Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dargo

Members
  • Content Count

    19,522
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    69

Everything posted by Dargo

  1. > {quote:title=Bill711 wrote:}{quote} > > Dargo said: Dude, there has NEVER been more of a "message movie" in the history of Hollywood which has contained a "heavy-handed" message delivered to the audience by "two-dimensional mouthpieces" than the King Vidor directed, Ayn Rand scripted "sermon" titled *The Fountainhead.* > > The movie wasn't that great but the message was. > > > > > > > > > > Well Bill, if one's idea of "a great message" is some simplistic idea that the world would be a better place if only unbriddled Lib
  2. > {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}Yes, message pictures are almost always heavy-handed. Everything gets subjugated to the message, characters become two-dimensional mouthpieces spouting the party line, and stories are cut-to-fit to serve the purpose. It takes a great director to overcome the drawbacks of this kind of movie. I think the best of them is Metropolis. > > As for Capra and his prescience, think of Meet John Doe. Then think of the Tea Party movement and how the Republican Party moved in to take advantage of it. > Sooo, after these thoughts, you came up with
  3. > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}His acting couldn't have been more wooden than Charlie McCarthy's. Okay finance, maybe not. BUT, it was AT LEAST as "wooden" as Mortimer Snerd's was, dude!!! (...that was Edgar Bergen's other dummy, ya know)
  4. > {quote:title=MontyC wrote:}{quote}.... STATE OF THE UNION are dillemas we STILL face in this country (just my opinion, sorry if I'm getting too political).... Yeah, very good movie. And yep, especially pertinent even today. However (and here comes the "joke")...similar to how TopBilled feels about *A Letter to Three Wives* , don't you think because the Presidential candidate Spencer Tracy plays in that movie gives speeches over the RADIO instead of on TELEVISION, well then, don't you think that that movie might be just a little "dated"??? LOL (...man, I hope TopBilled s
  5. > {quote:title=Whthpnd2hllywd wrote:}{quote}Regardless of context, why cant we all just view these things as examples of how far we've come? I could hardly breathe when I read about the Mark Twain reissue with the ommitance of the n-word. I understand its offensive, and i understand why. But in great literary works or in classic movies, why cant we just use it as an educational portal in to "then vs now", instead of trying to erase it /censor it and pretend it never happened? Thats more offensive, in my opinion. Excellent point there. The *Huckleberry Finn* "controvery" continues to bre
  6. > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}He seemed uneasy (i.e., the character, not him as an actor) in every one of his roles. I can't think of any other actor I would say this about. I guess he was just good at playing uneasy guys......I saw him as a guest panelist on "What's My Line", and he seemed relaxed enough. Hmmmm..."uneasy" you say, eh finance?! Well, I've been holding my tongue here, but seein' as how you brought this up, I'm sorry here folks BUT(and here it comes), while Mr. Harvey did posses quite the voice and was a nice lookin' gent...the dude's acting was...WOODEN!!! Y
  7. Keep talkin' Arturo. I think I see a glimmer of hope that Jonny here might just come to the realization that you're right, and that this flick might be as valid in today's world as it was in '49. (...though gee, I certainly hope that that didn't sound "pretentious" at all) LOL
  8. > {quote:title=Bill711 wrote:}{quote} > >FredCDobbs wrote: > > No, lots of entities can "censor" what we read, hear, and see. > > > > Two obvious examples can be seen in the way CNN censors stuff that we can see and hear on >Fox, and Fox censors stuff that we can see and hear on CNN. > > > > > > Univision shows stuff that is censored on CNN, Fox, and the other American networks. > > > > > > I have to watch several news networks to find out what's really going on in the world. > > Fox and CNN deciding wha
  9. Hmmmm, Lawrence Harvey you say, huh folks?! Now THERE'S ya a guy who would fit VERY nicely on my "Cad List" thread over in "Hot Topics"! (...and geee, he EVEN has that British accent which seems to help that regard TOO!!!) LOL
  10. > {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote} > > Someone commented about "Hands Across The Table"; I think one of the best things about that film is how director Mitchell Leisen deftly handled the sexual tension between the Lombard and Fred MacMurray characters in a post-Code environment. It's something that resonates throughout much of the film. Also, I like how Ralph Bellamy is more than his usual "third wheel" part, but actually helps resolve the situation. > You got that right, VP. I had never seen *"Hands Across The Table"* before, however I have to say I thought Lombard was VERY
  11. > {quote:title=C.Bogle wrote:}{quote} > > I think it might be something even worse. Strasser had suddenly > remembered the Worker's Party part of Nazi and was going to form > an air traffic controller's union. This would have put the kibosh on > Rick and Renault's lucrative smuggling operation, so Strasser had to > go. Then Renault gives his patented order to 'Round up the usual labor > agitators.' > > > > LOL...another good one there, C. (...however, I hope you realize here that both you and I have most likely been spending way to
  12. Thanks for the clarification here, Izcutter. That makes sense actually. I must admit I haven't seen the movie in probably 40-some years, nor have ever read any the original text by J.C. Harris.
