Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MISS GULCH FEST!

Guest Griffin, Mark

Guest Griffin, Mark

Anyone out there agree that TCM should honor the most deliciously wicked character actress of them all with a tribute to Margaret Hamilton? Of course, she was perfectly terrifying in "The Wizard of Oz" but equally wonderful in scores of other movies as well ("Babes In Arms," "Saratoga," the original "13 Ghosts" and on and on...) By all accounts, Ms. Hamilton was the very antithesis of her crabby, cackling screen persona - a truly lovely lady with a very generous spirit. Oooh...Better yet...How about a "dueling" homage to Maggie and her "Oz" rival Billie Burke? TCM could feature one Maggie movie, then Miss Burke as one of her delightfully daffy matrons and so on...Tell me that wouldn't be a completely blissful day of programming?

Guest cooper, jeane

Great idea Mark! About the dueling "witches" or Maggie on her own. I remember reading once she was a teacher prior to her acting career. How ironic to be so involved in the children's education and then become of the "scariest" early memories of most kids.

Guest mongo

It's always a pleasure watching Margaret Hamilton at work especially in "My Little Chickadee" and "These Three" two films which happens to be in TCM's library. She was almost always presented as an old biddy however she was the sweetest person in real life. Long live Margaret Hamilton!

Guest son, jery

I saw a picture of Margaret Hamilton during the making of "Oz" and she's all dressed up in her witch's make-up and outfit and she's having lunch. But--she only has a wooden board for her dressing table and a broken folding chair for a seat. She said that MGM always did this to her. They gave the big dressing rooms to the stars and supporting players like her were shoved into broom closets and corners of the sound stage to have their breaks and meals. Maggie deserved better!

Guest mongo

Worse yet is that these so called "big" stars didn't have the manners to invite supporting players such as Hamilton into their dressing rooms to join them for lunch. Ugh.

Guest Griffith, David

It is a known fact that during the filming of "The Wizard of Oz", the MGM brass gave Judy Garland a big dressing trailer of her own. They had a big ribbon-cutting ceremony on the set with the Munchkins and Billie Burke and other MGM stars (including, I presume, Clark Gable and Greta Garbo) in attendance. Now I wonder if Judy ever invited supporting players like Margaret Hamilton or Frank Morgan into her trailer during the filming of Oz or any of the subsequent films?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Griffin, Mark

TRAILER PARK By all accounts, Judy was ordinarily sincere and friendly with all of her co-workers (particularly early on in her tenure at MGM). In fact, there are anecdotes in several Garland biographies detailing amiable conversations between Garland and Margaret Hamilton (though in which trailer these chats took place, I'm uncertain...) I seem to remember Margaret Hamilton recalling Judy's excitement regarding graduating from high school during the filming of "Oz" and there are also (depressing) stories about the fact that MGM did indeed give Judy her own trailer circa 1938 but they neglected to hand over the key to her. Truth or Hollywood legend - does anyone know for sure? If you were there, please e-mail me at: MarkGriffin@mpbc.org PS - I can't imagine the elusive Ms. Garbo mingling with Munchkins! (Though you never know...)