Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breathtakingly Beautiful

And I loved Eva Marie Saint's voice in "North By Northwest"-it's sexy,but not stereotypically sexy-not "breathy" or husky or little girlish,just sexy.

Ever since I first saw Grace Kelly in "Rear Window",I've wondered where I could find a vintage Mark Cross overnight case just like hers in the movie-great product tie-in,that!

Oh, dpd! I just don't care for Eva Marie. She does nothing for me. She is kinda like Geoge Brent. We were talking about his lack thereof over in some other thread. Man, she has got lack thereof and lackluster. I really wished she were some other actress in Raintree County. Audrey would have been perfect!

Now, Grace, I understand. She was cool and beautiful and sophisticated. But, Eva, just doesn't get me. Sorry guys. I am sure she is a great gal! But, a movie star?

It's interesting how certain actors strike certain people. I like reading thoughts on this.

One of the Hitchcock blondes who gave me the willies was Tippi Hedren. Never got her, never will. I liked her daughter Melanie well enough until she blew up her lips, but Tippi -- meh.

I agree. Kelly may not have been taken seriously by some, but when she was gone, her absence was felt through comparison.

I don't see the fuss about Eva Marie Saint. She is very cool, to the point of freeze. She's like a block of pretty, vanilla ice cream. I find no energy at all in her acting, and while she wasn't bad, I don't think she deserved her Oscar. Kelly only seemed cool, when in reality she could be pretty steamy, given the right direction. Saint is much more acceptable to me roles as mother or wife, rather than as a tepid femme fatale. There were other blondes around at the time that Hitchcock could have used.

I think the trouble with Hedren was that she simply couldn't act. There are a few supposedly dramatic scenes in "The Birds" wherein she is really awful. She was better when she just had to run away from the birds and look - well maybe she couldn't quite manage terrified -- let's say "concerned." However, I always found her onscreen presence pleasant, at the least.

Message was edited by:

jdb1

Hey there, jdb. Yup, I'll take Hedren over Saint anyday! I have to admit, I liked Marnie. And, I liked Hedren in it. Her vagueness worked to her advantage in that film, and, oh yes, it had Connery in it, too!

You're right! There were so many other blondes he could have used: Angie Dickenson, Carol Baker, Jane Fonda, Anne Francis, Carol Lynley, Hope Lange, Dorothy Malone, and Martha Hyer! Why didn't he take Martha and make her a star?

He did use Kim, but I didn't care for that movie at all. Something funny about it.

think that he preferred a particular type of blonde-the cool,aloof,self-possessed,slim,chic blonde,not the "sexpot" or cutesy blondes. For instance,Jean Harlow or Betty Grable or Doris Day-I love them,but I don't think that they could've ever been Hitchcock blondes.

Grace Kelly was perfection in "Rear Window". In "Vertigo", the difference is clear-Kim Novak,while she's impersonating the wife,is a Hitchcock blonde,while Barbara Bel Geddes,though just as blonde,is not a Hitchcock blonde.

My problem with "Vertigo" is the same as someone else posted here-why did the husband go through all those convolutions to get rid of his wife,when he could've just pushed her from the bell tower? And I can't believe that kim Novak was so unhinged as to leap from the tower just because Jimmy Stewart was on to her-as her "real self",she seemed too tough to do something like that.

> Hey there, jdb. Yup, I'll take Hedren over Saint

> anyday! I have to admit, I liked Marnie. And, I

> liked Hedren in it. Her vagueness worked to her

> advantage in that film, and, oh yes, it had Connery

> in it, too!

>

>

>

> You're right! There were so many other blondes he

> could have used: Angie Dickenson, Carol Baker, Jane

> Fonda, Anne Francis, Carol Lynley, Hope Lange,

> Dorothy Malone, and Martha Hyer! Why didn't he take

> Martha and make her a star?

>

>

> He did use Kim, but I didn't care for that movie at

> all. Something funny about it.

I don't think Novak had whatever peculiar inner light is necessary to be a Hitchcock blonde. I was thinking of Dorothy Malone, one of the actors you mentioned, after I made the comment about lots of other blondes who could have worked for Hitchcock's films. She was good at sultry. I don't think Jane Fonda was subtle enough a performer in those days -- too "in your face." Dickinson seems a likely candidate, but Hope Lange - doesn't work for me. I found all her performances, except maybe for "Pocketful of Miracles," much too inhibited, with no implication of anything hidden deeper.

Martha Hyer would have been good, too, I think - she had that ladylike, pale transparency that belies a steely core - perfect for Hitch.

daddysprimadonna,

Quote:

"My problem with "Vertigo" is the same as someone else posted here-why did the husband go through all those convolutions to get rid of his wife,when he could've just pushed her from the bell tower?"

A very good question. Something that has to do with the character of villains...Hollywood style. Something else about movie bad guys--why does Goldfinger, or Dr. No (I forget who) leave his citadel of evil before the laser beam zaps James Bond's crotch? In real life, an evil genius would wait around specifically to watch James Bond get his genitals cooked. Right?

Rusty

I agree with most all of you! dpd, yes Grace was perfection in Rear Window. An exquisite creature bejeweled and begowned (?).

jdb, in your face is right. That was the time of Cat Ballou, Barefoot in the Park, and Any Wednesdy. She was just too bubbly, but that's when I loved her. I lost interest later. Dickenson, yes, might have done well, but I really think he should have tried Martha. She would have become a whole different package.

And, yes ken123, Dorothy was great as a brunette, but I just like her either way! She just doesn't get enough press anymore for my liking. Written on the Wind is one of my favorites.

I just watched that movie the other night,it was "Goldfinger". Why doesn't TCM show the old Bond movies(namely the Sean Connery ones,before Roger Moore & Co made them into cartoons)? I assume that they don't have the rights or something? Because they certainly show newer films than that. "From Russia With Love" is my all-time favorite Bond movie-I think it's the one that took Bond,and the story,most seriously,and Daniela Bianchi is gorgeous in it as "Tatiana Romanova". And Lotte Lenya is a hoot as "Klemp",LOL.

danielabianchi.jpg

tatyana.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Errol Flynn is breathtakingly beautiful in every way.

When Janet Leigh fist met him when they were filming That Forsythe Woman, she said she actualy gasped out loud because he was so beautiful.