watch *Petulia* or *Demon Seed* until tomorrow. I am looking forward to them because I know I have seen them before but I remember nothing at all about them.
  24. > {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote} > let's hear it for Warren William for SOTM!!! You will have to do that for challenge. I see William Powell, Warren William and Robert Montgomery as very much like one person. Powell is sophisticated side, Warren is playful side and Robert is boyish side.
  25. The first which comes to my mind is *Jewel Robbery* (1932) with William Powell and Kay Francis. It was written by Erwin Gelsey who also wrote *The Life of Jimmy Dolan* It does not suffer from stilted scenes as many early talkies. I love how Kay is upset when Powell expects to spend quiet night in her bedroom!
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...