Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breathtakingly Beautiful

bansi4

Scenario: You walk onto a movie set (choice of era) and all of a sudden this movie star slowly turns around and your face to face. For a moment her beauty takes your breath away and your heart skips a beat.

Who is she?

For me she is Gene Tierney on the set of "Leave Her to Heaven" (1945).

You can also use the same scenario for the ultimately handsome male star.

Who is he?

Mongo

Buster Crabbe as Tarzan is a sight never to be forgotten. Wooo, those blonde curls, that glorious bod and his natural charm. Clara Bow in "Parisian Love" is another stunning vision who takes your breath away. Garbo in "Mata Hari" and as "Queen Christina" are also images that have burned themselves into my feverish little mind. There's one more: Don 'Red' Barry in 'Adventures of Red Ryder,' a Republic serial in l2 chapters, takes my breath away. Even though this serial was made in l940, that handsome Barry blazes across the screen, his two six shooters killing all the bad guys.

I'll never forget watching THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE for the first time and the camera panning slowly to this incredible female creature all dressed in white -- my breath-taking introduction to Lana Turner.

In making my choice of the gorgeous Gene Tierney I overlooked a beauty that once took my breath away. And

that was the lovely Debra Paget in "Bird of Paradise" (1951). I wanted to jump into the volcano with her.

Mongo

Made Up Or Not:

1. *Hedy Lamarr

2. Gene Tierney

3. Liz Taylor

4. Audrey Hepburn

Made Up:

1. Rita Hayworth

2. Marlene Dietrich

In A Potatoe Sack:

1. Montgomery Clift

2. Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

3. George Reeves

4. Rudolph Valentino

I see some of you have mentioned more than one person in your responses so I'm going to expand my list. In the #2 position on my list be Yvonne de Carlo. It doesn't really matter which movie, (nor does it with my #1 pick Hedy), but to fully answer Mongo's question I'll cite "Scarlet Angel".

• 2 weeks later...

Ive looked at lots of pictures, stills, press photos, etc. of lots of ladies in my life, and I can actually recall only twice actually going "WOW!!". Just seeing the pic just took my breath away, and just riveted me to that spot for what seemed like an eternity. The first was a picture of Marlene Dietrich, sitting in a chair, cigarette in hand, legs crossed, just looking at the camera. The second was a picture of Ann-Margaret, just a face shot looking at the camera, shimmering curtain behind her (maybe in Vegas?). These two pictures of these two stars certainly made an impression on me that I have never forgotten, and has never been repeated with any one else, either. Maybe I will look some more.....

• 2 weeks later...

Vivien Leigh! A gorgeous classic beauty, and from what I've read, just as beautiful "behind the lights", minus the max Factor Pancake and special lighting-a "daytime beauty" also. I would LOVE to have seen her in the flesh-true classic beauty is a rarity, especially these days-Vivien Leigh, the "pocket Venus"

There are so many beautiful leading ladies - I especially agree with the choices of Vivien Leigh and Grace Kelly. I also would put Olivia de Havilland in this category - I read that Warner Brothers producer Henry Blanke said "she was so beautiful it hurt."

This also reminds me of a funny story, contained in one of the many books about Dietrich, that there was only once in her entire life she was jealous of another women's beauty. Supposedly she was at some Tinseltown club one evening, full of stars, but seemingly everyone noticed when Hedy Lamarr descended the stairs that evening. Marlene said she actually took her breath away to look at her, as stunning as she was at that moment. Further, according again to this book, Marlene had to leave because there was no way she was going to be the second most-beautiful woman there that night!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived