Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breathtakingly Beautiful

I've been patiently waiting for someone to mention him, but no one yet has. So let's all take a moment to contemplate the thought of:

JEFFREY HUNTER, with his shirt off, in "In Love and War." Mamma mia!

Or in anything, for that matter, with or without shirt. He was a man for whom the word "beautiful" was entirely appropriate.

Funny you should bring him up! Over in Miscast Actors he was mentioned as being miscast in King of Kings. And, I don't mean to be sacrilegious, but, as I said in my comment in that thread, I like my Jesus beautiful. Couldn't take Von Sydow! Too much reality maybe!

Hello,

I am not going through all the pages of this thread to see if he was mentioned, but if you are talking about THE hunky, "shirt off" guy--Ricardo Montalban. I guess I am not supposed to notice "hunky...Ricardo Montalban". I blame my wife. She goes into another world every time you know who appears on my television screen. Impossible not to notice the object of her, uhm...concentration.

Pier Angeli. TCM's recent day of Angeli movies I recorded every one of the crappy things. Why? Because of the engaging Pier Angeli.

Rusty

Hunter as Jesus: I don't think the producers thought it was miscasting - I think they were going for ethereal, but manly. A tough combination. I'm a great fan of Von Sydow, but I couln't figure out why he was playing Jesus - weird.

For ethereal how about Robert Powell as an extraordinarily blue eyed Jesus in "Jesus of Nazareth." It's the NBC miniseries from 1979(?) In that one I thought the director, Franco Zefferrelli (sp?) at times went out of his way to emphasize his blue eyes almost as if that set him apart (in that Jesus would be different) from those that surrounded him. I thought he did a very good job. Love his voice.

In my opinion, Hunter was quite good in everything he did. He didn't have the career he should have had. As often happens, he may have been held back by his looks, with producers fearing he wouldn't be taken seriously. From what I've read about him, he also had a rather ineffective agent (who was his second wife), who didn't handle his career very well. Now I'm getting sad, thinking about the stupid household accident that led to his untimely death. Sigh.

> Funny you should bring him up! Over in Miscast

> Actors he was mentioned as being miscast in King of

> Kings. And, I don't mean to be sacrilegious, but, as

> I said in my comment in that thread, I like my Jesus

> beautiful. Couldn't take Von Sydow! Too much

> reality maybe!

Hi, I'm the heel that posted in Miscast about Jeff. I still don't like him in King of Kings, but I didn't like Von Sydow either. I actually like how Jesus is presented in Ben Hur, never seeing His face. You get to make your own conclusions as to what you believe He would looked like. James Caviezal (I probably got it wrong) was really pretty good looking in The Passion, but I think he's a pretty good looking guy.

Well, Hi ya there, rainee! Yes, you are the heel! Ha! Well, I thought that affect was great in Ben Hur, too! But, it was only a cameo, so it was VERY effective! But, I don't think I could take a whole movie about Jesus with no face! I don't think the audience would either. They have to have something to connect with! And, btw, I thought that guy in the passion was really handsome, too! If he makes any other movies, let me know. Maybe, I will go see one. NAW!

See, ya gotta get around! Ya never know when what you said it being discussed! Ha!

I have not gone through all the responses on this thread, to check if this name has arisen frequently, but I will mention her name and maybe we can divert some attention from the "Hedy" thread...now, wait a minute, all you Lamarr enthusiasts out there, I am sure there must be room for a number of women in our "universe of beauty"...bear with me, please.

Last night [incredible as it may seem] I watched my first movie with...

CAROLE LOMBARD

and I was riveted to the screen. The picture that I had of her in my mind was certainly of someone lovely, but I never thought that someone could be so...luminous.

The film I saw was "Vigil in the Night" with the luminous one, Anne Shirley and [the not-so-bad looking himself - a more brooding and charismatic version of George Brent, if I do say so] Brian Aherne.

I don't know how many serious roles Carole has in her filmography but I was quite taken with her performance in this film, and will seek out more of this side of her repertoire so that I may bask in the moonlit glow of her presence.

P.S. I will also put in a word for the equally riveting Nancy Kwan who has only improved with the passing years...

I haven't seen Vigil in the Night, and I don't know much about Lombard's serious side. I can certainly vouch for her talent and beauty in comedies. My favorite is Twentieth Century (1934), an early Howard Hawks screwball comedy. Other favorites include Hands Across the Table (1935; directed by Mitchell Leisen), My Man Godfrey (1936; directed by Gregory La Cava), Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1940; directed by Alfred Hitchcock), and To Be or Not to Be (1942; directed by Ernst Lubitsch). Universal just released a bargain-priced set containing six of her 1930s comedies crammed onto two double-sided DVDs. It's titled Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

A few minutes too slow and I have to redo it.

In addition to those mentioned by davidenglish you might like "Nothing Sacred." Dramams that might appeal to you are "In Name Only" with Cary Grant and "Made For Each Other" with Jimmy Stewart.

Message was edited by:

Me

I agree, I think that Carole Lombard was gorgeous in "In Name Only". She was fine as a dramatic actress. Her death in the airplane crash was a tragedy and a loss in more ways than one. Clark Gable was never the same. And the screen lost a beautiful presence of great potential-just look at what she left behind in her short time. I believe that she was only 33 when she died?

Two excellent choices for Lombard dramas. Although, Made for Each Other is so depressing and full of anxiety that I have only been able to watch it twice in my life. In Name Only, however, is one of the best dramas in my book. And, what a cast! The combination of Grant, Lombard, Francis is dynamite! Also, in the cast, in a very unsymathetic role, is Charles Coburn. I didn't like his character at all in this movie.

well, dpd, it could be something in the water...more likely just luck.

Something about Norma Shearer that disquiets me, though...most photos that I have seen of her make her look...crosseyed isn't quite the right word, but a little off-kilter...despite that, the only film that I have seen her in recently ["A Free Soul"] was a very good performance. I look forward to seeing more of her work.

Thanks for all the recommendations [both dramatic and comedic] of Lombard films to see - more pleasurable viewing is just what I need for the upcoming long weekend.

> I look forward to seeing more of her work.

Not sure how far ahead you're looking, but My Man Godfrey (1936) will be on TCM on Wednesday, July 5 at 8:00 a.m. eastern time. To Be or Not to Be (1942) will be on TCM on Tuesday, July 25 at 1:00 a.m. (late Monday night) eastern time.

I sometimes create a task in Outlook to remind me of a can't-miss showing. Then I set my DVR to record the movie for a later viewing.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

It's true -- and I don't look at it as a fault -- that Norma Shearer had a "lazy eye" (I believe that is the term wordmaster sought...). Shearer expert Mick LaSalle has written about this slight aberration and the difficulties it presented during her shoots. I find her eyes beguiling however...

I find her eyes beguiling, also! In fact, the more I see her, the less I notice it at all!

Once I had an English teacher; he taught Milton. He stuttered. It drove me crazy the first couple weeks. Then I didn't even hear it, he was so enthralling!

I have just been waiting for someone to bring that up, and it has gone unnoticed or unspoken for a long time, but here it is. Now, it is out in the open like Colbert's neck!