Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breathtakingly Beautiful

There you go, Jack...that explains what I was noticing...it's less noticeable as I see her onscreen vs. in photos.

Garbomaniac: [chuckling at the "Thumper" reference] Correct. We all have our flaws; this peculiarity certainly doesn't take away from my enjoyment of her acting talents.

DavidEnglish: Thanks for the heads-up re: upcoming Lombard films, esp. My Man Godfrey which I will put in my little notebook which sits on the table with my movie guides.

Wasn't she gorrrrgeous, indeed? And wasn't Made For Each Other gut-wrenching? Reminds me of Penny Serenade, another movie I can't rewatch easily.

But good, good stuff.

The crime about Carole Lombard, imo, is that she was both drop dead gorgeous and apparently real. I would have liked to have known what she became in her later years. I bet she would have been a pistol.

I have very much enjoyed reading this thread, which shows me that everyone has their own ideas about what is beautiful, and that my ideas are just as valid as anyone else's. It's also been useful to me in that many good points have been raised about performers I haven't much cared for in the past, but who I will now look at with a fresh perspective.

As we have already discussed - beauty was part of the business of film stars (whether it was overtly physical beauty, or that unnamble "something"), and it does indeed matter what we, the audience, think of them. I hope this thread continues, and that I can learn more from it. It can only help to increase my enjoyment of classic movies.

I've already cast my vote for the beautiful Jeffrey Hunter. I'm of the age that was young, impressionable, and prone to crushes when Hunter was constantly visible on the screen. Two others of that era who made my knees weak were Tab Hunter and Troy Donahue. Ah, Troy - in those white slacks! I know there are others out there who were under that spell as well.

Not funny at all, really. After all, some of the pretty ones were effective actors, too. And so Shatner got his big break when Hunter's wife/agent demanded more money than Roddenberry had in the budget.

The rest, as they say, is history.

idbl, the handsome Jeffrey Hunter gave good performances in "The Frogmen", "Red Skies of Montana", "The Searchers", "The Proud Ones", "No Down Payment" and of course as Jesus in "King of Kings".

It's was too bad that he missed out on getting the "Star Trek" role.

And speaking of Troy Donahue, my niece was crazy about him. I recall that we took her to New York for the premier of "Susan Slade" where she saw him in person along with Connie Stevens.

Later she would win a chance to have Thanksgiving dinner wih him, and other lucky fans. It was an event that she will always remember and she still has memoribilia from the occasion.

This makes me remember all those movies that Donahue, Stevens and others of their ilk were making in the early 60s. They are the equivalent of the "Dawson's Creek" TV shows of today (only with less explicit sex). All the boys and girls in those movies were beautiful, and we swooned for them.

I think Connie Stevens and Suzanne Pleshette (another starlet of the day who was in such films, and who was married to Donahue for about three months) are still beautiful.

I brought it up over in the "Norma" thread. It was indeed lazy eye,and she did exercises to control it for filming. I've read somewhere that It's a common condition in those of Scotch ancestry,who have light blue eyes(as she was and did).

She also didn't have the best legs-she wasn't a perfect beauty like Hedy-but she knew how to minimise her faults and maximise her good points,and in my eyes she was quite effective-she always appears beautiful to me :)

Yes, well, aw shucks -- Brooklyn DOES produce beautiful and fascinating women!

Ever since I was little, I've always liked the dark-haired actresses, especially the ones with light eyes, like Pleshette; that combination seemed very exotic to me. Taylor, of course, Loren, and Dana Wynter, who has been mentioned here as well, among others. There was another actress who was very like Dana Wynter - let's see -- Dawn Adams? She was in a Chaplin movie, maybe KING OF NEW YORK. Does anyone remember her?

As for Suzanne Pleshette's voice -- well, that's nothing unusual in Bklyn!

Oh, jdb1, believe me, I love Brooklyn. In fact, I love all of New York.

Agree on the combination of dark hair with light eyes....now, of course, an actress comes to mind, in many Lifetime-type movies in the past two (three?) decades. She had long dark hair and verrrry light green/blue eyes....very striking. She never made the jump to movies, but she was very pretty.

Hopefully a yout out there will remember her?

And, jdb1, the endings to both Bob Newhart shows were some of the best moments in television ever.

> Funny, jdb1, the biggest impression Jeffrey

> Hunter made on me was as Captain Pike on Star Trek.

LOL, I almost said the same thing. Garbo will be pulling up my driveway any minute with an RPG!

Movieman, I agree that Vera Miles is indeed a beautiful woman. I enjoyed her in most of her films, and she just missed the brass ring when she had to pull out of Hitchcock's "Vertigo", due to pregnancy. It would have made her a star.

She was one of Hitchcock's 'blondes' appearing in his "Psycho" and "The Wrong Man".

Speaking of Brooklyn, my favorite actress Barbara Stanwyck was also born there, as I myself was. Yay Brooklyn!

Ok, you guys! Poor Norma and Jeffrey! I'm goin' for the Rocket Propelled Grenade! Ha!

dpd, I must have missed your discussing Norma's eyes. Oh, well!

And, yes, stoneyburke, from what I read, Carole was a pistol! Beautiful, but a pistol!

And, I agree, movieman, I love Vera Miles. She was very pretty!

> Ok, you guys! Poor Norma and Jeffrey! I'm goin' for

> the Rocket Propelled Grenade! Ha!

Good thing my trained squadran of attack geese are out tonight, they may have to spread the alarm when we come under fire. Or at least wake up the attack dog.

I will say that Jeffrey was pretty fetching in The Searchers.

Hey, Mongo - your mentioning Vera Miles reminded me of another very pretty blonde - Martha Hyer. I used to confuse the two when I was younger. (I was very nearsighted - Miles and Hyer fans, please don't get upset.)

Yes, actress Martha Hyer was an attractive woman. She was swell in "Some Came Running" for which she got an Oscar nomination.

The cool blonde was also good in "Sabrina", "Houseboat", "The Best of Everything", "Ice Palace", "Wives and Lovers" and "The Carpetbaggers".

Widow of producer Hal Wallis, she is in her 80s and still looking good.

> I am SO UPSET!!! Martha Hyer is nothing like Martha

> Hyer. I mean Vera Hyer is nothing like Martha Miles!

> Oh, I mean! Just forget it!

GarboManic, you get so excited!! I never said Hyer was like Miles. I just said reading about one brought to mind the other, since they were both pretty blondes. And if I did find them similar - it would be an opportunity for a dialog, wouldn't it?

Usually, I don't have strong feeling about Grace Kelly one way or another-my eyes see that she is beautiful,but she doesn't really affect me. The great exception is in "Rear Window"-I don't know if it was the pairing with Jimmy Stewart or what,but she was not only her usual glamorous,beautiful, and chic self in that movie,her personality really came through. I love that movie,and I love her in it.

And I've been trying to find one of those vintage Mark Cross overnight bags ever since I first saw that movie :)

dpd, I sent you a list of emoticons on The Wiz thread.

And, you know I like Grace now, too. But, it took me a long time. She was one of the last ones I liked. I think what did it was seeing her in The Swan.

Ha! Yes, and her jewelry was beautiful in that movie, too! Along with her Rear Window wardrobe.

Thanks for the list,I'll copy it :) . I've seen a blue smiley used here-I looked up the source code to find out how it was done,but I've forgotten what it was. I wish that more of them were enabled here,like the little devil one,for one.

Grace Kelly had a gorgeous wardrobe in "Rear Window",and the elegant figure and the chic to look at home in it :)