  13. > {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}*Having charisma is what makes an actor a star, regardless of their acting talent.* > > Robert Taylor might prove your point there. Extremely good looking, interesting to watch, but no great shakes in the acting department (imo). Yep, as I and a few others have said a few times around here before, Robert Talyor's best performance might be his work as Col. Paul Tibbets in 1952's *Above and Beyond* , where his somewhat wooden style was taken to good advantage in his portrayal of an WWII Army Air Force officer required to play it close-to-the-
  14. Yeah, I can see that, Dragoon. However, DON'T EVEN get me started about watching that fleckled-faced kid on my family's 21in B&W Philco TV set who was just about my age of 7 in 1959 (and about 6 years after the movie's initial release) who watched from his bedroom window that spaceship land just beyond that bluff and sink into the sand, and THEN tried to tell everybody he could that some of his neighbors(and eventually even his own mom and pop) would start actin' kinda weird 'cause they had somethin' implanted in the back of their necks, but nobody would listen! Dude, THAT one gav
  15. Wow Mackie, I have to say I think you "knifed" right to the heart of the matter there. (sorry for the pun) Well said! However, I suppose when you wrote that ending there about the idea of extremists of ANY sort attempting to foist their version of "idealism" upon the world, you DID mean to use the word "idealism" in the LOOSEST possible manner there, right?!
  16. > {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote} > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a black audience would object to seeing Cabin in the Sky or even Song of the South. > Don't know about *Cabin in the Sky* but they did object to *Song of the South* when it released. > > According to Neal Gabler's bio on Walt Disney, Walt was surprised and hurt by criticism and objections of the film but they did happen. > > > > > > There were also objections when the film was re-released in the 1970s as well. > Sorry, but I could never understand the
  17. > {quote:title=pturman wrote:}{quote} > > {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote} > > My gut feeling tells me that when an actor gets that involved the end product usually suffers. > I think you're right, James. And that's one of the reasons movies suck nowadays. Stars aren't the best judge of what good writing is or what their strengths are. But nowadays it's the star who rules the roost--who decides who gets cast, how a script is rewritten, etc. The star is boss instead of Ford or Hitchcock or Capra. To paraphrase that often heard line on TCM time fillers: "DAM
  18. Well, the way I look at it, Strasser got EXACTLY what was comin' to him! Nope, not because he was a NAZI (though, of course, that was bad enough), but because at the end of the flick the dude picked up that phone and was attempting to interfere with the whole Air Traffic Control System at the Casablanca International Airport!!! Heck, that ALONE will get ya a minimum of 10 years at any medium security prison here in the Good Ol' U.S. of A. today, folks! (...unless, of course, your name happens to be Ronald Reagan!!!) :^0
  19. > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Well, Mutt seemed reliable, but no rocket scientist. Good point again. However, as I recall, Mr. Duggan pretty much portrayed that sort in just about everything he was ever in. As you might recall, he was quite the regular guest star in many a television Western(especially) back in the '60s, and yep, pretty much played those rather "slow on the ol' uptake" kind of characters there, too.
  20. > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}I've noticed that most of the beautiful ladies I see today in newer movies on TV, I get to see only one time in one movie, such as Sean Young in Blade Runner. > > http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/br_004SeanYoung.jpg > > The next movie I see that has a beautiful actress in it, has someone new and different. > > Seems to me that leading ladies don't do a lot of great movies in a row, like they did in the '30s-'50s. Well Fred, while Sean Young was, and maybe still is, a beauty(don't really know, as I haven't seen h
  21. > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}...the big tall soldier who just disappeared. Yep. Duggan played Col. Mutt Henderson, the officer who helped Edmond O'Brien(Senator Ray Clark) escape from that El Paso Army Base, and who like Kirk Douglas' Col. Jiggs Casey, wasn't in on that whole "ECOMCON" conspiracy. Speaking of which, there might be a plot hole right there in Rod Serling's script. Why wouldn't Jiggs, otherwise the closest confidant to Lancaster's Gen. Scott, be in on the whole thing? (...still a great movie however...I always enjoy watching the verbal sparring in the Oval
  22. > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Keep in simpler----How about Kelsey Grammar and David Hyde-Pierce? That's why they were cast as brothers.. Good point finance, but I was attempting to go a little "off-script" here with the Andrew Duggan comparison. (...btw, the Duggan thing came to me while watching him last night in that small role he had in *Seven Days in May )*
  23. Well, ya know, James Dean only ever made three movies, and then nothin'! So, what was up with tha....... Oh, yeah, wait a minute. There was that whole Porsche 550 Spyder thing, wasn't there. (...sorry, never mind)
  24. Andrew Duggan Kelsey Grammar
  25. > {quote:title=Ascotrudgeracer wrote:}{quote}Have to say, Lancaster's finest screen performance was "Atlantic City" (1980). > Couldn't stand him as Elmer Gantry...so florid and corny; painful to watch. Academy must have liked it, obviously, but he would have been better with a tiny bit of restraint. Hmmmmm. Hey Ascot! I take it you've never caught Jimmy Swaggart or any of his "brethren" or "sisteren"(if that's a word) on your TV set as you're surfing channels, eh?! :^0
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...